Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 327 chev vs 340-6 pack chrysler vs 351 cleveland

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing nota.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    #3: Much modded Holden 179 with solid lifters, race cam, Yella Terra head, extractors, twin Strommies, etc. 1,500 rpm idle.
    looks great. do you know if it's still getting around?
    more info on torana please..
    Great for lunchtime drive-bys at the Catholic Girls High School ...
    LOL
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Great-looking stuff thanks nota! I love it.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I would pick the small block chevy. It's much cheaper to get power out of it compared to ford and chrysler.
    I think with the abundance of aftermarket parts for Ford and Dodge from places like Summit, this is largely a myth.

For my money, I'd take the Cleveland. Plenty of power without too much weight, tank-like reliability. The chevy is, well, a bit boring, and not as well constructed, and the Dodge's 3-carb setup will be touchy.
    Cougar. Impala. Road Runner. Mustang. Barracuda. Marlin. Cobra. Wildcat. Falcon. Hornet. Tiger. Jaguar. Colt. Bronco. Viper. Bagheera. Gremlin. Stingray. Firebird. Pinto. Thunderbird. Eagle. Skylark.

Protect the Wildlife. Don't crush them, restore them.

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I think with the abundance of aftermarket parts for Ford and Dodge from places like Summit, this is largely a myth.

For my money, I'd take the Cleveland. Plenty of power without too much weight, tank-like reliability. The chevy is, well, a bit boring, and not as well constructed, and the Dodge's 3-carb setup will be touchy.
    That came from my uncle who's an engine builder. He builds all three and still says the chevy is better and cheaper to get power out of. I think he has about $2,000 into his BBC drag engine, basically a truck engine, with good pistons, rod and crank, putting out about 575 at the crank. Can a ford or chrysler do the same?(yes I am biased towards chevys)
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    That came from my uncle who's an engine builder. He builds all three and still says the chevy is better and cheaper to get power out of. I think he has about $2,000 into his BBC drag engine, basically a truck engine, with good pistons, rod and crank, putting out about 575 at the crank. Can a ford or chrysler do the same?(yes I am biased towards chevys)
    Judging by unix's avatar, he's biased towards Fords.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Judging by unix's avatar, he's biased towards Fords.
    haha good work sherlock
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    haha good work sherlock
    I just wanted to make sure some of our slower members (i.e., you) were sure about that.

well i wasn't sure.. i was going to ask pokey for some statistical analysis on it first. but you seem to have it covered.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 10-22-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    For my money, I'd take the Cleveland. Plenty of power without too much weight, tank-like reliability.
    Speaking from the land which became the 'home of the Cleveland', I will venture this:

That engine was heavy, a real porker.
    By design it was beset by chronic oiling problems (in racing applications).
    Huge ports meant (comparitively) not much torque at lower revs, they needed revs to really fly
    It sounded fantastic and in its day was fast as hell.

Listen to Aussie 351C guru Dick Johnson's Falcon XE touring car as he guns for pole during qualifying for the '83 Bathurst 1000 km event.

A previous winner and set to do it again, in clearly the fastest car in the race. It was all looking so good for the Super Dick, until...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpNqdpVebMY"]YouTube - Dick Johnsons 1983 Bathurst Top Ten Qualifying Lap[/ame]

Btw engine-builder Johnson admitted to briefly using up to 8,000 rpm in the big Clevo, which was manufactured here until 1984. Those fat rear tyres were off a Porsche 935 - the widest race tyre available at that time - but initially they couldn't handle the weight of the big Falcon and used to literally pop the cords out of the sidewall. Not at Mt Panorama but on other circuits the car would develop a monumental vibration when loaded up through certain high-speed corners (enough to blur the drivers vision & knock the interior mirror off the windscreen!) and he'd pull into the pits with all these tyre cords hang out the side of the tyre!

Excellent info as always, nota.
    I must say, the front suspension seemed to be struggling pretty badly. But, what a sound.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Super Dick should have this on his race suit for that kinda driving:

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Yeah, the Cleveland in my Dad's Mach 1 was a real dog under 3k, but starting at about 3500 it would just pick up power and keep going, going, going...always loved the 2nd gear pull onto the freeway I was never a fan of revvers before I drove the Cleveland (which, at my experience level at the time, always scared the $@#%@ out of me)..
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-23-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    Great for lunchtime drive-bys at the Catholic Girls High School ... dump the clutch at 7,000 rpm and the front would lift up 18".
    I'd forgotten about that sort of male behaviour until I read that post........

Thread Information