Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is this ? A small window on the bonnet of a Ferrari 250 GT SWB comp/61

why is this ? A small window on the bonnet of a Ferrari 250 GT SWB comp/61

When i was going through the fabulous slideshow of the ferrari auction, i noticed something.A ssmall window on the bonnet of a ferrari 250 GT SWB Comp/61. I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for this, so i hope someone else can...i find this pretty strange...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a bug deflector to keep the windshield 'clean'.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

sure ?

Not to divert the air to stop wiper-lift ??

I've never noticed it before
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I know what it is........

Both.
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    sure ?

Not to divert the air to stop wiper-lift ??

I've never noticed it before
    Yeah, I think you're right, because the "window" is aligned nicely with the wiper. MAN, you're smart.

i'd have had no clue without you guys... Thanks !

Edit: but when it is a wiper protector, why didnt they put it almost against the wiper ?

That's why it might be bug-deflector ?
    remember so far we've not got a definitive answer and won't till Wouter comes back
    By deflecting upwards it creates a 'curtain' of air which will rejoin the body laminar flow above the screen. Closer to the screen and the 'curtain' would maybe only join half way up the screen.
    The 'curtain' could be to keep that airflow from lifting the wipers or to blow the bugs by
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

my vote goes to the bug deflector, it was a common thing on spiders, where the poor drivers directly faced these creepy creatures. It may have had the benefit to improve the adhaesion of the wiper, but as usual Ferrari had the bug in his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    That's why it might be bug-deflector ?
    remember so far we've not got a definitive answer and won't till Wouter comes back
    By deflecting upwards it creates a 'curtain' of air which will rejoin the body laminar flow above the screen. Closer to the screen and the 'curtain' would maybe only join half way up the screen.
    The 'curtain' could be to keep that airflow from lifting the wipers or to blow the bugs by
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think it's mainly a deflector to keep the (driver's side) windshield as clean as possible. Since it also creates drag it's only "half" and not a full version that runs all the way across the hood.

Just my thinking...
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

But if it is a bug deflector, why isnt it on the drivers side but in the middle ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    But if it is a bug deflector, why isnt it on the drivers side but in the middle ?
    It runs from the centre air intake to the extrme left side of the bonnet, so it is as much as possible on the driver's side.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    It runs from the centre air intake to the extrme left side of the bonnet, so it is as much as possible on the driver's side.
    i went through the slideshow again, and i noticed it too.I should have paid more attention...
    Anyway: why isnt there one on the California spider ?The cars are made in about the same era .....

2nd pic is california spider
    Attached Images Attached Images

i went through the slideshow again, and i noticed it too.I should have paid more attention...
    Anyway: why isnt there one on the California spider ?The cars are made in about the same era .....

2nd pic is california spider
    The fact that it is fitted on a Works Ferrari does not mean that it actually worked.

When i was going through the fabulous slideshow of the ferrari auction, i noticed something.A ssmall window on the bonnet of a ferrari 250 GT SWB Comp/61. I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for this, so i hope someone else can...i find this pretty strange...

so you can tell the cop that you did not see the red light....
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The fact that it is fitted on a Works Ferrari does not mean that it actually worked.
    And even if it's on one Works Ferrari doesn't mean that feature is going to be on all Work's Ferraris too
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Thread Information