Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WRX STi. What of it?

WRX STi. What of it?

I'm a lucky bastard. I drive a 2004 STi. Unlike most of the people I know here in Arkansas, I actually use mine for the purpose for which it was bred. I'm hoping to spark interestng debate over the merits of the STi vs. other sports cars in its class, Boxter, M3 (if I'm lucky), Supra, Muskrat GT/Cobra, Corvette, and of course that damn Lancer EVO. If i've missed any (I have) let me know about them, and why I should be interested. Go To Work.

If I was offered the choice between an STi or an EVO, I'd take the EVO, but it'd probably take me a long time to choose. I prefer the EVO over the STi in the looks department, but for noise, nothing beats a scooby flat-four turbo with a big bore exhaust having the nuts revved of it. Music to mine ears.

As for the other cars you've listed, when it comes to performance/speed they all may record the same time around a track or down a strip, but they all go about it in different ways which appeal to different people. The Boxster and M3 use good 6cyl power, but use modern, stiff, advanced and frankly excellent chassis' and suspension tune to get their speed, and that's what a lot of people want. Others like the Corvette/Stang/Supra method, capable but not amazing handling skills, but made up with good ol' fashioned, balls-out horsepower. The STi and EVO use their huge computer controlled AWD grip and handling to get the job done.

Out of all these, I'd have the devil's job choosing between an M3 or EVO. But I'd take an EVO, (then take it to MRT for a bit of engine and suspension upgrading ) it's just what I like. I think with the cars you've listed, speedwise (track speed and actual speed) they're all pretty much equal, but it's what you like that'll make you choose.

Oh, and you should include the RS4 and Z4M in this as well.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I'd love to see Matra's take on this.

Anyways, have we seen an EggNog test yet?

before any UK users say it, FQ400>Sti
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'd take the EVO IX MR, that car is really awesome, so is the FQ400 though...AWD...meh...understeer...

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    before any UK users say it, FQ400>Sti
    Sorry mate, what do you mean?

I think I would have to devise some kind of flip-up way of choosing between an Evo and an M3. I'm completely in agreement with 2ndclass as to relative merits of a Scoob and the Evo - and with the methods of picking one over the other - it's purely a decision for the heart; the brain would just get confused if you asked it. Although the Evo is a bit more tail happy.

In the end I think I would take the CSL if it counts, manual gearbox and 18in wheels M3 if it doesn't - I just love the straight six noise (old skool racing cars baby) and the purity of the approach: great chassis; 50:50 weight; rear wheel drive. It's all about balance in that car - and there's the oppurtunity for more 'real-world speed' fun in a rear driver with little in the way of driver aids, and I'm not talking about power oversteer. You have to be hammering along in one of those road rally cars to really feel involved (and I have driven them) whereas the M3's limits are lower, so can be enjoyed more at speeds that don't mean gaol time!

I'm also a big fan of German engineering.

On a different note, I saw my first M5 on the road (not a motorway) yesterday and I love it! I pointed it out to a few of my mates, and they couldn't figure out what I would be bringing their attention to! It looked great.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

old sti < new sti < all evos

Id take the STI over the evo, if you put the wrx wing on it instead of the STI it looks alot better and lil less childish.

But as for the other cars are concerned id like the M3, best mixture of style, performance, and comfort.....
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Sorry mate, what do you mean?
    you DO know what an FQ-400 is right?
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    old sti > new sti > all evos
    So the old STi is greater then all EVO's, i like the way you think
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 06-10-2006 at 11:17 AM.

oh dear

9 < 10

369 > 257

hope it helps......
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    oh dear

9 < 10

369 > 257

hope it helps......
    man pwned
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Another way to look at it:

Mine's > yours.

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    oh dear

9 < 10

369 > 257

hope it helps......
    lol im tired today and i was looking at it wrong

I would take the Subaru Spec-C if it stood between an Evo and Sti. I love that car and it also got great reviews from the magazine EVO. But, included the other cars mentioned, I would have to go with a BMW M3 CS.

The Honda S2000, although not M3/EVO territory, would be the car i would buy, simply because it has been my favourite car ever since it was launched
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Thread Information