Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolled a Cruiser

more mods is always good... im still trying to decide what to do, its early early days yet. i have to wait for the fine to come in and the quote for the cruiser.... after thats all sorted (and i get my tax return ) i can start planning what im doing. it all depends, i have various stages i could do, non turbo V8 swap, twin turbo 6 swap and twin turbo 8 swap at 6, 9 and 12 thousand respectively...
    The Datto will rage again...

Powertec or RST V8
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Third Party (property) is the optional private insurance which covers at-fault vehicles for any property damage they cause, from other cars to buildings etc. Depending on your policy it can sometimes also offer limited cover for repairs to your own vehicle (eg if you were not at fault and the at-fault party has no insurance). Its coloquially known as Bomb Insurance, as being the cheapest it usually selected for motorists who drive cheap bombs which aren't worthy of full cover. Comprehensive covers your vehicle (and anything else damaged) even if you are at fault

Now I understand. it's much different from the rules here. Here you insurance has to, at least, pay for all the damages (material or physical) done to those you hit. The only variation on price here is wether you want the insurance to cover self-damage to you and your car or not (when you are at fault).
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    For outsiders our term 'third party' can be a bit confusing because there's two types of insurances here which are generically called third party. Third Party (person) is compulsary along with annual vehicle Registration (aka road tax) and it basically covers medical costs for personal injury to anyone other than the at-fault driver himself. Those third parties seriously injured (eg rendered paraplegic) can later seek often-large compensation payouts from the insurance pool for their ongoing life expenses, and loss of potential

Third Party (property) is the optional private insurance which covers at-fault vehicles for any property damage they cause, from other cars to buildings etc. Depending on your policy it can sometimes also offer limited cover for repairs to your own vehicle (eg if you were not at fault and the at-fault party has no insurance). Its coloquially known as Bomb Insurance, as being the cheapest it usually selected for motorists who drive cheap bombs which aren't worthy of full cover. Comprehensive covers your vehicle (and anything else damaged) even if you are at fault
    So what would happen if your hypothetical Ferrari was written off by someone with no property insurence or means of paying your damages, are you just left to pay for something that wasn't your fault?

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Now I understand. it's much different from the rules here. Here you insurance has to, at least, pay for all the damages (material or physical) done to those you hit. The only variation on price here is wether you want the insurance to cover self-damage to you and your car or not (when you are at fault).
    Here we can obtain a form temporary insurance coverage called a Cover Note and I guess you can get the equivalent over there in Portugal. Cover Notes are offered by private insurers and the idea is you apply for it over the phone, with few details required (eg car number plate and driver's license #) and it usually lasts for 14 days. There's no cash required to be handed over and it gives you instant 'free' insurance cover (albeit temporary) as a 'goodwill' offering/inducement from insurers for your future business. For example it's used when you've just bought a car but haven't yet managed to call in person to an insurance office to fill in the details and fork over the premium before you drive it home

I mention the above because of this honestly true & accurate story, for your amusement:
    About thirty years ago a then-young mate of mine was driving home drunk from the pub at midnight, copmpletely blotto after celebrating the recent purchase of his first car, a well-used and very cheap jap sedan. While zooming maniacally down a tight residential street in a well-to-do suburb at about 70mph he was confronted by a sharp right-angle corner. Greg claimed he managed to slow it down to 50mph or so before he 'went in hard' .. right into a double-brick house

'Hard' being the operative word, as well as 'into' as he smashed right through into the basement under this house, with the terrific impact shifting and literally twisting the house majorly on its foundations! His car was totally destroyed and the house was literally almost a write-off too, having incurred around $80,000 damage (VERY big money in those days) to a structure then worth $100,000. In today's terms you could multiply those costs by a factor of three

By some miracle no-one in the house was injured, while Greg sustained only a broken arm & ribs etc. But his embedded car had itself now become part of the house's foundations .. and was effectively holding up the house!

The event got quite a bit of press coverage at the time, in the newspaper and on TV news. He was trapped in the car and the rescue teams had to carefully cut the vehicle into seven pieces to extricate Greg and retrieve the car from the crash site, along with constant fears that the house would collapse. This process took over 6 hours, then off to hospital in an ambulance

Sounds bad eh? A crushing disaster for a young bloke? Well no it wasn't because Greg was a lucky bastard, and for three very good reasons

(a) By the time they'd cut him out and got him to hospital he had sobered up and was under the legal alcohol limit

(b) His car had an insurance 'book value' of $2500, although he'd bought a ratty example for $700

(c) Most importantly .. yes he had previously phoned in for a Cover Note!

His insurers had to fork out the massive $80 grand payout for repairs to the house, plus $2100 for his crap $700 car (the cover note had a $400 excess) so what could have been a life-long financial calamity ended up being a few weeks on sick pay, and for bonus points he even got the extra cash to buy a better car
    Last edited by nota; 04-24-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    So what would happen if your hypothetical Ferrari was written off by someone with no property insurence or means of paying your damages, are you just left to pay for something that wasn't your fault?
    Well if your Ferrari is protected by your own Comprehensive insurance, then you're ok and have no dramas - if you weren't proven to be drunk & your car was roadworthy, of course. Your insurer will pay out for your repairs (or vehicle value) then pursue & try to extract its own payout-costs from the at-fault party

Or the at-fault might be lucky enough to turn shit into sugar like my friend did via his Cover Note

However if the at-fault driver (or ultimately the vehicle's owner) has no insurance cover they face a legal liability for damage-restitution, and they have to either settle that debt in full or face being sued. Or the damaged party might offer (privately or through court) a part-payment 'compromise' agreement or contractual time-payment as a way of educing at least some reparations

If the guilty party can't pay (or won't) their only other alternatives to avoid payment is to 'do a runner' for a good few years, or declare bankruptcy
    Last edited by nota; 04-24-2006 at 06:44 PM.

im getting a S14a (series 2) front end.

when im done it will look very very similar (diff wheels) to this
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    im getting a S14a (series 2) front end.

when im done it will look very very similar (diff wheels) to this
    That looks damn good. I would get an OEM spec hood thou. No scoops.

Have you thought about weight reduction? I would drill and hollow out screws and bolts and maybe even cut off the side impact beams in the doors. Get plexyglass windshields front and back and the quarter windows.

I would take it racing for money NEVER for fun and make my money back and then some.
    Last edited by QBridge; 04-27-2006 at 01:18 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

ouch, send that wrecked picture to wreckedexotics.com
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    Have you thought about weight reduction? I would drill and hollow out screws and bolts and maybe even cut off the side impact beams in the doors.
    Have you perhaps thought that maybe, just maybe, side impact beams are there for a reason, like to, I dunno, stop things coming through the doors in accidents? And screws and bolts hold things together better when they are intact and whole?

I would take it racing for money NEVER for fun and make my money back and then some.
    Been watching a bit to much Fast and the Furious lately, have we?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Have you thought about weight reduction? I would drill and hollow out screws and bolts and maybe even cut off the side impact beams in the doors. Get plexyglass windshields front and back and the quarter windows.

Are you stupid? You don't do that stuff to a race car or anycar! Taking out the interior door panel would save more weight than hollowing out bolts( how can you even hollow out screws?)!
    You clearly have never raced or been involved with racing, so I suggest you stop with these dangerous suggestions and stop talking out of your ass.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yew! Bummer mate. Such a lovely car too. At least you are standing and breathing. Avoid Cruisers, they normally win.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

^Bias is not your best colour
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    i wasnt going to be nearly half of what the car was worth to insure it for ONE YEAR!

the chassis is fine, anything forward of the front axle is repairable and theres no damage beyond the radiator support.

Im thinkn seeing as its off the road anyway im going to cancel its rego and get the $$ back from that and put some serious modifications into the car after i sort out the sthe other bloke.

Twin Turbo 1UZ (4L lexus V8) anyone?
    Did the airbags blow? or was it not equipped?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    ^Bias is not your best colour
    There was a reason i learnt in a cruiser
    I am the Stig

Thread Information