Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford Duratec 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by more-boost1555
    .............Also, I allways thought the 2.5 was a de-stroked version of the 3.0, not the other way around. The GT90 was in fact powered by two Lincoln V8's with two cylinders each lopped off, and spot welded together. At least that's what I've read.
    This is an interesting point. The 2.5 version of the Duratec came out before the 3.0 version, both using DOHC. But in 1986 Ford produced the 3.0 Vulcan engine it had an OHV configuration but was also a 60 degree V6. I haven't found this in writing anywhere but it may be that the 2.5 Duratec was a destroked version of the Vulcan 3.0. Later the DOHC found its way onto the 3.0, producing the 3.0 Duratec.

You are probably right with the GT90...I haven't read anything about the GT90s engine. But it seems to follow Ford's policy of using the corporate parts bin. A telltale sign will be the angle of the V and bore and stroke if it hasn't been stroked. If Vanquish uses 2 Duratecs why can't the GT90 use the Lincoln V8.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Drove one of these Duratec powered vehicles not bad at all http://www.k1-styling.sk/menu.php

Here's a pic of the light and compact: Duratec ST-220 used in the top of the line Mondeo. 3 liter V6 - 226hp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Here's a pic of the light and compact: Duratec ST-220 used in the top of the line Mondeo. 3 liter V6 - 226hp
    hi just wondering if the 3.0 and 2.5 Duratec engines are identical in external size and mounting points etc, as the 2.5 in my cougar which i have owned for barely two months with only 2,4000 miles on the clock has died and i am looking for a donor engine to transplant any help on this matter would be appreciated cheers ro55

Quote Originally Posted by ro55
    hi just wondering if the 3.0 and 2.5 Duratec engines are identical in external size and mounting points etc, as the 2.5 in my cougar which i have owned for barely two months with only 2,4000 miles on the clock has died and i am looking for a donor engine to transplant any help on this matter would be appreciated cheers ro55
    That's a tough question as I've never read of someone trying this swap. Even if the blocks are the same size there might be other fit issues, as in engine-packaging. Especially an issue with transversely mounted engines. Best to check with a dealer about swap possibility.

You said your engine went out after only 2 months and how many miles? Is it 2,400 or 24,000? If 2,400, then was the car brand new? Even with 24K miles, shouldn't the warranty cover?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv View Post
    I have researched the Ford built 3.0 V6 some. Found in many Ford vehicles and also powering the various Lincolns/Mazdas/Jags. Havn't come across too much...as in exact evolution of this engine.

Some basics: It is a 3.0 liter, 60' V6, all aluminum(block and heads), chain-driven, DOHC, 24 valve engine. Enlarged version of European Mondeos 2.5L V6?...What is a good source of engine development info? Or maybe you know something about it from personal experience? It powered the Taurus/Sables.

Maybe someones parents or friends had an especially high mileage Duratec? I searched google for Duratec life expectancy, and came up with about 180K miles. Hardly impressive.

I had a 98 Sable with duratec and got 383k and it stll runs with a cracked head. I would say that is impressive.

is there anywhere i can get performance parts for my duratec 30 or will i have to do the work myself
    Last edited by quez; 11-28-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: misspelling

Look to Cosworth, they have many available
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

LOTS available, can't say how much and where in the US though, but if you just google for it in the UK you'll get lots of options .. but then watch out for exchange rate you might kick yourself if it ever gets back out to $2/£1
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Nice thread. It contains some very good information.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-30-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv View Post
    That's a tough question as I've never read of someone trying this swap. Even if the blocks are the same size there might be other fit issues, as in engine-packaging. Especially an issue with transversely mounted engines. Best to check with a dealer about swap possibility.

You said your engine went out after only 2 months and how many miles? Is it 2,400 or 24,000? If 2,400, then was the car brand new? Even with 24K miles, shouldn't the warranty cover?
    Wondering if anyone has heard anything more about this. Trying to do something similar - swap the Duratec 23 I4 to Duratec 30 v6. Any thoughts?

Ok so i know im new here but i have done a bit of research on the Duratec 30, and i found this site to be extremely knowledgeable. Sorry...

As far as swapping the duratec 30 into a car with a duratec 25 its actually a fairly common swap, my friend is planning on dropping a 30 into his mercury cougar
    Last edited by gmtarsw; 11-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thread Information