Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alonso....A worthy champion?

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    "Winning from pole? Forget it. Fernando Alonso would rather snatch 'lucky' victory on the last lap. "All the other wins I had this year," said the title leading Spaniard, referring to Malaysia, Bahrain and Imola, "I led from start to finish."

23-year-old Alonso, although hunting an ailing Kimi Raikkonen down, led only when it mattered -- on the last lap, after the McLaren crashed. He grinned: "For me, this is a much better feeling."

Alonso is not worthy to be in F1 with that attitude.

Someone who would rather see his competitors crash out rather than race to victory should not enjoy any sort of support IMHO.
    Maybe he means he would rather have an actual race than 70 boring laps in the front?

He's not the best driver in the field but he is the most consistent, as was his car. He deserved it.

Good luck to Alonso, but if Mercedes get their reliabilty issues sorted, they'll go 1-2 next season.

I think anyone who is as calculated about his racing as Alonso deserves a championship.

If he leads where it counts, then he might be putting in the least amount of effort, but at the same time he is taking advantage of others mistakes, and making judgement calls that put him in front.

It's not exciting racing, And i'm sure a lot of real race fans want a gun-ho championship leader who fights to the last chequered flag, but seriously, In F1 today, those people are few and far between.

Welcome to the Dull New world of F1.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Maybe he means he would rather have an actual race than 70 boring laps in the front?
    Well, I'm just posting what he said.

However, saying that he could also mean "I like ducks"...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    It's not exciting racing, And i'm sure a lot of real race fans want a gun-ho championship leader who fights to the last chequered flag, but seriously, In F1 today, those people are few and far between.
    Kimi fits that description pretty well, and I think he's a faster driver than Alonso. So putting his reliability issues aside, I think Kimi deserved to take the championship this year. However, I still think Alonso has considerable skill and isn't far behind him. Kimi for 2006!

When Mclaren gets the reliabilty issue right, we might see different streaks in all racing drivers who can attack the title.

It just so happens that despite Kimi being a good driver, he had a bad car.

Ok car and Ok driver wins championship, it's not very interesting isn't it?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

he's 24 why are you discussing about that , he's the first , he's the champion , he's the best this year , that's all

I think whatever Alonso may have said is a bit irrelevant, mainly because I really don't think Kimi would set a much better example... They're both young, and have their flaws outside of the track aswell. Kimi for one is critizised in Finland and has lost the respect from many former supporters (read: women) because of his personal affairs, drinking, acting like a jerk, being drunk, pulling down his pants in stripclubs, more drinking, inviting girls to his & his wifes house(who is pretty hot by the way) etc...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information