Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans

Must be something near this:

"Dimethyl Ether (DME) — A synthetic diesel fuel derived from natural gas, an excellent candidate for direct-injection engines. DME contains no sulfur and burns more cleanly than conventional diesel fuel, so it produces fewer particulates. It behaves much like propane, and its cetane number is 55-60, up to 20% better than modern diesel fuel. However, the viscosity of DME is 10 times less than that of diesel fuel, which makes it difficult to find pumps and valves that will not overheat or leak. Also, the entire fuel system must be kept under a pressure of at least 5 bars at room temperature to keep the DME liquid until it is injected."

And this from Shell...if anyone was curious as I.

"This advanced fuel is designed to help the latest generation of diesel engines to continuously deliver power. In many countries Shell V-Power Diesel contains the same exclusive synthetic GTL(Gas to Liquids) Fuel technology used in the ALMS race fuel. Shell has led the introduction of this innovative fuel technology and is already supplying GTL Fuel as the special ingredient at the heart of Shell V-Power Diesel through some 4,000 Shell retail sites across Europe."
    Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 06-19-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Ah yeah GTL not LNG. My buddy is working on the construction of a brand new plant for that in Qatar.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Man, I missed a lot of it. I really am not into Le Mans (I should be though).

Does anyone have a video of the Audi losing its wheel?

Also, was there only just one Peugeot in the race?

Sorry, I'm a Le Mans noob.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Also, was there only just one Peugeot in the race?
    There where 2. Peugeot #7 retired on sunday morning, Peugeot #8 finished second overall.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    There where 2. Peugeot #7 retired on sunday morning,
    Early sunday afternoon, it had done enough laps to still be in the top 10 if the rules would allow "non-finishers"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Great report.

Any idea why the Saleen's where not the GT1 cars to be scared of, as the other GT1 teams thought before the start?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

The Saleen's haven't had a very successful of a career as far as winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Great report.

Any idea why the Saleen's where not the GT1 cars to be scared of, as the other GT1 teams thought before the start?
    The cars were not built to the standards of the Works 'Vettes and Astons. Oreca did a hell of a job to get them where they are now, but they did not built the Saleens.

(Ted Joans)

Truly superb pics as well, Wouter.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisP View Post
    Truly superb pics as well, Wouter.
    Thanks

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Ask them about the fuel...I have my suspicions the race fuel is quite different than can be purchased by the average diesel consumer...in fact I'm thinking to call the Audi and Peugeot 'diesels' is very misleading.

Anyone have any details on the race fuel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Yes just like the V-Power diesel we get at the Shell pump here. It's derived from LNG, if I remember correctly.
    this fuel..... ok we dont get it here in Aus...... it is performance diesel is it? ummmm like i am struggling to understand diesel is something i am working on learing more about.... this is like V-Power petrol that we get here (higher octane ect) but for the diesel engine.... how do they do this? more octane would change the characteristics of the diesel making it like petrol...... yes? making the whole thing blow up......... does it run cleaner?

from what i hear on the you tube they dont sound like trucks they sound almost silent..... trucks are the opposite even the huge exhausts on the done up cars are muffled to the sound of the trucks here......

this is my 2 cents on it

peugot did very well..... super well! i was surprised in fact.... i would have put money on audi to win cos i thought that they would have too much experience under them and well we have seen what the R10 can do after last year (which i am calling a rookie win even though they had won it 5 times before with the R8) and the peugot was a newbe..... they have been out of sports car racing for what 15 years thats a long time in this buisness. nether the less they are peugot..... they will be back very bloody quickly.... we can all remember what happened when the turned up in rally with the 206 almost instant success!!!!

next year will be a good race a very good race when they have ironed out some of the problems with the car and when we start seeing versions 2 and 3 of peugot and audi respectavly then we can fight about it more.

also.... how was the last R8 win a fluke?
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Some new wallpapers from Le Mans:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...ll.php&rid=119

(Ted Joans)

Wouter,
    Just how much sleep do you get during the race?? I mean you had some cherry sunrise shots and really sweet night shots... Makes me think that you are some kind of superhuman reporter/web site owner etc.!!
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen View Post
    Wouter,
    Just how much sleep do you get during the race?? I mean you had some cherry sunrise shots and really sweet night shots... Makes me think that you are some kind of superhuman reporter/web site owner etc.!!
    well there are many people that don't sleep even through entire race people working in the pits can get some sleep but usually in very small amounts, so that's not effective either
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information