Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Boulay is a fraud and loser

Oliver Boulay is a fraud and loser

I was walking along today and saw a new Magna, so I thought about the whole situation and decided to have a long overdue rant about why Oliver Boulay is a fraud. For those who don't know, Oliver Boulay is the french designer brought in by Mitsubishi to give it a 'global face', as is the new trend in Japan.

In Australia, Mitsubishi's mainstay product is the FWD Magna, a large-ish sedan, rather handsome, and competed well with Toyota's Camry. The AWD Magna VRX was a bit horn, too. Anyway Mitsubishi wanted a global face so dear Mr. Boulay got scribbling away and came up with one (on a napkin by the way, real professional, Oliver). Anyway over in down under Mitsu Aus had a design all lined up to refresh the Magna and bring it in line.

So what does Boulay do? Comes along, designs his own and unleashes it on the Aussie public. It's ugly, no matter which way you spin it. The base models look ridiculous, the front lights are only matched by the ES300 for sheer size, and its still got the old back end. What the hell? This is a seriously confused car, and its sales have plummeted because of it. And now Boulay has come out and said "It was meant to be controversial" No, you sad little liar, it wasn't. Chris Bangles designs are controversial, yours are lazy. You probably just wanted to feel like you have an actual job so you raped the looks of what was an otherwise OK looking car. I hate Oliver Boulay so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i thought he was brought in by DaimlerChrysler, but i could be wrong. i remember when he first worked on the clay models, he got like a coping saw to the old model to start the design of the new model, not really an assuring sign for the design team i bet....
    I am the Stig

well said, the TJ magna was a nice looking car. the face (front) of the new magna looks like a smacked ass...
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

Mitsubishi and Subaru have both had big pushes for global faces. I'll admit that Mitsubishi's is pretty cool, but what Boulay did to the Magna is unforgivable. Subaru's however, is hideous.

But lets not get lost in details. I hate Oliver Boulay and a blind monkey with no arms and narcolepsy could have done a better job on the Magna

Yeah the magna look is not so good, I dont know what they were thinking with that front end,
    Got some VR-VS grill there gone wrong
    Some complain about holden having the one car and just face lifting it, I'm sure Magna this shape has been around since 96 ??
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

To be sure its bad budgeting from Mitsubishi to expect a FWD platform to last almost a decade...

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferous
    To be sure its bad budgeting from Mitsubishi to expect a FWD platform to last almost a decade...
    i have been in several magnas and a good mate of mine a had a TJ VRX and all were rear wheel drive. i have never heard before that any magna was a front wheel drive??

All Magna's were FWD except for a couple of sports models and renge toppers, which had a transplanted EVO AWD system underneath

All Magna's were FWD except for a couple of sports models and renge toppers, which had a transplanted EVO AWD system underneath
    well i am 100% sure that my mates TJ (previous model) magna is rear wheel drive. the proof was presented with many burnouts done...

well thats quite the coup there
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    well thats quite the coup there
    hehe i am not disagreeing the new models are fwd my mates was a vrx so that may explain having rwd. also it was like a 2001 or 2002 model, before they introduced awd.

but yeh i never realised that all magnas were fwd... ahh well lowers my opinion of the car even more...

EDIT: perhaps i am wrong...

http://www.mynrma.com.au/magna-tj_mitmagtj_specs.asp
    Last edited by @wall; 11-15-2004 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typo...

my dad until i told him didnt realise my mums 98 Camry was FWD so i guess its a hint to how much FWD has pushed its way into the market.

i think it was super touring or something like that, a couple of years ago they ran a V8 Magna with RWD drivetrain, possibly treading water for an entry into V8 Supercars, so its been done on the track. the only way i'd tackle a road car like that would be to play around with an AWD model......but you say youve seen this RWD Magna doing burnouts....pitty you dont have any pics
    I am the Stig

Subaru's however, is hideous.
    Liberty has smooth styling, perhaps its a little bland, but its certainly not hideous. Impreza? Lets just call it controversial.

Bad budgeting, or just no budget? I don't think its got anything to do with the FWD layout - Mini was around 40 years before it was killed. Current Camry is using basically same drivetrain as the '93 one and its still considered to be a very refined product.
    I think, but I'm not certain, that Mitsubishi will be retaining most of the existing floorplan, suspension and driveline in next years Magna/Galant replacement. I think new engines are on the way though.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

i think theyre pretty confident about getting the 3.8L V6 out of the Pajero, but good for more than 150kw of course

the next Camry though i think will be using the Japanese floorplan rather than japanese styling with the previous floorplan.
    I am the Stig

my dad until i told him didnt realise my mums 98 Camry was FWD so i guess its a hint to how much FWD has pushed its way into the market.
    In something like 90% of driving circumstances it would not be possible to know which end was doing the driving.
    For example, in normal driving conditions, if you could drive blindfolded it would not be possible to tell whether the Falcon BA is FWD or RWD. In corners it displays typical neutral to understeerish attitudes. Drive the Camry blindfolded at normal speed and in normal conditions and it will exhibit neutral to understeerish cornering attitude.
    You can tell the Falcon is RWD when; a) it is wet and the rear tyres break traction under harder than normal acceleration; b) under extreme cornering situations when oversteer will eventually happen.
    You can tell the Camry is FWD when: a) it rains and you feel the front wheels break traction and possibly feel torque steer through the steering (not all FWD cars I've driven have torque steer - 4 cly Camry doesn't really, not enough power. Not sure about V6); b) under extreme cornering situations it will either understeer badly, or if its a Focus or Clio break into oversteer - though it won't be quite as easy to correct as in a RWD.
    Towing and very rough road will also tend to betray which end drives.

However, whatever differences there are between FWD and RWD, I stress again in 90% of all driving situations, the average driver will not notice or care. Thus, it is easy for people to not realise Camry and Magna are FWD.

i think it was super touring or something like that, a couple of years ago they ran a V8 Magna with RWD drivetrain, possibly treading water for an entry into V8 Supercars, so its been done on the track. the only way i'd tackle a road car like that would be to play around with an AWD model......but you say youve seen this RWD Magna doing burnouts....pitty you dont have any pics
    It was a Future Tourer and had a 5.0 litre Holden V8 and a 4-speed gearbox. It was supposed to be a control typre affordable saloon class, but never took off. The Konica series took its intended role.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thread Information