Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1949 BMW Veritas Cabriolet

Hi,
    can you send me a picture of the green Veritas ?

birling

current?

Anything current on the status of the '49 BMW Veritas by Spohn?

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas49 View Post
    Its fun to re-write automotive history.
    Mike Luxem Oct-2004
    Perhaps the only nugget of truth in the cleverly concocted 'conspiracy'.

Lots of assumptions here. It's important to note:

Spohn often re-bodied cars - even American Pontiac's, Mercury's, etc., some years after the donor cars were sold new. Many of them were commissioned by US military officers looking for a "unique" car to bring home to the States.

"Boston Blacky" was indeed a US TV show produced by Ziv Television Programs, which debuted in 1951, and ran until 1953 - after the Buick had begun to make the rounds of auto exhibits, newsreels, etc. The show featured the hero driving any number of wild cars. Why would Spohn construct a car in 1948 for a show that wouldn't debut until 1951? Did independent, syndicated programming producer Ziv have the dollars and wherewithal for a 3-year ramp-up of a low-bucks syndicated TV show?

I suggest a very simple solution to this "mystery". This probably is a re-bodied BMW, built by Spohn. However, it was constructed by Spohn in the early 1950's - consistent with that firm's practice of putting new bodies on whatever older rolling stock was given to them for re-work.

Assertions that Harley Earl cribbed the design from the Boston Blacky TV show that debuted after his car was publicly shown (also proving time travel is possible), and nobody noticed it, and nobody collected royalties from GM, and nobody exposed it as a rip-off until 2004, are far-fetched and silly.

And the "best kept secret" museum is plastered across the net on numerous lists of Illinois museums and landmarks, multiple Flickr photo collections, etc. The proprietor of the museum has been featured in TV show segments about his license plate collection.

1949 BMW Vertias owner passes away

Long time owner of Hartung's Auto Museum has passed away. The 1949 Vertias BMW white conv is now for sale by estate as of Julu 21 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 49Vertias View Post
    Long time owner of Hartung's Auto Museum has passed away. The 1949 Vertias BMW white conv is now for sale by estate as of Julu 21 2011
    sad to hear. Are there recent pictures available of the car? And is the typo in your user name (as well as in your post) intentional?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1949 BMW Veritas for sale Chicago

Long time companion Marge has stated in our local newspaper "I am going to sell whatever I can to maximize my income"
    Buying deep inside the museum, The Veritas wait's for her new life to begin at last
    I am cleaning out all my accounts to have plenty of cash in pocket as the Hartung Museum is sold off. Wait until Jay Leno hears about this

Quote Originally Posted by 49Vertias View Post
    Long time companion Marge has stated in our local newspaper "I am going to sell whatever I can to maximize my income"
    Buying deep inside the museum, The Veritas wait's for her new life to begin at last
    I am cleaning out all my accounts to have plenty of cash in pocket as the Hartung Museum is sold off. Wait until Jay Leno hears about this

don't tell Jay yet, it might result in an increase in the prices that you may have to pay.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hartung's 1949 Veritas for sale

July 24 2011 Glenview,IL (Chicago) Hartung's Auto Museum is being sold off. A Huge Semi Trailer is staged in the area of the Front gate to the Museum.
    Imagine the guy's who are cherry pickin Lee's collection this week, sad part is there is no record on what's going where. Marge must be stuffing all the fresh cash into her Subaru as one of the largest private collections quickly walks out the gate.
    I don't care about the vintage bikes or all the model A & T's but its the really rare pieces that is sad to see removed for quick cash, wish Lee could see this ~ great planning man
    I too will wave a pile of cash in marges face and see if she bites on my wish list of must haves, "How much for the 1949 BMW Veritas" with a smile

Hartung's Mueseum

Sunday July 24th Building walls still closed. The smell from the build fan was amazing ~ mixture of leather, metal and old smells ~ Even the Museum's smell is priceless
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hartung's Museum front gate

July 24 2011 wonder why a semi trailer is parked here ?

1949 Veritas Hartung's Rarest piece

Story Lee Roy told me was he was sent to remove some old cars from a warehouse that was sold in Lincolnwood,IL where he found this strange looking sports car. He said "it was fast when he would race kids in the 1960's"

1949 Veritas in Glenview,IL

I was like "Lee Roy can we look under the hood?" no he said "then I will have to clear off those pots and pans on the hood"
    After my research I told Lee " I think BMW want's there car back in Germany"
    He later yelled at me " Stop telling people about this car ! I'm getting calls in the middle of the night from some German guys asking about the Veritas !"

1949 Veritas ready to go back to Germany

Well my 2004 post about the Veritas going over seas by 2010 was only a year off ~ Goodby 49 can't wait to see your new home
    The world is waiting for your re-birth

1949 Veritas Chicago for sale

email me direct for iPhone video update's on the Crime of the Century
    Death of Hartung's Museum and the Lost Veritas
    [email protected]
    Q. Wonder why a semi trailer is parked at the front gate ? hmmm

Hartungs Museum 1970 ~ 2011

Good Buy and rest in peace

Thread Information