Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Random Car Crashes

Yeah in this thread you ahve to be precise.

Likely 90% of locaterfields are "hans compatible" as most use full harness.
    I know of only a few who run with only diagonals.

Price an issue still with HANS and at the moment I dont know of anyone actually USING one.
    Though one guy was waiting for a custom shoulder pads getting made for his OMS and then crashed the car - badly. So he crashed with no HANS. 12 breaks in one leg , 4 in the other, 3 in the arm and one heel "destroyed". Carbon Fibre crash helmet has a split. He woke up within a minute of hitting a tree at ~100mph head on and asked if he got a time for the run His £1000 HANS capable helmet is destroyed, he is safe and HANS had nothing to do with it. Anecdotal, BUT not all accidents need HANS.

THe red westfield flip was a no HANS car, he stepped out of it.
    Generally, in hillclimbs, you dont have the same types of accidents as on circuits jsut because of the confines of the hillclimb and many debate if ANY benefit of HANS and some complain of the restriction if fitted correctly to be of use. We often end up looking out the side of our hillclimb/sprint cars on very tight corners WHen I first trialled HANS configuration I was rallying and found it far too restrictive and for the speeds we did decided on the side of "not needed" for the small chance of actually having that level of head whip and not in a position to prepare for it.

In case the shift light question is regarding one's I've posted, then hell yes.
    Results in hillclimbs can often be determined by 1/100s and so getting it right is crucial.
    There are £1000s invested in gearboxes and speed-match shifters for up and down and woudl then be silly to rely on the sound or worse be looking at a dial.
    120mph in a 9ft gap between mature trees there is only ONE place you want to be looking
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-29-2011 at 03:06 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    they are one of the worst things to hit , they are (literally lol) rooted to the ground & you need overwhelmingly massive speed & force to snap a decent sized tree off
    As well as the stabled rooting it's because they initially flex on the first impact. On man made items the flex is gone and so the initial high G impact force will shear it. The tree absorbs the first hit but then no more
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Just happen yesterday R35 crash drove by car jockey

more in here

So, can anybody explain how that car hydroplaned and flipped so easily? The way I see it, it's like pushing/sliding a sheet of paper on a smooth table in the breeze. Not enough front downforce?

*I'm referring to that Le Mans crash video in the first page.
    Last edited by PRC777; 07-15-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Savageduck View Post
    Yup!
    I was headed South on California Hwy 101, and had one of those fatigue head nods. I found myself heading off the shoulder to the left. I over corrected to the right, and snap-rolled a couple of times, and then slid upside-down into the hillside on the right. At that point the airbags went off and blew my right hand off the wheel and through the smashed moonroof. Unfortunately the car was on its roof and sliding, so that hand got chewed up quite a bit. Otherwise I was left hanging upside-down from my seatbelt with no other injuries other than a seat belt burn across my shoulder & chest.
    that sounds like a rough crash. glad you made it out ok!

I was driving by an intersection in my area and passed by a three-car collision. It was just after sunset and getting dark but there was enough light to take photos. Fortunately, there was no ambulance at the scene so it looks like nobody was seriously injured.

Ironically, this is the same intersection and streets where I like to watch traffic. (It gets very busy from 5 to 6 PM because the northbound lane leads to a freeway on-ramp.)

Here are some of the photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Wow just after two 18 hour shifts that happened?!! I managed to drive home just fine, car in tact after being up four days straight with no sleep while we were building our custom car shop!! Hmmmmm.....

Thread Information