Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Boxster 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Porsche Boxster 2012

I recently attended the UK launch of the new Porsche Boxster at the local Porsche dealership, Carrs of Exeter. There were 3 "S" models on display - one in blue, one in black and a stunning silver model with red interior. I took a selection of pics which you can view on my Flickr page - follow this link:

Porsche Boxster 2012 - a set on Flickr

Enjoy!

Never been a fan of this ...Or the Cayman for that matter. Why would you choose those over a 911?
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    Never been a fan of this ...Or the Cayman for that matter. Why would you choose those over a 911?
    For superior mid-engine balance at a lower price, plus the Cayman has better lines.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    For superior mid-engine balance at a lower price, plus the Cayman has better lines.
    You see what you're doing is talking rubbish
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    You see what you're doing is talking rubbish
    Give an intelligent rebuttal then, please. Having driven Caymans and Boxters as well as various 911 versions up to the 997 911GT2,
    I'm comfortable making the statement... and I own a few 911s. The mid engine platform provides considerably better dynamic balance,
    is roughly 175 kilos lighter and to my eyes, more attractive styling than the 911.

If Porsche built the Cayman with the same powertrain options available for the 991, it would be superior and cost less.
    They don't because that would steal sales from the flagship 911.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I'd take the black please... Wow.

I think the 911 looks better, but otherwise agree.

Maybe the rumoured sub 918 (960?) will to be and be the new high end Porsche sports car.

I think the previous iteration of the Boxster looked better but I agree with the claims that the Cayman /Boxster is the superior driver's car. I can't make that claim from personal experience but from a reliable driver (yes, that sounds like my mother's brother's cousin's former roommate ). I do see a problem for the Cayman. It doesn't have the emergency back seats of the 911. They are tiny and largely useless but not 100% useless. Also, the 911 get's AWD because it's relatively easy to put a propshaft on the end of the gear box and send the power forward. This is not easy to do with the mid-engine layout.

However, since I would rather have the car with more finesse and I think the 911 lost it's true classic shape with the end of the 993 I would be just as happy with the Cayman.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Give an intelligent rebuttal then, please. Having driven Caymans and Boxters as well as various 911 versions up to the 997 911GT2,
    I'm comfortable making the statement... and I own a few 911s. The mid engine platform provides considerably better dynamic balance,
    is roughly 175 kilos lighter and to my eyes, more attractive styling than the 911.

If Porsche built the Cayman with the same powertrain options available for the 991, it would be superior and cost less.
    They don't because that would steal sales from the flagship 911.
    I agree- I love the looks of the Cayman. My dad likes 911s and he liked the Cayman instantly.

Long story short- if Porsche thought the rear engined layout was so awesome, they would have done it with the Carrera GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think the 911 looks better, but otherwise agree.

Maybe the rumoured sub 918 (960?) will to be and be the new high end Porsche sports car.
    Something below the 918 would be nice, for you know, us mortals.

Maybe a new 928?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Something below the 918 would be nice, for you know, us mortals.

Maybe a new 928?
    They say there'll be some varients of the new Panamera, so a 2-door is likely at that point. I guess that'll be the 'new 928'.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    They say there'll be some varients of the new Panamera, so a 2-door is likely at that point. I guess that'll be the 'new 928'.
    I've heard those rumours, of course also the Macan, maybe a mini Panamera as well, and the "928."

More rampant speculation discussed a midengined 960 that would be like the high end sportscar sorta version of the 918.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    However, since I would rather have the car with more finesse and I think the 911 lost it's true classic shape with the end of the 993 I would be just as happy with the Cayman.
    100% agree. The 993 is pretty to a level where future generations of 911 will most likely never be again. Everything nowadays is going wider, longer, thicker. That may all sound very appealing to a woman, but in the car world it stinks. I liked the 997, but the car thats replacing it looks so... off.

As for the new Boxster, I think its been given its best styling yet, and I definitely wouldn't say no to one.

911 is RR because of historical baggage...and Cayman/Boxster are engineered to be slower than 911....As long as 911 is made to be in the higher price bracket than the Cayman/Boxster, they won't put the same powertrain and technology in those car...

Not to say RR does not have benefit though, their traction advantage is obvious even when pitted against MR/FR cars in racing, especially when aero usage is more limited. RR coupled with flat 6 is a huge hindrance in underbody aero for modern car, especially in GT class where limit bodywork position is written in the rule...heck, flat 6 was an issue even in Group C 956/962....

I hope the on-again-off-again VW Bluesport thing is still alive, a VW/Porsche Mazda Miata kind of MR sports car will be kinda nice....even if it will be a reborn of 914...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    911 is RR because of historical baggage...and Cayman/Boxster are engineered to be slower than 911....As long as 911 is made to be in the higher price bracket than the Cayman/Boxster, they won't put the same powertrain and technology in those car...

Not to say RR does not have benefit though, their traction advantage is obvious even when pitted against MR/FR cars in racing, especially when aero usage is more limited. RR coupled with flat 6 is a huge hindrance in underbody aero for modern car, especially in GT class where limit bodywork position is written in the rule...heck, flat 6 was an issue even in Group C 956/962....

I hope the on-again-off-again VW Bluesport thing is still alive, a VW/Porsche Mazda Miata kind of MR sports car will be kinda nice....even if it will be a reborn of 914...
    I've always thought, wouldn't it be cool if a Cayman got a 911 GT3's engine?

Too bad Porsche would never see that through.

RUF on t he other hand...

RR doesn't really have a big traction advantage over MR. It's a bit but not nearly enough to justify the layout. The true advantages to RR were interior space (like FF in this regard and hence why it was that way on the VW) and in modern times, it's much easier to make the thing AWD (it's an Audi drive line in reverse). Porsche uses it for both historical and AWD reasons.

Thread Information