3 6.67%
  • Volkswagen Tiguen

1 2.22%
  • Mercedes-Benz C63

2 4.44%
  • Honda Jazz

3 6.67%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Wheels Car of the Year - what car will win?

Judging by people like Bleeding Heart they just vote for whatever the hell they want, ignorant of the criteria.

And the Falcon is the sentimental choice. It would by no means be a mean feat if it won on it's own merits, but with a vehicle like that it's as much an emotional response as a matter of quality.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Also, 5 Aussies voted for the Falcon so potentially patriotism bias/favouritism there or maybe realism recognising that the magazine will skew Australian?

The magazine was known in the 70's for an Australian bias - indeed, the award was only available for Australian built cars until the early 70's.

But over the past 5 years, Two Mazdas, A Mercedes, A Holden & A Ford have won the award.

So one could say they are in fact biased against Australian cars
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    At this point the Falcon leads polling.

What I wonder is are people voting for what they want to win or what they think will win - the poll asks for what will win not what's your favourite.

Is the Falcon really that good or are people cosing it because they think patriotism (coupled with bribery maybe?) will give it the edge in the test?
    I voted for the Flacon because it's what I think will win.

In this times of crisis and problems chauvinism ftw, probably.

If I had to vote for what I'd like to win I'd go for the Jazz or the 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The magazine was known in the 70's for an Australian bias - indeed, the award was only available for Australian built cars until the early 70's.

But over the past 5 years, Two Mazdas, A Mercedes, A Holden & A Ford have won the award.

So one could say they are in fact biased against Australian cars
    Isn't the Flacon, technically, a Ford?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I voted for the Flacon because it's what I think will win.

In this times of crisis and problems chauvinism ftw, probably.

If I had to vote for what I'd like to win I'd go for the Jazz or the 6.
    I would expect you to be wise and attentive enough to vote for what the question asked. A vote for the Falcon would make sense to me.

the falcon looks like ass now.
    i'd vote mondeo/mazda 6 if keeping it within the company, also like the euro.

but then this is all irrelevant anyway, because new cars are for suckers
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's difficult between the A4 and Falcon, but I think the A4 deserves the Car of the Year title.

I mean, just look at it

Zytek Fan choosing an Audi - what a surprise.

It's about as surprising as Ferrer bashing/not choosing an Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    It's difficult between the A4 and Falcon, but I think the A4 deserves the Car of the Year title.

I mean, just look at it
    it looks as bad as the falcon
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Zytek Fan choosing an Audi - what a surprise.

It's about as surprising as Ferrer bashing/not choosing an Audi.
    Is there anything wrong with Audi?

...other than the occasional electrical quirk.

Hey i drive a Holden !!.. Yet i selected the Ford. It's package is more then one car and that is why i chose it above the field.

Guys come down to Australia and have a drive on our roads. Then go back to Europe and drive on their roads. Then you will see why they believe the citron isn't suited to our roads.
    That is a mark off in my opinion. It doesn't hurt to tweak something for different environments.

A typical Aussie road.. And only last week my auntie almost lost her front and she hit a pothole and the car almost launched off the road @ 100kmph.

Turn it up loud.

"Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Hah if we are to listen to Ferrer they have dead steering feel and potentially are involving? I don't want to put words in his mouth though.

I guess when it comes to the BMW/Audi/Benz battle, I see BMW as being the best for driving, Benz for being the best for luxury, and Audi - I don't really know. The 3 is the best year after year in it's category - I'd say the S is probably the best flagship luxury sedan of the three, and as for the 5 vs E vs A6 I know the 5 has a good history for driving dynamics, the E for luxury, but what does th 6 have to offer? This preceding is probably an oversimplification but I dunno what Audi has over Benz or BMW other than quattro and looks (if you like them - and I'm of two minds on the looks of Audi). Audi does have the RS6 which is a curiosity and interesting and the R8 however which I and many others rate highly.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    Hey i drive a Holden !!.. Yet i selected the Ford. It's package is more then one car and that is why i chose it above the field.

Guys come down to Australia and have a drive on our roads. Then go back to Europe and drive on their roads. Then you will see why they believe the citron isn't suited to our roads.
    That is a mark off in my opinion. It doesn't hurt to tweak something for different environments.

A typical Aussie road.. And only last week my auntie almost lost her front and she hit a pothole and the car almost launched off the road @ 100kmph.

Turn it up loud.

Slick your meant to miss those potholes mate, its not just the potholes though.. like IB4r said its the undulations that cause the problems with suspension. A lower rebound shock and a firmer spring probably gives the best ride compromise, Citroen with the C5 may have not done enough R&D to suit our conditions due to the small market here and that has shown up in the testing.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Well, interesting responses over the past day. I'll get back to the Citroen shortly. Seems that is the car that has created most controversy on these pages.

However, I'll address some other points first.

At this point the Falcon leads polling.

What I wonder is are people voting for what they want to win or what they think will win - the poll asks for what will win not what's your favourite.

Is the Falcon really that good or are people cosing it because they think patriotism (coupled with bribery maybe?) will give it the edge in the test?
    Yes, I asked in the poll for people to select the car they think will win. Not for the car they want to win or should win.

I chose the Falcon, not because I own the previous model, nor because I am a Ford fanboy, not because I patriotic (I'm a New Zealander by birth after all), but simply because I am fairly confident that rightly or wrongly it will win. I gave my reasons back in the second post.

As a Ford fan and owner, of course I'll be happy if it does win - so in a way its also the car I want to win. However, its not the car that I think should win. I think the BMW 1-series Coupe or VW Tiguan are the cars that should win. And I have a soft spot for the Jaguar XF as well.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post

I mean, just look at it
    Now, the real surprise in the poll so far to me is how well the Audi A4 is doing.

Can I ask all those who voted for the Audi if they read the criteria? Particularly the value criteria? The Value criteria is as follows: "Does the price accurately reflect its qualities? Essentially quality – in every sense – versus price.".

First, consider the price of the base Audi A4 1.8T costs A$50,900 with the six-speed manual or $53,500 with the CVT transmission.
    Next, consider the price of the two cars on the test which are a similar size, and in many ways directly comparable.
    The base Mazda6 Ltd costs just $27,990 with a 6-speed manual and $29,990 with a 5-speed auto.
    The base Honda Accord Euro costs $32,990 with a 6-speed manual and $34,990 with a 5-speed auto.

Now, can anybody out there convince me that the Audi A4 represents great value when compared to two very convincing rivals like the Mazda6 or Accord Euro. Is the basic A4 worth $22,910 more than the basic Mazda6? Put another way, is it 54% better again than the Mazda, which its price suggests it should be?
    I'd suggest not. And badge aside, I'd suggest that the Mazda is comparable in almost every way. As a drivers car the Mazda is probably comparable. It wouldn't suffer for reliability. Sure, the Audi has a reputation for quality - but how much of this is perceived as opposed to real quality? Is the extra perceived quality really worth $22,910?
    And we can even forget about comparing the base Mazda6 when it comes to value. In Australian, one can get a top of the range Mazda6 Luxury Sports Hatch for $42,990 - which is still almost $10,000 less than the base Audi.
    So, when it comes to value, case closed. The base Mazda6 is probably 98% as good as the Audi for 54% less.
    And its this sort of comparison that will hurt the Audi's chances of winning the Wheels COTY.
    I may be reasonable value compared to a BMW 3-series or Mercedes C-Class, but not compared to the Mazda6 or Accord Euro.
    This same value equation almost cost the Mercedes-Benz C-Class the win last year against the Ford Mondeo.
    I feel that the Audi won't get past it however. For another factor is that for a car to win the Wheels Car of the Year, it should be the best car in its class. A recent comparison between last years Car of the Year winner the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Audi A4 saw the Mercedes given the win. So last years Car of the Year is still the best car in its class. Hence, not only does the Audi suffer on value, if the judges select it they will be selecting a car that they have already said in the pages of their magazine is not as good as last year's winning car. And this may devalue the award a little.

Earlier in the thread, the question was asked of Australians if they were voting patriotically in favour of an Australian built car. Can I ask if some people are voting for the Audi because it is an aspirational German car with a prestige badge?
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 12-18-2008 at 03:01 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thread Information