Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made in the USA? Or Not Made in the USA?

Made in the USA? Or Not Made in the USA?

Just where is that Buick Regal made? Answer: Germany. But, according to the Made in the USA Foundation, you wouldn't know this from the label if you saw the car at an auto show.

The foundation has charged GM with violating the American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA), which requires all new cars in the retail market to include country-of-origin information.

The AALA requires a window sticker on new cars that includes information such as where the car was assembled, where the engine was made, and where the transmission was made.

According to the foundation, these labels are left off GM cars on display at auto shows.
    Read more: Made in the USA Foundation says GM is stripping 'Made in' labels from show models | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

It's one thing to know that Buick is made in Germany...But it's another thing to just blatantly strip the "Made in XXXX" from the car. Most people think of cars the same way as clothes. If its made in the USA, then its just "standard". If its made in Germany (where everything concerning their automobiles manufacturing is "premium") then its luxury on some BMW or Merceds-Benz steez. I'm seeing this in two aspects: Not enough revenue would go to GM, but at the same time they could see some profit if the customer knows that their cars are made in Germany instead of the USA.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Revenue goes to GM regardless. USA or Germany GM still made the car. At this day and age to care about where something is made is pretty backward still....

Now if GM's line everywhere are as flexible as Toyota or Honda's, they can potentially crank these out anywhere. But that depends hugely on if they can source all the stuff locally still, if they still have to ship parts from Europe and assemble the car in US, it might just make even less sense economically....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Indded, I don't think quality cannot be measured according to the nationality of the guy down at the assembly line, anymore.

Question: You know how some carmakers (VW, Benz etc) are building cars in China only for the Chinese market? Can anyone confirm a difference in quality between them and those built for the Occidental market? I wonder if a Chinese benz is actually noticeably any different, quality-wise. [I'm assuming they are same or similar spec].

the USA should by now have become aware of globalisation. A sticker saying this car was made "on earth" should be sufficient.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Typical protectionist BS

Wasnt aware of the AALA thing and reading what it does made me smile ...
    "must have labels specifying their percentage value of U.S./Canadian parts content,"
    NOT wanting to put anyone group down BUT so few people actually UNDERSTAND percentages I'm not sure the average reader woudl ahve been able to use the info sensibly anyway
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-15-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If the suspension has been softened, the gearbox is an automatic and the engine is a large unit, I don't know how that makes it any less american...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

We received Volkswagen Polo Sedans made in China. The quality difference wasn't noticeable.

Having said that we've been receiving our Germans cars (Golfs, 3 Series, etc) From South Africa for a while now.

It's got little to do with the country of origin of the manufacturer anymore. Hell, Challengers are made in Ontario, Suburbans in Mexico...
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the USA should by now have become aware of globalisation. A sticker saying this car was made "on earth" should be sufficient.
    You'd think so... but keep in mind the uncomfortably large portion of our population convinced otherwise.

Placing a "Made On Earth" sticker would REALLY freak out the protectionist crazies. Not to mention Glenn Beck.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Hell, Challengers are made in Ontario
    So are Camaros!

Canada makes 2/3rds of the current pony cars! Woo!

I used to frequently pass Brampton Assembly and see a multitude of 300s, Challengers, and Chargers.

I should go have a look out there next time I am at my cousin's.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Not to mention Glenn Beck.
    yes, no sticker "made in the USA" is required for him. It is too obvious.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Typical protectionist BS

Wasnt aware of the AALA thing and reading what it does made me smile ...
    "must have labels specifying their percentage value of U.S./Canadian parts content,"
    NOT wanting to put anyone group down BUT so few people actually UNDERSTAND percentages I'm not sure the average reader woudl ahve been able to use the info sensibly anyway

You think thats f-ed up, just wait til you hear about "minority sourcing".....

The PC BS is getting out of hand too....

I know companies like VW and Buick makes their old generation car in China for Chinese market consumption....But I think that is also to keep in mind as Chinese are prone to clone whatever they are making....The first thing we learn to deal with Chinese OEs are not to give them anything they don't need....I saw a BYD for the first time in the NAIAS and it was an exact looking clone of a Corolla...down to the label of interior switches....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think I missed potentially the original purpose of the labelling -- especially if it lists percentage suspension/chassis ....

Clearly "Made in USA" is actually a SAFETY requirment in that case so the owner knows to take corners .... VERY SLOWLY ....

sorry guys couldn't resist ... PC BS always brings out the funny side in me
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Funny you say that, on the Audi R8 GT I saw at the show a huge "Made In Germany" label was on the brake disc carrier for the car...just in case the owner who buys a 200k Audi doesn't know where his car was made....

I guess it is a R8, it might have Italian made Gallardo pieces in it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Funny you say that, on the Audi R8 GT I saw at the show a huge "Made In Germany" label was on the brake disc carrier for the car...just in case the owner who buys a 200k Audi doesn't know where his car was made....

in the meantime the TT is made in Hungary....

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I think it's the other way round.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information