Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota withdraws from F1 with immediate effect

Toyota withdraws from F1 with immediate effect

After Honda and BMW, Toyota is the third major manufacturer to withdraw from F1. So we will have 13 teams on the grid after all in 2010 if all other new teams can get ready in time.

The story on Autosport.com: autosport.com - F1 News: Toyota pulls out of Formula 1
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

If the new teams to get ready, it will be interesting to see who can put the best car on the grid, there are what 4 new teams(Campos, Lola, Lotus, USF1).
    I'm not suprised to be honest. Toyota during the season wanted a few wins for them to stay in F1. And didn't they spend the most in a season, 1 year? I think i was between 04-06. O well, Im sure in 2011 Someone will enter a team
    Thats Motorsport for ya.

Sorry that I'm not up to date with F1 team movements, Was this expected? or out of the blue?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Sorry that I'm not up to date with F1 team movements, Was this expected? or out of the blue?
    No, they have been under-performing for seasons with few signs of improvement.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

It was Expected... they annouced it earlier in the season that if they didnt win a race i believe then they would pull out of Formula 1.

Sad news. Toyota, the biggest car company in the world and they can't afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    Sad news. Toyota, the biggest car company in the world and they can't afford it?
    They can't justify the expense. I am sure they can afford it.

(Ted Joans)

They can afford it ... just don't seem able to DO IT.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
    there are what 4 new teams(Campos, Lola, Lotus, USF1)
    A bit of nitpicking here, but Lola has announced that they wouldn't enter earlier this year. The fourth team is Manor (aka Virgin seemingly). I'd also add a future Sauber to this list, as they will loose BMW support (would they still receive engines?).

As many have said it's difficult to be the biggest spending team in the grid and not win anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    A bit of nitpicking here, but Lola has announced that they wouldn't enter earlier this year. The fourth team is Manor (aka Virgin seemingly). I'd also add a future Sauber to this list, as they will loose BMW support (would they still receive engines?).
    Hadn't McLaren bought BMW's F1 engine department?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Expected or not, probably Toyota hadn't decided of the withdrawal until late, if they had they wouldn't have signed the Concorde agreement. I doubt they'd sell the team either, but luckily the supposed team count might not drop thanks to Sauber.

Apparently Renault should also decide on their participation in 2010 today.

Edit: Sauber is said to use Ferrari engines if they race next season.
    Last edited by twinspark; 11-04-2009 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Apparently Renault should also decide on their participation in 2010 today.
    The problem with Renault AFAIK is that they aren't finding any sponsors because cars that crash on lap 14 don't get much TV coverage...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This isn't really surprising. They've said all along that unless they show signs of serious improvement (according to their "plan" they were meant to have taken home at least a Manufacturers championship by now) they'd reassess and likely pull out. A shame but really, they weren't having the Halo effect they wanted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    The problem with Renault AFAIK is that they aren't finding any sponsors because cars that crash on lap 14 don't get much TV coverage...
    Sure they do, they get on the Highlights reel more than a back marker
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm not sure they already did. I've heard that they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Edit: Sauber is said to use Ferrari engines if they race next season.
    Hmm..just like before

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As many have said it's difficult to be the biggest spending team in the grid and not win anything.

Not yet, just rumors.

Lola refused to re-try to enter for 2010 after they were dismissed in favor of teams without a factory, a sponsor or whatsoever abilities int he field. They were still committed to the project, and shifting it to a 2011 entry. I'm wondering how they will manage to enter though.

So far Manor (whatever the name will be) Campos, USF1 and Lotus are officially in, albeit only Campos (which is technically Dallara backed) seems to be fine. USF1 showed off a facility too empty and clean to be working seriously and a scale model of a car I honestly could have had designed myself starting from a 1:43 model of a 2009 car.
    Both Manor and Lotus are silent at the moment.

With the spot left free by Toyota, Sauber should be granted the last opportunity to race as previously stated. I think they already signed the Ferrari's engine deal.

Do you now why Epsilon Euskadi didn't try to re-enter?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information