3 2.70%
  • Rear

62 55.86%
  • All

46 41.44%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FWD vs. RWD. vs. AWD

Best for performance?

Front wheel drive is the best solution when you have a small car, or want to maximise cabin space.

It is also quite a good idea since the defining handling characteristic is understeer, so when everyday people encounter a problem at a corner, they can just wind on more lock, which is easier and more intuitive than trying to wind on the correct ammount of opposite lock - which takes practice. Fine if you practice, but backwards into a tree for most people.

All wheel drive offers the best possible opportunity for traction, but in terms of ultimate performance it is too heavy.

Rear wheel drive is technically the best solution, because it is the most logical, and simplest set up.

I suppose that awd is better in most situations though, despite its technical inadequacies, as you can go faster in less than perfect conditions.
    Thanks for all the fish

actually the components on an awd car doesnt increase weight by much, 2 extra difs and 2 extra drive axles dont add much weight

and since awd technically allows you to double the torque/power and maintain the same slip angle the awd setup is the optimum solution

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    actually the components on an awd car doesnt increase weight by much, 2 extra difs and 2 extra drive axles dont add much weight
    It increases UNSPRUNG weight which is MUCH WORSE
    and since awd technically allows you to double the torque/power and maintain the same slip angle the awd setup is the optimum solution
    But there are a lot more losses in the drivetrain so if nothing else changes it's often a worse choice - especially when launching, hence why mid/rear engine RWD beats comaprable weight/pwer AWD every time [ assuming reasonabel grip ]
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I would go for AWD. Remember when Audi started racing the Quattros in rally and road races? No one could keep up with them As far as hanging the tail out in a corner, unless your at a race track, you're not gonna be doing it often without getting in trouble with the police
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I would go for AWD. Remember when Audi started racing the Quattros in rally and road races? No one could keep up with them As far as hanging the tail out in a corner, unless your at a race track, you're not gonna be doing it often without getting in trouble with the police
    They had a HUGE advanatage beign the first to venture with fast 4WD systems.
    Once the others cottoned on they became a poor second.
    Outised of the factory teams, Audi's were nto that successful, in part because of the HUGE invetment necessary to repair and run them :9

BTW the Integrale was the most successful rally car with a total of 46 international event wins.. The Audi had 23 !! Slightly skewed by the success of the Integrale in Group A where Audi were not strong at all.

On track, the Audi were winning for a while until a formula could be developed that balanced the 4WD and 2WD cars, similar to the way a rotary and torbo "equivalnce" had to be developed !! That's the downside if bring a revolution t a sport
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It increases UNSPRUNG weight which is MUCH WORSE

But there are a lot more losses in the drivetrain so if nothing else changes it's often a worse choice - especially when launching, hence why mid/rear engine RWD beats comaprable weight/pwer AWD every time [ assuming reasonabel grip ]
    damn i forgot about unsprung weight

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    mid/rear engine RWD beats comaprable weight/pwer AWD every time [ assuming reasonabel grip ]
    Yes but what if it was not mid/rear-engined?

Not that I disagree with that statement (I voted RWD too )

I'm with RWD, great for towing for trucks, (4wd trucks tow ~1000 pounds less than RWD), RWD is funner to drive in snow gives a little bit of a challenge .
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

i vote for awd
    ________
    Vapor Info
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.

I believe AWD is the best solution, on rally cars and Track cars, remember the BTCC AUDIs? noone could get to them, just like the Rally cars when they appeared.

But my personal taste goes for rear wheel drive, being the engine in the front, mid or rear
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    I think that all in all, audi real wheel drive system is very good. I works really well on my dads TT and he says it handles better than his BMW 3 series.
    Did you meant to say "rear" when you said "REAL wheel drive" and if so.. insn't aren't AUDI only front or AWD driven?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    I think that all in all, audi real wheel drive system is very good. I works really well on my dads TT and he says it handles better than his BMW 3 series.
    That is given Quattro has been around for 25 years and it is getting better and better, the new Quattro system will have 60/40
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Adaptable AWD could be the solution. A special system that could switch entirely to RWD, FWD, or AWD depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR
    Adaptable AWD could be the solution. A special system that could switch entirely to RWD, FWD, or AWD depending on the situation.
    it wouldnt change the fact there are awd components on the car, the weight doesnt automatically disappear, by changing it to fwd or rwd u essentially take away all the advantages of the system while leaving the faults

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    That is given Quattro has been around for 25 years and it is getting better and better, the new Quattro system will have 60/40
    dude quit talkin bout that, it doesnt present any advantage over the conventional system, atleast not by an amount which would affect performance, under acceleration on the 50/50 split some torque will still be sent to the rear if front is low on grip effectively giving it 50/50, and in corner entrance where front end grip is high less torque will be sent to the rear for stability, unless the new system changes the MAX amount of torque bias or rate of torque bias it wont affect the handling, unless the center dif is locked at 40/60 which is stupid

Thread Information