Thread: Lavaggi LS1 LMP1

Lavaggi LS1 LMP1

Giovanni Lavaggi's desire to resurrect the driver-constructor continues apace, as the first Lavaggi LS1 has successfully cleared the stringent FIA crash test procedure ahead of a planned Le Mans Endurance Series debut next season.

The car, a Cosworth V8-powered LMP1 sports prototype, is the first of its kind to have been designed and built in Monte Carlo, and will race bearing the national white-and-red colours of the principality as Lavaggi,a qualified engineer who reached the 'heights' of F1 with Lotus-Pacific and Minardi in the mid-Nineties, attempts to revive the spirit of pioneers such as Bruce McLaren and Jack Brabham.

"The idea to participate in races with a car designed and built by myself was always in me," the Italian admitted, "Since I was a little boy, the high admiration which I always felt for the real big names in the automobile world was making me dream that I could be able to emulate them one day. And who knows? May be the fact of being born on 18 February - exactly the same day as Enzo Ferrari - has influenced my destiny by an unknown astrological effect, and keeps my passion burning."

The LS1 may also participate in the Le Mans 24 Hours and selected ALMS and Japanese AJSCS events.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Giovanni Lavaggi's desire to resurrect the driver-constructor continues apace, as the first Lavaggi LS1 has successfully cleared the stringent FIA crash test procedure ahead of a planned Le Mans Endurance Series debut next season.

The car, a Cosworth V8-powered LMP1 sports prototype, is the first of its kind to have been designed and built in Monte Carlo, and will race bearing the national white-and-red colours of the principality as Lavaggi,a qualified engineer who reached the 'heights' of F1 with Lotus-Pacific and Minardi in the mid-Nineties, attempts to revive the spirit of pioneers such as Bruce McLaren and Jack Brabham.

"The idea to participate in races with a car designed and built by myself was always in me," the Italian admitted, "Since I was a little boy, the high admiration which I always felt for the real big names in the automobile world was making me dream that I could be able to emulate them one day. And who knows? May be the fact of being born on 18 February - exactly the same day as Enzo Ferrari - has influenced my destiny by an unknown astrological effect, and keeps my passion burning."

The LS1 may also participate in the Le Mans 24 Hours and selected ALMS and Japanese AJSCS events.
    Alright.. weirdo.

The LS1 LMP1 looks a lot like the Lola B05/40 but with a longer rear

why is it called the LS1? The name makes it sound like its LS1 powered. Naming your car after an engine name probably isn't the best idea

I am going to question the reliability of the Cosworth V8

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I am going to question the reliability of the Cosworth V8
    Based on what ?

Even in F1 they had no unscheduled engine changes with Red Bull Racing throughout the 2005 race season & were the only team to achieve this.

No reason to imagine why they wouldn't make the same engineering route for an endurance racer.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Based on what ?

Even in F1 they had no unscheduled engine changes with Red Bull Racing throughout the 2005 race season & were the only team to achieve this.

No reason to imagine why they wouldn't make the same engineering route for an endurance racer.
    Just because the engine is new

If I had to guess this would actually be the Champcar based turbocharged 2.65 liter V8.....which has seen action in sportscar in the form of the ethanol powered Nasamax....

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    If I had to guess this would actually be the Champcar based turbocharged 2.65 liter V8.....which has seen action in sportscar in the form of the ethanol powered Nasamax....
    Back in 2003

did LeMans '04 with the Bioethanol Judd engine
    Last edited by DasModell; 11-07-2005 at 05:22 PM.
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by DasModell
    did LeMans '04 with the Bioethanol Judd engine
    The 'Bio GV5' was jointly developed by Nasamax and Judd. Nasamax supplying the fuel specification and operating parameters and Judd undertaking the dyno work and engine preparation. The engine used is a standard GV5 incorporating modifications to the injection system, mapping, and inlet system hardware. There are some other modifications which we cannot disclose at this time". John McNeil adds, "Bio ethanol was chosen as it is a renewable fuel with a bright future; a rapid expansion in its use will be seen over the next ten years. Nasamax evaluated all renewable fuel options for the project; bio ethanol was chosen as it was considered to be the most the most 'deliverable' fuel from both the performance and supply perspective.

More Lavaggi LS1 LMP1 news

News emerges that former race car driver Giovanni Lavaggi will be fielding (manufacturing and driving!) his self designed and developed Lavaggi LS1 LMP1 prototype in the 2006 LMES. Lavaggi's credentials go beyond driving as he is also an engineer, "The idea to participate in races with a car designed and built by myself was always in me. Since I was a little boy, the high admiration which I always felt for the real big names in the automobile world, was making me dream that I could be able to emulate them one day." The car's design is already well advanced with the mandatory FIA crash test having been completed and the chassis having passed. Few technical details are available at the time though we do know that the engine will be a large capacity (6.0 liter) V8 and that the car is being manufactured in Monaco (a first?). More details to follow.

Thread Information