Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1939 Chevrolet All Enclosed Coupe

1939 Chevrolet All Enclosed Coupe

Check out this '39 Chevrolet featuring Holden's locally built and Oz-unique All Enclosed Coupe bodystyle aka the Sloper, which could be described as an early form of the Hatchback. In effect it was also an early predecessor of the Monaro!

1939 Chevrolet Sports Coupe - eBay Pre-1940, Collector Cars

Holden produced their Sloper designs onto a variety of imported GM chassis including Oldsmobile, Buick and Vauxhall. They were a popular seller in the pre-war era (especially the Chevrolet variant) but nowdays are rare, especially when presented in original unmolested condition as with this example.

The Sloper bodystyle with its distinctively 'hunched' and sweeping fastback roofline was also seen on a range of other locally-bodied vehicles including Ford V8s and the various sub-brands of Chryslers, along with some of the smaller Independant US marques.

Unfortunately I am unable to 'save' the 'enlarged pictures' portfolio of the e-Bay advert, to download as attachments for a permanent UCP record. If anyone is capable of doing so and can download them here while the advert remains, I would be most grateful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the shape is seen on other brands as well (it looks a bit Pierce Silver Arrow inspired), but the folding rear seats surely are a novelty. Did they get any money from the patent when estates and hatchbacks started to use it? Renault 16????
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the shape is seen on other brands as well (it looks a bit Pierce Silver Arrow inspired), but the folding rear seats surely are a novelty. Did they get any money from the patent when estates and hatchbacks started to use it? Renault 16????
    Much earlier came the Citroen TA Commerciale, introduced in 1939 with a split opening hatchback, and later in 1954 with a single piece hatch.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I should have know Citroen is first with everything.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the shape is seen on other brands as well (it looks a bit Pierce Silver Arrow inspired),
    "Oz-unique" meaning that this 1935-intro 'Sloper' fastback bodystyle was not replicated among the various overseas versions & models of any of the cited marques. For example GM-US did not offer the fastback bodystyle on their range of cars until the early 1940s.
    but the folding rear seats surely are a novelty. Did they get any money from the patent when estates and hatchbacks started to use it? Renault 16????
    I've wondered that myself Henk but have no answer

Btw this method of rear seat folding was also utilised in Holden wagons from their earliest models through to the later 1960s.
    Last edited by nota; 02-11-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Slopers were 1935 intro, not 1934

I was referring in general to the type of body style. It also reminds me of some Gurney-Nutting creations on Bentleys and Rollers. (the rear par that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4

it looks a bit Pierce Silver Arrow inspired

It also reminds me of some Gurney-Nutting creations on Bentleys and Rollers
    Thats not bad company for the Slopers to be in, I'd say!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Thats not bad company for the Slopers to be in, I'd say!
    Contrary what you may be used to, sometimes my comments are actually meant to contain some praise

^^ No worries

I should have know Citroen is first with everything.....
    btw in respect of the '39 Commerciale, is it true that its rear seat did not fold or collapse, but instead had to be unbolted and physically removed from the vehicle to gain access to the extended load floor? If so, its claim to be a 'hatchback' in the accepted modern sense seems no more credible to me than these earlier, 1935-intro, Holden Slopers.

Probably less credible imho...

btw in respect of the '39 Commerciale, is it true that its rear seat did not fold or collapse, but instead had to be unbolted and physically removed from the vehicle to gain access to the extended load floor? If so, its claim to be a 'hatchback' in the accepted modern sense seems no more credible to me than these earlier, 1935-intro, Holden Slopers.

Probably less credible imho...
    Being a hatchback or not doesn't have to do with the seats, does it?

As far as I know though, the Familiale had three rows of seats and the Commerciale only two. This morning I was triying to search wheter the back seats folded or not, but I couldn't find anything, so I'll take it that you are right. It's still a hatchback though.

And by the way, Citroen weren't the first at everything. Because Lancia was.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And by the way, Citroen weren't the first at everything. Because Lancia was.
    the word "breakdown"springs to mind

Being a hatchback or not doesn't have to do with the seats, does it?
    A folding seat is a prerequisite I would have thought, at least within the modern 'hatchback' idiom .. and how else but within that idiom can we determine & define this recently coined genre?

Otherwise what is the fundamental difference between the hatchback genre and a wagon w/ one-piece tailgate (eg VW Type 3 Variant)

I can't recall any hatchback of modern times (ie from within the era when the term 'hatchback' appeared) that didn't have a folding seat..?

Because of its folding seat (and rear access to the cabin despite its non-wagon shape) the Sloper is imho far closer to hatchback status than is the Traction Commerciale which, due to its fixed rear seat, is to my view less of a hatchback than the Mk1 Cortina station wagon!

Otherwise what is the fundamental difference between the hatchback genre and a wagon w/ one-piece tailgate (eg VW Type 3 Variant)
    Rear overhang?
    Visca Catalunya!

Rear overhang?
    Nope

(btw can you think of any hatch which has six sidelights (side windows) as per the old Cit)

Yep, the old Ibiza.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information