Thread: New GTI Top Gear Car of the Year

New GTI Top Gear Car of the Year

VWoA should really think about getting this car to America before Q3 2005. Their sales are terrible right now, and this could be their saving grace. But by next fall, will it be too late?

Quote Originally Posted by VWVortex.com
    Volkswagen’s new Golf GTI has been crowned Car of the Year 2005 by BBC Top Gear. At a prestigious ceremony held at The Groucho Club in London last night, Jeremy Clarkson, who both hosts the popular television show and writes for the top-selling magazine, presented the award to Dr Bernd Pischetsrieder, Chairman of the Board of Management, Volkswagen AG.

The awards represent the views of both the team on BBC 2’s Top Gear, the UK’s most watched motoring programme, and expert road testers at BBC Top Gear magazine, the country’s most popular motoring monthly.

The new GTI fought off tough competition to come out on top as Car of the Year. Clarkson, writing in the awards issue of Top Gear, was particularly impressed with the new turbocharged FSI powerplant: ‘The 2.0-litre engine is probably the strongest link of what’s a fairly unburstable chain. There’s no lag at all and even if you can’t be bothered to change gear, there’s always a bagful of torque on hand.’ He was also highly complimentary about the handling, steering, practicality and distinctive, yet subtle, styling.

‘The simple fact of the matter then is that no matter how you cut it, the Golf is either brilliant or excellent in every single area. It’s fast, it handles well, it’s easy to park, easy to run, socially acceptable anywhere, comfortable and well made to boot,’ Clarkson continued. Small wonder, then, that the new GTI took the winner’s place on the podium.

The new Golf GTI has received a rapturous reception from motoring experts in the run up to its UK launch in January, with glowing reviews and numerous group test victories. With evocative styling cues, sharp handling and brisk, aurally pleasing performance, the new generation is a deliberate hark back to the qualities that made the Mk I such a hit following its launch in 1976.

In summing up the reasons why the GTI took the coveted award, Clarkson wrote: ‘This new Golf is an absolute sensation.’

The 2.0-litre FSI 200 PS engine uses homogenous direct injection and turbocharging to achieve highly flexible power delivery – peak torque of 207 lbs ft is produced between 1,800 and 5,100 rpm. Yet despite this tractable quality, the new GTI is still exciting to take to the red line, where it produces lively performance.

Prices for the GTI start at £19,995 (RRP on the road), for the three-door with manual gearbox, rising to £21,820 for the five-door version with Volkswagen’s revolutionary DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) transmission. Full specification details and on-line ordering are available at www.newgolfgti.co.uk. A number of customers have already placed orders for their cars and will be taking delivery very soon. Retailers are also able to take orders and will have demonstration vehicles ready to try shortly.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I agree. What r they thinking or not?

Ahh good to know the new GTI kicks ass . Is there going to be a diesel GTI like the old one?

VW.co.uk says there will be a diesel in 2005.

I'm gonna test drive the GTi in a couple of days. My local VW dealer is expecting to get their demonstrator this week. In light of the fantastic reviews this car has received, it'll be rude not to try one. Hell, I might even buy one!

DC

I'm going to wait a year or two for VW to work out all the kinks, and if money permits, I might be driving a 2.0T, black on black.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I wouldn't think this car would help U.S.VW sales very much because there are so many good cars in it's price range and class already here.

VW's problem is they tried to go upscale and people here just don't consider it an upscale company.

Still getting fatter.

Fat German.

Nah, Jim the Golf is waaaaay better than the last one, i really like this one
    Last edited by Mustang; 12-14-2004 at 01:18 PM.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

the new GTi is beautifull. It looks better than the normal Golf. and if somebody is thinking that the GTi is fat car he can write me a Mail.

oh and it is also 5th gears car of the year too
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I liked the looks of the old one better, this looks like a Civic Si to me (not a compliment considering that's one of my least favorite looking cars on the road). But I suppose it'd be neat to have the 2.0 in the last gen GTi, it sounds like a big improvement over the 1.8t. And the 1.8t was already a pretty sweet engine considerig it's so small.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

This new gold GTi is quite a car. It produces quite a nice sound and is one of the best sounding 4 cylinders I have heard just behind the Subaru Impreza and Bentley 4.5 litre blower.

Thread Information