Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine lubricants.

Red Line is good too. Look it up.

I'm sold on Amsoil through and through. I use it in all my vehicles, including my gas powered lawn tools. The person I purchase it from is a retired Ford automotive engineer, so he should know a little about cars. His website is packed full of information, in addition to what the Amsoil site includes. The prefilter system is so amazing, you'll have trouble believing it if you are new to the Amsoil products. Great products. I hope they're around as long as there are piston driven engines to lubricate. I really don't believe you can get any better lubricants.

I bet your using it on your gas powered flagelator

You Betcha, Nota!

Keeps me puttering along smoothly, Nota.

I haven't used any motor oils, but I hear Red Line Synthetic Oil is pretty good stuff. Jay Leno uses that stuff in all his old cars.

Has anyone used it before?

Castrol, Motul and Mobil 1 all sound like great recommendations though.

We use Red Line for diff/trans lubrication at the race shop, no issues as of yet. It usually gets changed after each race, or every other.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawgie View Post
    I'm sold on Amsoil through and through. I use it in all my vehicles, including my gas powered lawn tools. The person I purchase it from is a retired Ford automotive engineer, so he should know a little about cars. His website is packed full of information, in addition to what the Amsoil site includes. The prefilter system is so amazing, you'll have trouble believing it if you are new to the Amsoil products. Great products. I hope they're around as long as there are piston driven engines to lubricate. I really don't believe you can get any better lubricants.
    The Australian distributor of Amsoil is also the distributor of Neo oils, and prefers the later.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    If I were using synthetic in my car, it'd have to be RedLine. Great reputation and the only one which comes with the ZDDP I need for my flat tappets (adding ZDDPlus to my oil sounds like a pain). At the moment I use Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel engine oil since it's the only one on the market with any significant amount of ZDDP left in it. At $11/gallon, it's a pretty good deal too.

If not for the flat tappets, I'd go with AmsOil - which is what I used to use before I read about needing to have the ZDDP!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    If I were using synthetic in my car, it'd have to be RedLine. Great reputation and the only one which comes with the ZDDP I need for my flat tappets (adding ZDDPlus to my oil sounds like a pain). At the moment I use Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel engine oil since it's the only one on the market with any significant amount of ZDDP left in it. At $11/gallon, it's a pretty good deal too.

If not for the flat tappets, I'd go with AmsOil - which is what I used to use before I read about needing to have the ZDDP!
    Valvoline makes a higher ZDDP engine oil, Valvoline VR1, they market it as racing engine oil. If I remember correctly it is probably half the cost of what you are buying now.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Yeah, but at work the thinnest we sell is a 20w50 in the VR1 otherwise, I also have heard good things about it.

Yeah, but at work the thinnest we sell is a 20w50 in the VR1 otherwise, I also have heard good things about it.
    At AutoZone they had a synthetic VR1 which was 10w30, but it's more expense than the 20w50. Still I think the synthetic was only like $8/quart, not sure what pricing is in your area but may be worth a look depending on how much you are using.

Valvoline.com > Products > Motor Oil > Racing Motor Oil > Valvoline® Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor Oil

Hmm, my AutoZone carries just a straight 50w or 20w50, nothing else. From what I've seen, most of the other oil retailers here carry the same - probably because of Texas' relatively warm climate. I can get the Rotella for the equivalent of $2,75/qt ($11 for a gallon jug), 15w40, 10w40 or 10w30 is what my engine takes.

Would fork over the $8/qt for the VR1 if one of those lighter weights were readily available here.

One of my co-workers ran it in his heavily modified SRT4, and swore by it.

Hmm, my AutoZone carries just a straight 50w or 20w50, nothing else. From what I've seen, most of the other oil retailers here carry the same - probably because of Texas' relatively warm climate. I can get the Rotella for the equivalent of $2,75/qt ($11 for a gallon jug), 15w40, 10w40 or 10w30 is what my engine takes.

Would fork over the $8/qt for the VR1 if one of those lighter weights were readily available here.

One of my co-workers ran it in his heavily modified SRT4, and swore by it.
    I just realized you originally said $11/gallon....I read that as $11/quart....sorry about that

Shit, 40K is way too long
    Even if you drive it like a granny the oil isn't working it's best.
    Stick to manufacturers recommended intervals OR SOONER if you cane it.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is a new SAE API motor oil standard coming soon. The new requirement will be for the oil to suspend deposits longer for longer oil change intervals. I don't know what 'longer' means because I haven't seen the details.

Thread Information