Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Handling car

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    So the general consensus is that the best handling cars are MR?
    Post #4 gives you the answer.

I personally prefer front engined rear wheel drive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by HOTPROPHET View Post
    woooo, most people seem to lean towards the miata in other forums. Even on top gear, they do absolutely nothing but praise the miata video after video and seem neutral about the mr2. But what really just shut me out of the MR2... aftermarket parts... HOLY SHITE! Parts for that car are rare, and EXPENSIVE! The amount you'd spend tuning the suspension and engine in an MR2, you could build twice the car with a miata.

That's another thing that came to my mind after that research... if you'd spend the extra cash getting an Opel speedster or an elise which are nearly impossible to find, you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more for aftermarket parts as well. Insurance would be much more and from what I've read, the claims that the handling on the expensive Opels and Elises being better than the mr2 and miata are very questionable.
    You could buy a Miata drivetrain + rear suspension to create a Locost, provided you have the know-how.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You're basing your opinion on drifting?

Eh, you should test them all out. You never know which one you really like.
    touge =/= drifting
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Touge means hillpass or valley. This was a grip race not a drift touge.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    You could buy a Miata drivetrain + rear suspension to create a Locost, provided you have the know-how.
    Hey... I had no idea that could be done or that even existed. I saw Locost videos on youtube and to be honest, this is beyond interesting. My fav vehicle when it comes down to control and turning is the ariel atom, but considering it's cost, i can't go for it. Locosts, they're pretty much like a home built Atom or lotus 7, they can be built cheap, light, for drag or for cornering and people who own them are crazy about them.

My only prob with building one of these puppies would be proper welding. I can weld, but wow do i suck.

So, i'll study the building of a locost for now and make that a project in a few years from now. Maybe I'll take a welding course or get help with welding during that period. I can't get it out of my head now that I know about them.

So now, knowing that i can one day build a roadster that's a better handler than anything I can buy, i'll scratch off those cars that are impractical from my list: lotus elise, opel, MR2 and consider a used miata or a used porsche boxster.

I'd normally drop the boxster idea because they're harder to find and cost more for upkeep, but they have much more ponies than a miata and have better fuel economy.

Boxster: Nicer, probably more reliable, much more power, better fuel economy, and it's a Porsche!

miata: most likely a better handler due to less weight, much easier to find, cheaper parts and easier to come by.

hm, decisions.

if it's just a stop gap don't bother with the boxster, the mazda will do fine... just don't get too carried away with it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by HOTPROPHET View Post
    My only prob with building one of these puppies would be proper welding. I can weld, but wow do i suck.
    I'm pretty sure even the most basic 7 kits come with frame welded together.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Hi everyone, been browsing this place over the last few days and thought Id use this thread as an excuse to stop lurking.

I currently drive a UKDM MK1 MX5, and I love it to death. Previous to this, Ive had a Stage 2 (circa 260bhp) Nissan 200SX RS13, and two MK1 Toyota MR2s. Whenever I look to buy a car, handling is always the key thing I look for. We make annual trips to Germanys Nurburgring every year so I need something I know isnt going to put me at a disadvantage to the people I go with (who drive a JDM DC2 IT-R and a 570bhp manual Supra).

I think my MX5 is pretty faultless when it comes to handling, and Id say a lot of that is to do with the FR layout, the incredible chassis (some of you Lotus Elan fans may recognise it), and the lack of power as stock. Its extremely grippy, forgiving, and easy to drive. Admittedly mine is now running fully adjustable coilovers, and while its fantastic on a track, its not much fun on rough UK roads. Again though, as standard it was fantastic.

Just thought Id chip another vote in for the MX5.

Best or fastest

No doubt the MX-5 is a great handling car. Bu I think you are missing some serious contenders:

These are all very celebrated in their respective categories...

BMW M3 E30, 318is, 320is, M3 CS (E46) Any Porsche 997 or 996 (except the GT2), Boxster, Peugeot 205 GTi, 309 GTi, Clio Williams, Clio 182 Trophy, Honda NSX, Integra Type R, Civic Type R (not the new one) various Mitsu EVO's and Impreza's, Lotus Elan, Elise, Exige, Zonda F, Audi R8

But this is such an individual thing to talk about. An e39 523i handles excellent compared to an A6, A Clio 182 much better than a Stilo HGT and so on. I think it is very wrong to talk about the best handling car, regardless of any categorization, as there is not much sense in comparing an FF like Clio to an RR like a 911.

Which car handles better? The fastest 'round a track or the most involving on a curly B-road?

Well, I could talk about this forever...

Just my 5 cents

Quote Originally Posted by mamagin View Post
    No doubt the MX-5 is a great handling car. Bu I think you are missing some serious contenders
    Dont get me wrong, I dont think the MX5 is the best handling car ever, not by a fair way. But for the money, I think you'll struggle to find a car that can compete with it. Afterall, you can pick MX5s up very easily these days for under £1k...the cars youre classing it against, even at their lowest prices are often at least double, if not 22 times the price. Even the cars that are similarly priced from your list, either arent anywhere near as competitive, or you'd struggle to find one that hasnt been ragged to death no matter how much money you have.
    -1991 Mazda MX5 Project - www.TimeAttack.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mamagin View Post
    Which car handles better? The fastest 'round a track or the most involving on a curly B-road?
    I think that that's the key to answer the question. Because the cars that fit one option may not fit the other.

I'll personally go for the latter.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Lotus Exige Cup 240
    If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear.

Ayrton Senna

I drove a Alto Mk.3 with custom Koni FSD's and stabalisation rod from a CRX. It was the best handling vehicle I ever drove in. The comfort was good whilst still maintaining a good smooth(not totally flat) handling. Im thinking of making this rather cheap conversion too.

^ just reminded me, the CRX can be one hell of good handling car

well for what I believe and what ive driven a fiat X19 abarth is a handling beast or hell just the plain fiat X19 absolutely handles like its on rails IMO but thats just my 2cents

Thread Information