Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you increase Torque?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you increase Torque?

Yo, is torque just a side effect of horse power, or can you mod cars to get more torque.

Do you mean torque from the engine, or torque at the wheels? Torque at the wheels depends on the gearing and size of the tires, etc. Torque in the engine is related to horsepower, so increasing one will usually increase the other, but not always.

This has been asked many times search the forums for it before yoou make a new thread.
    Last edited by Bob; 07-29-2005 at 10:10 AM.

power = torque * engine speed

Torque is the 'turning force' the engine makes, and is directly interlinked with power by the above formula.

Tyre size makes no difference to the torque at the wheels btw

Quote Originally Posted by BjD
    power = torque * engine speed

Tyre size makes no difference to the torque at the wheels btw

Yeah that was pretty bad on my part I'm sorry it was early and I was up until 5 last night on cruise boat so I'm pretty out of it... my bad.

anyways, torque is the force that is applied at a certain distance (radius) of rotation, so its a much greater factor in acceleration than horsepower, but once you pass a certain limit, which is different for every car/tire setup/driving conditions, the amount of force at the wheels is more than the maximum force of friction with the road, and any more torque is useless.

so torque is only for acceleration got it. What increases top speed? Rpm and hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Orefus
    so torque is only for acceleration got it. What increases top speed? Rpm and hp?
    or lots and lots of gears
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

not exactly true

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yeah that was pretty bad on my part I'm sorry it was early and I was up until 5 last night on cruise boat so I'm pretty out of it... my bad.

anyways, torque is the force that is applied at a certain distance (radius) of rotation, so its a much greater factor in acceleration than horsepower, but once you pass a certain limit, which is different for every car/tire setup/driving conditions, the amount of force at the wheels is more than the maximum force of friction with the road, and any more torque is useless.
    It all depends on how you look at it. Tire size (overall radius) does make a difference in the potential force at the ground (which is really what you're interested in anyway). If you consider this, then it also makes a difference on the effective "resistive torque" from the ground. This is important when considering traction limited situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Orefus
    Yo, is torque just a side effect of horse power, or can you mod cars to get more torque.
    Torque isn't a side effect of horse power. If anything I guess you could say the opposite. Horse power is a function of torque.

Torque is the actual force the engine produces, a twisting force. In many respects it's actually a far more important figure in terms of engine performance than horsepower. Check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm for an explanation of how you get horsepower from torque.

There are MANY ways in which you can modify an engine to get more torque, from modifying the ECU/fuel-mapping to modifying the intake and exhaust sytems.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Torque isn't a side effect of horse power. If anything I guess you could say the opposite. Horse power is a function of torque.

Torque is the actual force the engine produces, a twisting force. In many respects it's actually a far more important figure in terms of engine performance than horsepower. Check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm for an explanation of how you get horsepower from torque.
    I disagree. Technically the change in pressure and volume within the piston cylinder is doing work. This work takes place over some time interval and therefore can be equated to a power. The pressure exerts a force on to the piston which generates a torque on the crankshaft.

So really an engine starts with power and creates torque and rpm.

Also, I don’t see how torque alone is better than power, in terms of performance figures?
    Last edited by Alastor; 07-30-2005 at 08:31 AM.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

wait wait. so after a certain point a car dosent need torque? only hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I disagree. Technically the change in pressure and volume within the piston cylinder is doing work. This work takes place over some time interval and therefore can be equated to a power. The pressure exerts a force on to the piston which generates a torque on the crankshaft.

So really an engine starts with power and creates torque and rpm.

Also, I don’t see how torque alone is better than power, in terms of performance figures?
    A dyno only measures torque. A simple calculation X RPM gives you the power figure which is displayed.

You have pressure in a cylinder but the work is transfered to the crank via a connecting rod. This delivers torque or turning force to the crank. The higher the Revs the more work is done per minute so we call this power. A bigger throw on the crank the bigger the torque lever. A bigger bore provides more pressure on the crank which increases torque also.

But:

A good breathing engine provides a better torque at higher RPM which gives you more power because the power calculation is torque X RPM. To put it a different way: Greater RPM with good torque gives higher power.

The higher the torque at lower RPMs equates to higher efficiency. This is because less fuel is burnt (Lower RPM) to produce the pulling power.

Power and torque go hand in hand. Small engines need high revs to produce good power because of the lower torque, and larger engines have higher torque at lower RPMs so don't need to Rev as high. Different engines for different applications. One thing to note though: The higher the Revs the more frictional losses.

This is why turbos are so good, More pressure on the piston at lower revs gives better torque and power at lower RPMs. Let's say that you are pushing more in the cylinder with a turbo and then compare it with a normally aspirated engine with higher RPMs. It should be about the same in effect, but it has less frictional losses because the RPMs are less.
    Last edited by revetec; 03-08-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revetec View Post
    A dyno only measures torque. A simple calculation X RPM gives you the power figure which is displayed.

You have pressure in a cylinder but the work is transfered to the crank via a connecting rod. This delivers torque or turning force to the crank. The higher the Revs the more work is done per minute so we call this power. A bigger throw on the crank the bigger the torque lever. A bigger bore provides more pressure on the crank which increases torque also.

But:

A good breathing engine provides a better torque at higher RPM which gives you more power because the power calculation is torque X RPM. To put it a different way: Greater RPM with good torque gives higher power.

The higher the torque at lower RPMs equates to higher efficiency. This is because less fuel is burnt (Lower RPM) to produce the pulling power.

Power and torque go hand in hand. Small engines need high revs to produce good power because of the lower torque, and larger engines have higher torque at lower RPMs so don't need to Rev as high. Different engines for different applications. One thing to note though: The higher the Revs the more frictional losses.

This is why turbos are so good, More pressure on the piston at lower revs gives better torque and power at lower RPMs. Let's say that you are pushing more in the cylinder with a turbo and then compare it with a normally aspirated engine with higher RPMs. It should be about the same in effect, but it has less frictional losses because the RPMs are less.
    My point was just that the pressure acting on the piston alone was not enough to do work, the piston must also move.

So even if you have a given pressure acting on the piston and the resulting torque around the crankshaft, the engine is not doing any work unless the piston is moving.

Obviously, power is the measure of both pressure (pressure as a function of piston area) and piston motion (where motion is a rate of change).

But this thread is so old, I am not sure if my original comment was even that relevant.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

lol

therefor

torque = power / engine speed

Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Increasing the length of the stroke will increase torque or is it increasing the bore will increase torque?
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 07-29-2005 at 12:17 PM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

toruqe at the wheels. So bore increases torque?

Thread Information