Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ford GTHO?

New Ford GTHO?

Are Ford making a new GTHO or not? Or are they making something to match the HRT 427?

Tell me more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I luv cheesecake TG

ford dont need a competitor for the hrt427, they cancelled it remember? theres only rumours going around, like theyre gunna take advantage of the 630nm torque limit on the zf 6 speed auto theyre using for BA2.

How much truth in the rumours ford will be building a supercharged gtho with upwards of 350 kilowats.....i read it in a wheels or street machine mag i think.....not that theyre always a reliable source.They also said it wont be on the cards for another 2 years though.

well lets look at some facts:

the GT at 290kw was ahead of the VY1 clubsport at 260kw but has a terrible launch, which has practically put the VY2 clubby ahead of it with its 285kw.

with the DJR HP320, FPV no longer make the most powerful falcon and they wouldnt be making the quickest anymore either (not to mention the 314kw PWR300)

with the Gen4 and FPV 280kw turbo 6 model coming out, FPV are going to need more power and more speed from what theyre offering out of a six and what the competition are offering.

Prodrive are apparently working on getting as much power out of the 4 valve 5.4L, whilst keeping it revving to 6000rpm and naturally aspirated. although this will never match the 372kw supercharged 5.4L, it could fill in a gap between 290kw and 372kw, so im saying prodrives work could benefit the GT whilst ford look at supercharging for the HO program

350kw sounds like a decent figure, but it still may not be enough. with the 6.2L gen 4 coming with rumours of 372kw naturally aspirated, ford will need at least that much in any sort of HO. the 5.4L capacity has gotten 460kw in the mercedes-mclaren SLR, but that is a 3 valve, twin spark engine so theres bound to be differences between a 4 valve, single spark engine.

i dont see FPV switching to an alluminium block for reliability and stress issues, so i dont think they'll use the GT40 engine which means another locally developed V8 that they will definately brag about
    I am the Stig

when you start talking upwards of 450 kwatts, i can feel another supercar scare coming on, same as what killed the phase 4 and the 340 charger.

450kw in a supercar is nice, but in a family sedan its a worry. if ford locally developed a whole new car, or as new a one as they could, that resembled the falcon but wasnt designed as a taxi pack then they could quite easily i'd say package a 450kw GTHO, but they wont.

not only are they a little low on funds after territory and BA, but they wouldnt come up with a new platform just for one model, its nowhere near cost effective for someone like ford australia to do.

but back to your first comment, i think theres definately truth in the rumours of an HO program working inside FPV, and it more than likely will be supercharged between 350kw and 400kw

just a lil add-on to the supercharging capabilities of the 5.4L, they got 372kw pretty easily from an eaton roots type blower, and people like CAPA in south australia with intercooled vortech superchargers have now cracked 500kw at the fly with no internal tuning of the engine and only about 11psi boost. just because CAPA didnt change the internals, doesnt mean its not needed of course, im sure it wouldnt take long for an XR8 with the 11psi kit fitted to crack a conrod, blow a head gasket etc
    I am the Stig

Well yes people are quoting big figures for the turbo 6 with aftermarket modifications, but to quote larry perkins after tom walkinshaw allegedly broke the hrt "australian" commodore entry by revving it to hard hard down condrod, "anything will break if you abuse it for long enough"

oh i should of mentioned that was at bathurst in 88.

well the biggest mistake you can probably make by supercharging or upgrading the turbo on an engine is to leave it at that. unfortunatley strengthening the engine could const about as much as the supercharger kit, for example, CAPA offer a 560kw kit for the LS-1 which is basically stroking the engine to 383cu. in. and adding a 12psi supercharger and intercooler which costs about $16K. they say though that you have to pay an extra $12K for a kit that basically goes through the engine replacing all the weak parts with ones that can stand 12 more psi over the 14psi atmospheric pressure, going through the engine.
    I am the Stig

you would think all the people that heard the rumours of a V10 GTHO would be jumping at the possibility of ford fitting the new 6.4L V10 into the falcons engine bay
    I am the Stig

Perth, Australia Voted Most Livable City In the World City 4 times in three years and Runner up 3 times
    A GTS will have a 6.2 liter engine at no more than 350kw for shore, A GT-HO will have 500bhp for shore, then HSV will wit back a 410kw FRR racing/Road version sounds good to, ford could putch 355kw out of the engine without supercharging.

Well theres been alot of conjecture about what the LS7 will eventually pump out, the engine most likely to go into the VE GTS. The most likely is 375kw/6.2L but some people are dead certain it'll be 7l/400kw.

I dont think FPV are ready to do a GTHO yet, maybe with the all new model they'll have the balls to do it. public perception will be everything as far as its success goes though
    I am the Stig

That's why GTS is off the line up for now they are waiting for the 6.2lt they know they need more power to justify the price, Even if it has some good gear on it

And 6.2lt could be the engine for all hsv in VE and maybe a 6.2lt for GTS with 30kw more but 7lt i don't think we are ready for a donk that big here yet it's moving to fast even if it would be great
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 10-08-2004 at 01:40 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

There was that suggestion that when Holden got the 6L engine, HSV would get the 6.2......but right now it seems HSV'll grab the 6L whilst Holden keeps the 5.7
    I am the Stig

I like that HSV having a bigger engine over Holden that gives it more cred and people more reason to buy something more high performence.
    Like a Guy that owns a VZ Monaro could turn to a guy that own a Club R8 in VYI and have a big smile on his face same engine same power, Just the monaro has twin pipes that look good out the rear, Now HSV owners have something over holdens drivers which is the way it should be.
    So Holden with 6.0lt and HSV with 6.2lt would be right It also keeps the power up over holden

Now buying a Clubsport with GEN4 at $60,000 is a great buy. And it gives you thoughts when you buy a VZ SS $51,000 it's only $9,000 more for the Clubbie
    Read up on the GEN4 it's got great low down power just off idel, And it holds it's torque very well through the rev range, This engine is probley faster then the C4B
    HSV have claimed 5.1sec that's better the GTS
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information