Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boss v Shelby. Finesse or brute force?

I'd probably take the Shelby, since I don't think I'd end up tracking my car all that much, but I can't say for sure.

I do like the Boss (especially the Laguna Seca version), but I personally would rather have an M3.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

I took out our new TL today. When I was younger, I dreamed of supercars and going very fast. Then I came here, and I read the knowledge of an old man named Ferrer. He said slow can be good.

I don't like slow, but even in the "modest" FWD 280 hp 3,700 lb TL, you can accelerate pretty damn well (not as quick as I'd like, but damn quick).

My favourite car is probably the F355. It has 380 hp and weights around 3000 lbs. In the Acura, I often find myself hovering around speeds (150 km/h) where police in Ontario can fine you 10 grand and take your seize your car (though this is being challenged in court as I understand). When I am on the highway and have a gap in front of me, the TL seems to beg me to go faster. Speed feels so effortless in it compared to the Golf, and it is so quiet and the chassis so compliant that going fast is easy. I want to give it more gas, but fear the consequences.

I don't condone fast driving like this, but it is fun, and I only really do it with a lot of space and only from time to time.

None the less, I can't imagine what the F355 would be like to drive. I would constantly want to gun it everywhere.

All the above brings me here. The Boss has over 400 hp, and the Shelby 650. I cannot use that power here. In Ontario, if you get caught going at the speeds you would want to go driving those cars you would end up in jail. 400 hp is a ton, and 650 is mind bending. I would always be wanting more with these. On a track, sure, it'd be a blast.

On the street, I don't even know.

Even my favourite car, an aging Ferrari is far too fast for the roads around here.

This kinda makes me sad as someone who likes cars and likes going fast.

Slow is good indeed. Except in the motorway, where it is hopeless and it gets progressively worse as you increase the speed (which is... well... obvious). Slow makes you a better driver, more aware of your sorroundings, your shortcomings and the car's. and if you pair it with a good chasis you can have quite a lot of fun (like in the Hyundai, which a good chasis, but shit everything else).

However.

Fast is better. Fast improves everything, makes everything you do more exciting. Speed is an experience which has to be lived in order to appreciate and understand it. Numbers are meaningless, sensations and feeling everything.

Long life to cars like the Shelby and the Boss!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

With all the environmental fuzz going on, we should really be thankfull that these machines are designed and built.

Unfortunately the gas prizes + special gas guzzler tax on such automobiles does not create a climate for that in our country. The new V8 Camaro costs €90.000 here, where in France you will pay €40.000.

Deep in my heart, I would drive a no holds barreled V8 of course. In reality, I drive two econoboxes which can hardly reach 100 km/u under 20 seconds. Shit happens I guess.

Boss, I think its a nicer looking package and probably a better value....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Boss wins, as it's probably the most refined purpose-built and street-legal Stang ever. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Shelby is mostly about raw power which is surely fun, but nothing you couldn't achive by mounting a stupidly large supercharger by yourself.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Neither, I'd go for the much cheaper GT and build it my way. However, if one was offered free of charge, I'd grab the GT500 in a heartbeat. The Boss has not seen as many changes compared to the base GT as Ford will have you believe. There are only a few upgrades that you can't do yourself, which basically leaves the Boss as a very expensive sticker package. Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but I don't like the hype.

As for the power, I've said it before and I'll say it again: you get used to it. My car is very similar to these two cars, only it produces more power than the G500 and weighs less than the Boss. Trust me, you get used to it. Of course, I take it to the track in order to enjoy it to its fullest potential, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving it to and from work.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    The Boss wins, as it's probably the most refined purpose-built and street-legal Stang ever. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Shelby is mostly about raw power which is surely fun, but nothing you couldn't achive by mounting a stupidly large supercharger by yourself.
    When you order a Shelby Super Snake they start with a GT500 and replace all the GT500 suspension with upgraded parts....so it isn't just a straight line car.

I'm not sure I want to be nudging on the exciting part of 200 in a car with a live rear axle, though...
    Visca Catalunya!

The Boss is around 300lbs. lighter than Super Snake....which would make major difference on track.

Wait, weren't we comparing Boss with regular GT500? If the Super Snake is involved that might sway my opinion somewhat.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Agreed. The Super Snake falls into the "so crazy it just might work..." category.
    Otherwise a de-decaled Boss by a country mile.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

TBH there may not be much difference in the 2013 GT500 if you read what is available including a 'Track Pack' option. Well, 200hp difference.

2013 Boss 302SX: Why are people still driving M3s?

Great News! Now you can have everything you love about the Boss WITH 500hp.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

But it doesn't do 200...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information