Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula One Belgian Grand Prix

I have always said that that particular series would be better run by monkeys in white coats than the muppets that are currently in charge. I like seeing how one time champions and mere mortals alike are saying that F1 is on the verge of losing credibilty... How much credibility do they actually have to lose, after the crap that has been going on in F1 circles, for example Spygate, Mosleygate and other incidents to numerous to mention, surely, surely, the car manufacturing companies are waking up to the fact that the series they compete in is run purely by money hungry old farts which appear to be rapidly losing what little amount of sanity they previously held. Personally, I would be embarrased to be seen to be affiliated to such an organisation and I pray that the people in charge of the manufacturing companies and teams alike are seeing the light and are getting ready to vote with their feet and organise a new formula which really is the pinacle of motorsport instead of the glorified 'spec' series F1 has grown to be. And I say the sooner the better.
    End of rant.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I think you should single out "Mosleygate" from F1. FIA is not only F1, but all motorsports. So if you say Mosley has caused a loss of face for F1 than you should in stead say for motorsport in general.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What I also find outrageous is how much money Bernie Ecclestone and his companies are taking form the sport. Couple that with the FIA's questionable behaviour over the past... well 20 years? And you get a mess.

I imagine a series created and run by the teams - the FIA moans about cost-cutting but imagine how much money teams would get if they directly controlled the series and set up an independent body to govern the rules and make decisions. The rotating steward system employed by the FIA has come under fire before and is being brought back to the top after the current events.

What a big headed prat

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News - Hamilton puts Spa saga behind him
    Lewis Hamilton says he will not allow last Sunday's dramatic events in Spa to distract him at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza this weekend.

The McLaren driver was stripped of his Belgian GP win for cutting a chicane and the team are taking their case to the International Court of Appeal.

But Hamilton said: "I don't feel at all disheartened by what happened.

"I don't feel that there's a need for revenge. We want to win on the track. Winning in court is not what we want."

Hamilton had clinched a thrilling victory in Spa passing Ferrari rival Kimi Raikkonen, who later crashed out, as rain began to fall in the closing laps.

But the Englishman was handed a 25-second penalty that saw him drop to third and Ferrari's Felipe Massa promoted to race winner.

Officials judged Hamilton had gained an advantage by cutting the Bus Stop chicane in his battle with Raikkonen, but McLaren have lodged an appeal on the grounds that Hamilton immediately ceded the position back to the Finn.

The hearing will be heard by the court of appeal of Formula One's governing body, the FIA, before the end of the month.

With judicial proceedings under way, Hamilton had to watch his words but did say: "Everyone in the team thinks we've won the race on moral grounds.

"We just have to try our best to stay squeaky clean, stay out of trouble for the rest of the season, and not let them have any opportunity to put us in that position."

As well as examining whether Hamilton surrendered any advantage he gained by cutting the chicane when he let Raikkonen past him on the pit straight, the court may also examine the manoeuvre at the chicane.

Hamilton himself discounted suggestions that a lack of grip forced Raikkonen to brake earlier going into the chicane, causing the McLaren driver to veer off the track.

"We had the same amount of grip," said Hamilton. "That's the way he drives.

"If you don't have the balls to brake late, that's your problem.

"At the end of the day, in those situations, it's the driver who can feel the grip more, and put the car more on the edge.

"I'm great in those conditions, and I felt the grip more than he did. I knew where to place my car, I placed it in a different position to him and I found the grip."

For now, the 23-year-old is determined to put the appeal to the back of his mind and focus on the looming battle with Ferrari in Monza.

Hamilton arrives at the Italian marque's home race two points ahead of Massa in the drivers standings but believes McLaren have the upper hand going into the weekend.

"I hope what has happened does not have an effect, and I plan to make sure it has no effect on the championship," insisted Hamilton.

"I still have a two-point lead and we will continue to attack and perform like we did in the last two races. If anything we can use this [the Spa incident] as our fuel to keep pushing.

"Massa is on his back foot. He has to work damn hard to keep up with me.

"We do have a close battle but I'm in a very strong position. I have a great car and we will continue to take points from them.

"I feel like I'm coming away from a win and moving on to the next race.

"We're having a great season battling the Ferraris and it's a real pleasure. But I think we're coming here for a great win to beat them on home turf like last year."
    Porsche!

lol@ Alonso:
    autosport.com - F1 News: Alonso: Hamilton penalty was deserved

I've heard more than one driver pointed out that Hamilton would not have been able to make that move into the Chicane, as there would've been a wall....Perhaps Hamilton hasn't been around long enough to remember that, but Bus Stop had no run off before they changed the track, and that if he tried to outbrake someone and missed it would've been a crashed and destroyed car instead of escape road.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

"If you don't have the balls to brake late, that's your problem.
    Who sees a $ ten bazillion fine in the future for lewis.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Drivers making comments driven by political will just look stupid.
    Alonso knows fine that IF there was a wall there then no driver woudl take the risk of braking into the corner. The more risk their is the less likely the driver is to make it more difficult
    Problem is most folks who don't race don't realise that every corner IS a judgmenet on how close to the limit to go and the less risk of damage an error might cause then the closer to 100% you go. Alsonso does know that and so comes over as a d!ck
    It's why MOnaco is now a bore... too much risk, so no risky manevouvres
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade View Post
    What a big headed prat
    I dont know if i'd use those words myself, but surely a top level F1 driver knows the relationship between tyre grip and tyre temperature.
    I am the Stig

And surely a top level F1 governing board knows the decision it should make regarding a certain penalty, and will make.
    NOT!
    BTW When is this whole appela procees gonna happen? if the FIA decide right before Brazil, I'll kill 'em.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    And surely a top level F1 governing board knows the decision it should make regarding a certain penalty, and will make.
    NOT!
    BTW When is this whole appela procees gonna happen? if the FIA decide right before Brazil, I'll kill 'em.
    I read that it should be by the end of the month.

appeal is set for Sept 22....

What the drivers thought about the whole Hamilton deal:
    autosport.com - the Daily Grapevine: F1: The Edd Blog - Thursday at Monza

While I think giving back the position is enough, afterall there were no set standard in the letters of the rule as to what's giving up the advantage gained, the drivers seem to have a different understanding....which I guess makes sense as Massa pointed out in his interview, they do discuss stuff like that in driver's meeting....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

you watch the onboard camera footage from Spa

drivers going into the bus stop following one another are not in the position to out-brake at the following 1st corner

its the concertina effect

by diving off the road & keeping speed , LH gained huge ground on KR that he would have had no chance of doing otherwise

Ferrari have a history of getting cut slack from the FIA , not denying that . the penalty here was deserved

That only applies to a dry track. With a wet track where Hamiltons McLaren could maintain tyre temperature but Kimi's Ferrari was spewing it out, Kimi probably felt like he was driving on ice. Who knows what kind of move Hamilton couldve made going into La Source with a clean path through Bus Stop.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Who knows what kind of move Hamilton couldve made going into La Source with a clean path through Bus Stop.
    Probably not a similar one at least, as he would have been a bit further back (unless you meant if he hadn't tried a long shot pass at all in bus stop). Either way, apparently the FIA has now cleared the rule so that after cutting a chicane, one must wait after the next corner until attempting to overtake again.

Also apparently, none of the drivers thought that Hamilton shouldn't have been penalised. Whether the penalty was the right kind, is another issue. Obviously the loudest one to criticize Hamilton's move was Alonso...

Well the only available penalties were the 10 place grid penalty or the 25 second penalty. Most of the drives whilst agreeing he was right in being penalised, dont think he shouldve lost the win though. I think i'd rather lose what was only 4 points though with the 25s penalty. Had Hamilton been given a 10 place grid penalty, his best result would probably be a 3rd and thats starting from pole, so its still 4 points lost assuming he'd won and thats a best case scenario. It could easily be 5th though and 6 points lost considering Raikkonen, Massa, Kovalainen and Kubica all have the chance to stay ahead of him if he's starting around 11-13th.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information