Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Purchase: NSX

Future Purchase: NSX

First off hello all, it's been a while.

I've been thinking on and off for a while about what car to purchase. The problem I keep running into is based on a few things:

Is it unique: I want a car that you don't see everyday. Every other shmuck has a Mustang or 3 series. They're great cars but I think after a while I'd get buyers remorse with one of them, wouldn't seem very special.

Maintenance: on the other hand, it can't be really unique and exotic either. I can't afford to service an imported Lancia or a 30 year old Ferrari. Gas mileage should be respectable as well. That stuff ain't cheap.

Performance: I'm 23, won't be young forever. Would like a sportier car before its off to the land of minivans and hatches. Doesnt have to be stupid fast, but a car that can comfortably do 100 mph would be nice. Handling is more important here though as I don't really speed too far past the limit.

Price: I'm out of debt completely and starting to save a nice chunk of money. I figure I'd be buying by the time I hit 25 (a little over a year from now) when my insurance rate drops considerably -- my driving record is spotless. Couple parking tickets is about it. Figured budget will be in the 25k range, USD.

All that being said, I keep steering towards the NSX. I think it fits the bill for what my criteria states but I haven't done much research on them. I'm sure a few of you can chime in about the car and what to expect when buying one that's close to 15 years old. Im looking to buy outright, not lease btw.

Is it a good idea or should I bury my dream?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Also, I made a similar thread to this one in the past but I'm on a tablet and I don't feel like finding it. Feel free to suggest some cars or discuss user rides in general.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I heard they're expensive to insure because of the aluminum bodywork- it's hard to work with.

An early 90's NSX would be attainable probably, and relatively cheap.

I think the early 90's NSX can look prettier- pop up headlights for the win.

Good luck on your purchase, be sure to share photos.

Other cars to consider- RX-7 maybe? Nissan Silvia or 240Z or 300Z? But the Nissans may be too common for your preferences.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 04-16-2012 at 07:31 PM.

As bulletproof as they may be, a 20 year old car is a 20 year old car... granted, there are some MINT 1992 (or even older) NSXs out there, even some with less than 50k miles, but basically impossible to find or buy.

I've always wanted an NSX, but I'd only buy one if I could also afford a daily driver at the same time. I commute 60 miles every day and my car is parked under the sun all day, I couldn't do that to an NSX.

They're stupid expensive when it comes to accident repair, but as already noted mechanically very dependable. A friend's son (he's 24) bought
    a nice low-mileage '92 two years ago for under $30K and drives it daily. That was the reason he got it; he was hired by Honda straight out of engineering school and wanted not just to fit in, but make an impression.

Great cars... hard to believe they're 20 years old now. If you can swing the insurance, go for it.
    Pick the best your budget allows with all records and known history.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Other cars to consider- RX-7 maybe? Nissan Silvia or 240Z or 300Z? But the Nissans may be too common for your preferences.
    No interest in those. Rx-7 is a cool car but the 240 and 300 would make me feel
    like a 17 year old greasy punk named Juan behind the wheel.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

What about the S2000? Sochiro's last project, cost a little less and there are plenty to choose from.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

As nice as they might be I don't think NSX is that cheap to own...(that is, not just buying, but running and maintenance). Early 90s car might also have small issues that may add up. Now if you are handy some thing might be able DIY-able and save some bucks....but then again maybe something like a NSX is not that DIY-er friendly...

In the same vein maybe a bit cheaper would be a S2000, something that I'd love to get into one day...$25k can probably get a really nice one....

I am a lazy guy, if I want to drive a nice ish car that I can enjoy AND I have a 25K budget, I'd really buy newer cars(which I did)...never been a guy who really cared about being seen as a "schmuck" though....I kinda enjoy having a newer car this last weekend that I basically just change the brake pad to track pad, and drove 200 miles to a track day, have a blast around the track(no trouble hitting 100mph and slowing down from that), and drove 200 miles back....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 04-16-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

IIRC at least the early NSX's had a lot of rear toe-in set at the factory and rear tires would last only about 6k miles.

Very cool cars IMO but also have read that they are so refined they are almost as boring to drive as an Accord.

evo had a look at one in the March 2012 issue.

Have a look at what they have to say about know issues, its quite a good write up
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

1991 Acura NSX Archives - Long-Term Road Tests

Edmund Insideline currently have a 1991 car in their fleet....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Suprised to even see them listed in eBay Motors. Current bid: $16,000, reserve not met.

I can't see a used '91 go past at least $29,000. But knowing eBay Motors, everybody wants a premium. "It's an NSX!"
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    1991 Acura NSX Archives - Long-Term Road Tests

Edmund Insideline currently have a 1991 car in their fleet....
    Great find, thanks for sharing.

I really like the earlier NSXs, mainly for the coupe only body and the popup headlights.

hondas of all kinds are generally reliable compared to vehicles made by others but when the nsx DOES NEED A PART... prepare do bleed
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

I'd personally go for a kit car (probably a Caterham, because kit Cobra's are a dime a dozen) if I were in your position. But talk to me 8-10 years from now. If you had access to a garage and tools I would say go for it. But an NSX is always a good choice, I'd consider a Lotus Esprit of the same period, or maybe even a 911, again of the same vintage, and they were still air cooled as they ought to be.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information