Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top fuel dragster facts..

Top fuel dragster facts..

dunno if this a repost... search turned up nothing.
    Top Fuel Facts...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some real cool facts about top fuel dragsters I stumbled across.....

---------
    * One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off its fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.

Did you know …

… that the nitromethane-powered engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars produce approximately 7,000 horsepower, about 37 times that of the average street car?

… that one cylinder of the eight cylinders of a Top Fuel dragster or a Funny Car produces 750 horsepower, equaling the entire horsepower output of a NASCAR engine?

… that the gasoline-powered engines of NHRA Pro Stock cars produce about 1,200 horsepower, about eight times that of the average street car?

… that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster accelerates from 0 to 100 mph in less than .8-second, almost 11 seconds quicker than it takes a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach the same speed?

… that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster leaves the starting line with a force nearly five times that of gravity, the same force of the space shuttle when it leaves the launching pad at Cape Canaveral?

… that an NHRA Funny Car is slowed by a reverse force more than seven times that of gravity when both parachutes deploy simultaneously?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars consume between four and five gallons of fuel during a quarter-mile run, which is equivalent to between 16 and 20 gallons per mile?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use between 10 and 12 gallons of fuel for a complete pass, including the burnout, backup to the starting line, and quarter-mile run?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars travel the length of more than four football fields in less than five seconds?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters can exceed 280 mph in just 660 feet?

… that from a standing start, NHRA Top Fuel dragsters accelerate faster than a jumbo jet, a fighter jet, and a Formula One race car?

… that a fuel pump for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster and Funny Car delivers 65 gallons of fuel per minute, equivalent to eight bathroom showers running at the same time?

… that the fuel-line pressure for NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars is between 400 and 500 pounds, about 20 times greater than the pressure on passenger-car fuel pumps?

… that depending on size and angle, the large rear wing on an NHRA Top Fuel dragster develops between 4,000 and 8,000 pounds of downforce?

… that the 17-inch rear tires used on NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars wear out after four to six runs, or about two miles? Some brands of passenger-car tires are guaranteed for 80,000 miles.

… that it takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 7,000 horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels?

… that it's desirable for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster to race with its front wheels inches off the ground for about the first 200 feet of the run? This ensures proper weight transfer to the rear wheels, a crucial part of a good launch and quick run.

… that the nitromethane used to power the engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars costs about $30 per gallon?

Sources: NHRA Communications and Technical Departments, NHRA race teams, motorsports equipment manufacturers (and boostedpimp)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I've seen this posted at least half a billion times, but it's still awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I've seen this posted at least half a billion times, but it's still awesome
    damn. i figured if it was news to me everyone else has seen it 6 times lol
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I wounder would a zo6 if given a head start on a 1/4 mile would the zo6 win, when the top fuel dragster starts going down the same 1/4? if it can then tell me?
    [FLASH] WHAT YOU THINK, YOU SEEN, YOU NEVER SAW HAVE NICE DAY [FLASH] MIB AND MIB2 ROCKS SORRY I HAVE TO NERLIZE YOU AGAIN [FASH]

the top fuel bikes are awesome, there's one in australia thats got a massive white fiberglass body and the exhaust comes out vertically behind the rider.

Top Fuel = Just plain awesome

Guest Guest
    if you mean what i think i mean, then the dragster would easily slaughter it!

I've posted part of this before http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...read.php?t=952, but yours has a lot more info and quite possibly more current. I love this stuff.

ive seen that before its awesome. did you know that the suzuki hayabusa is the fastest production bike in the world right now? if you let somebody get on one and have it completely topped out when he passed the starting line at the drag strip and the funny car took off from a dead stop as soon as the bike passed the line the funny car would still win
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

interesting Juggs, the kind of relevant comparison like do you also realise that the biek could go up and down the strip 10 times in the time it takes the dragster to go once up and down
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I don't know if anyones ever been to a top fuel race, but those damn things are LOUD! I like to sit near the end of the track to see the cars go by and even before they start down the track they rumble the damn bleachers about 2/3 down the track!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    I don't know if anyones ever been to a top fuel race, but those damn things are LOUD! I like to sit near the end of the track to see the cars go by and even before they start down the track they rumble the damn bleachers about 2/3 down the track!
    Yep, been there many times. Awesome when you can feel your heartrate changing rhythm to match their idle. Jet cars have almost the same effect but in a higher pitched whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    interesting Juggs, the kind of relevant comparison like do you also realise that the biek could go up and down the strip 10 times in the time it takes the dragster to go once up and down
    Still, a top fuel averages somewhere around 220 mph, which beats out A LOT of the competition at top speed.

But, yeah, bikes aren't designed for top speed.
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

just the flames conimg out the exhaust produce about 90 pounds
    eat cicada

top fuel

Cool facts.
    This is my first post here. Long time racer and builder of nitro powered equipment.
    I sent a few years building fuel bikes and funny bike parts, a few years driving a comp bike on nitro. It is a whole different animal. You cant even fathom what its like until you have done it. There is nothing tame about it, nothing calm about it, in fact, its down right intimidating. Tough to maintain, tricky to tune.
    Bikes can certainly be built for top end. Look at Larry "spiderman" McBrides times. 5 second quarter miles. I dont think there is anyone here that would argue that fact of that not being top-end fast.
    Thanks for listening.
    Gas is for washing parts
    Alcohol is for drinkin'
    Nitromethane is for racing

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Cool facts.
    This is my first post here. Long time racer and builder of nitro powered equipment.
    I sent a few years building fuel bikes and funny bike parts, a few years driving a comp bike on nitro. It is a whole different animal. You cant even fathom what its like until you have done it. There is nothing tame about it, nothing calm about it, in fact, its down right intimidating. Tough to maintain, tricky to tune.
    Bikes can certainly be built for top end. Look at Larry "spiderman" McBrides times. 5 second quarter miles. I dont think there is anyone here that would argue that fact of that not being top-end fast.
    Thanks for listening.
    Do you go to lebanon valley much?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information