Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 997.2 turbo- Argue here!!!

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.

Porsche 997.2 turbo- Argue here!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed the bombardment of user comments that the 911 turbo has had arguing whether or not somebody's put the engine in the wrong place. I thought that arguments were for forums, not short comments. Please could those of you with an opinion start arguing here.

From my own POV, I like the Porsche, more traction, exciting in the wet, and most of all, although it's different, Porsche has managed to get it to work better than most other cars out there. It seems to work well in GT racing too.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Very well then: While a rear engine does have some small disadvantages from purely a performance stand point, it's a fantastic place from a packaging stand point: The 911 has a low hood which means greater visibility and it has frontal storage space, the cabin is spacious for two adults and located almost directly in the middle of the wheelbase and there is a large storage/small seating area behind the driver, and all of this fits into a fairly small and lightweight car. . . . A small and lightweight car that is usable everyday and ferocious on the track. I love the Nissan GT-R and I'd buy one if I could, but placing the engine behind the rear axel is still an absolutely brilliant idea.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

The 911 seems to be THE sports car that's associated with all-out performance and every day drivability all in one. Whenever another manufacturer says they want to make a sports car more of a daily driver, they always quote the 911 as the main competition, and yet they're extremely potent performers and successful racers as well. I don't think it would be my first choice as a sports car if price were no object, since I NEED a Ferrari , but I have a lot of respect for these cars, always have.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

I'd say the Corvette is also recognized as a leader in performance and everyday driveablity. It may as well be conisdered the car for this particular set of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I'd say the Corvette is also recognized as a leader in performance and everyday driveablity. It may as well be conisdered the car for this particular set of circumstances.
    Good point, and there are past pundits that stated that ITS engine is also in the wrong place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yea, that hatchback has a surprising amount of room in the back. You can easily pack your things and get away for the weekend. On top of that, they are quick as hell and you can pick them up for the price of a new accord when they are a couple years old. I might have trouble deciding between that and a mustang cobra though.

While we're at it, why not throw the M3 in the mix? I know, not a true sports car, but technically the Mustang's not either, and since the M3 has a long history of being raced too, I think it's definitely in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    While we're at it, why not throw the M3 in the mix? I know, not a true sports car, but technically the Mustang's not either, and since the M3 has a long history of being raced too, I think it's definitely in the ballpark.
    As long as were counting the E30 and not the E92 then we're good.

In other news, the E92 did a one-two at ALMS this week due to the controversial saftey car rules.

Sure every generation of 911 has to engineer its way out of a hole dug 50 years ago, but like Nic said it offers many advantages in the real world. It also is responsible for a lot of the car's charm and the very distinctive and good look of the 911.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Sure every generation of 911 has to engineer its way out of a hole dug 50 years ago, but like Nic said it offers many advantages in the real world. It also is responsible for a lot of the car's charm and the very distinctive and good look of the 911.
    One could say that of almost any car originating 50 years ago; the REAL trick is lasting 50 years and still being at or near the TOP for that long

Anyone seen the 2010 Jaguar 'E-type'?????

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    One could say that of almost any car originating 50 years ago; the REAL trick is lasting 50 years and still being at or near the TOP for that long

Anyone seen the 2010 Jaguar 'E-type'?????
    Nope, but they've rolled out a few rumours since.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Nope, but they've rolled out a few rumours since.
    Yeah, I just heard another one recently, something about a new E-Type or a successor to the E-Type or something...I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually, the Corvette can certainly compete with the 911 in terms of staying power as well as performance and drivability. They've also been around and at the top for over 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    As long as were counting the E30 and not the E92 then we're good.

In other news, the E92 did a one-two at ALMS this week due to the controversial saftey car rules.
    Yeah, E30 for sure...though the E36 and E46 were good too...

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    Yeah, I just heard another one recently, something about a new E-Type or a successor to the E-Type or something...I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually, the Corvette can certainly compete with the 911 in terms of staying power as well as performance and drivability. They've also been around and at the top for over 50 years.
    What would happen to the XK then? Isn't it equivalent to an E-Type?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What would happen to the XK then? Isn't it equivalent to an E-Type?
    That's what I thought too. I'll see if I can find where I heard it.

Thread Information