Thread: Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS (2008)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS (2008)

Bought it at Valentine's Day - Picked it up at the dealership yesterday!

Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twin Spark - 'Business Pro' Edition (5 door)
    150 HP - 1.245 Kg
    Black metallic with brown leather interior. Road registered in July 2008.

Currently 46.500 km on the clock, from first owner and always dealer serviced with full history. Cambelt replaced in May last year. Passed 'her' first MOT, which is now valid up to 2014. Also I have 6 months dealer garantee (hopefully not needed, but it is an Alfa ).

Equipped with a lot of options, some usefull, some less. The only things which are missing are colourcodes mirrors. No-one will notice though, as the car is already black. The standard speaker system is a bit of a let down. Not that I can or will complain, this car is great! I removed the emblems on the back (147 and 2.0 T.Spark) plus the dealer plates for a clean distinctive look.

Currently fitted with Continental winter tires (205 mm wide). It is not that I ordered winter tires, but they were already on the car. I like the 16 inch multi-spoke wheels, although they are a nightmare to clean. In the future, I would like to go for 17 inch as a maximum. I tend to go for multi-spoke design again though (the wheels which are also on the GT). Maybe the exhaust can use an upgrade optically. For the rest this car does not need anything else, the design is great in my humble opinion. I have seen some ugly spoilers in the brochure at the dealership, which would be an absolute disgrace on this type of car.

Unfortunately, the car is optically not 100%. But I am quite a perfectionist to say the least! Most probably I will be the only one to notice. There are some small scratches and places where the paint has been damaged during the first 3,5 years of ownership. The other car (Twingo), which we bought new, is almost the same age, but the exterior has less imperfections. Ah well, when the sun is up again in March or April I will give the Alfa the TLC it deserves with the polishing machine. Also I will clean and treat the leather. I can make it look even better as it does today, after delivery from dealership!

As described earlier in detail, this car is no GTA but delivers more then adequate power (especially when you are used to 100 hp less). This afternoon we made a 100 km trip on the freeway and back to home. The sound of the 4-cylinder is very nice when the rev's go up. The subtle push in the back when overtaking is quite addictive! Fuel consumption is something I have taken in consideration extensively before buying the car - at the moment we are suffering from ridiculous gas prizes. Let's see how it goes. 10 Litre on 100 km would be do-able for daily use to work though - the above mentioned trips are an exception.

The engine is smooth and the suspension is superb. The handling in corners or when pushing the rev's in straight is very stable and gives a lot of trust. There is a solid feel in the steering wheel and the ride feels almost sporty, without being uncomfortable. In the corners, it feels like a lighter car. However, when braking you definitely feel the difference of +350 kg when you are used to a smaller car!

The switch from a 1999 Ford Ka to this can not be described in words. I feel absolutely spoiled. For me, it feels like a dream came true. I know this sounds silly for people at the other side of the ocean, where driving a V6 or V8 is common without spending ridiculous amounts of money. That does not matter though. I can not comment yet if I made a 'wise' decision on buying an Italian car, which is not very fuel economic and precious to maintain. But at least I can say I owned an Alfa and followed my heart.

The only issue so far is that my wife drove the Alfa as well... She likes cars, but normally doesn't care about them too much. Well, this car turned a big smile on her face. I thought she would be happy with the Twingo now, which is officially 'her' car, but there is a chance that I must hide the keys from the Alfa from time to time ...

I will update this thread from time to time with my experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-18-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Thread Information