Thread: A question to Lancia Delta experts

Question A question to Lancia Delta experts

We all are blessed with superb Lancia Delta S4 Stradale media pictures in Matt's Hi-Res hideout. However, heading in these photos say "Lancia Delta S4 1985-1989". I always thought that necessary 200 street legal units for homologation were made in late 1985 and that was it. And as we all know, S4 rally career lasted till end of 1986. Why on earth would Lancia build homologation version of S4 long after demise of Group B Assuming that blokes in Lancia Media Department are just plain stupid seems just too simple.
    Please, can anyone shed light on this enigma? TIA

Cheers!

People wanted to buy them?
    They wanted to try and get as much money back as possible?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    People wanted to buy them?
    They wanted to try and get as much money back as possible?
    Being one of the most high-tech cars ever, I think Lancia lost huge amount money per every S4 built. After all, who would like to buy such a beast except few gearheads? Lots of complex technology, not too much looks nor whoomp, only a dramatic story of what-should-have-been.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    Being one of the most high-tech cars ever, I think Lancia lost huge amount money per every S4 built. After all, who would like to buy such a beast except few gearheads? Lots of complex technology, not too much looks nor whoomp, only a dramatic story of what-should-have-been.

Cheers!
    NONE of the Group B cars were profitable.

It was sad to see the "clearance sales" in large barns with nearly 200 RS200s parked up new off the productino line. Same with the 6R4s
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    We all are blessed with superb Lancia Delta S4 Stradale media pictures in Matt's Hi-Res hideout. However, heading in these photos say "Lancia Delta S4 1985-1989". I always thought that necessary 200 street legal units for homologation were made in late 1985 and that was it. And as we all know, S4 rally career lasted till end of 1986. Why on earth would Lancia build homologation version of S4 long after demise of Group B Assuming that blokes in Lancia Media Department are just plain stupid seems just too simple.
    Please, can anyone shed light on this enigma? TIA

Cheers!

I think it is not really an enigma, Lancia had to build them all in 1985, (Remember the famous pic of 25 Porsche 917's?) but kept them in the official catalogue until 1989, just to clear stocks. I don't konw how successful they were in doing that, but I assume that their fate was not much better than Ford's or BMC's in trying to sell their Group B Cars.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    ...Lancia had to build them all in 1985 ... but kept them in the official catalogue until 1989, just to clear stocks.
    This should explain that odd heading "Lancia Delta S4 1985-1989"
    What a sad story: conquering world in 1986, forgotten by everyone just a few years later. Actually it can be said about every single Group B car.

Thanks, henk4.

Cheers!

Thread Information