Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Text Messaging Car Accident

Text Messaging Car Accident

Public service massage is way to graphic.

Video - Text Messaging Car Accident

here are the facts.

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Texting Statistics

•Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
    •Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
    •56% of teenagers admit to talking on their cell phones behind the wheel, while 13% admit to texting while driving. (Note: Because this information was given voluntarily by teens, actual cell phone use numbers may be much higher.)
    •48% of young Americans from 12-17 say they've been in a car while the driver was texting.
    •52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers confess to making and answering cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving.
    •In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
    •Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
    •Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
    •Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
    •Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
    •Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident Information for All Drivers

•Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
    •One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
    •In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
    •At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
    •4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
    •Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
    •People who text while driving are 23% more likely to be in a car accident.
    •A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73% talk on cell phones while driving. The same 2007 survey found that 19% of motorists say they text message while driving.
    •In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 10% of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
    •A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
    •In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
    •According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18% slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17% longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked
    •Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85% said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30% use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27% use them during half or more of the trips they take.
    •84% of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
    •The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
    •The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
    •Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

BFGoodrich tires
    Bridgestone tires
    Continental tires
    Cooper Tires
    Dunlop tires
    Firestone tires
    Fuzion tires
    General tires
    Goodyear tires
    Hankook tires
    Hoosier tires
    Kumho tires
    Michelin tires
    Pirelli tires
    Sumitomo tires
    Uniroyal tires
    Yokohama tires
    All brand Wheels from Discount Part Center
    Tire reviews, news, and test results
    Tire information
    Tire Calculator and Comparator
    All brand Springs, Shocks, and Suspension at Discount Part Center
    Tires
    All brand brake, pads, and rotors, at Discount Part Center
    Radio Controlled RC Cars, RC Planes, RC Boats, RC Motorcycle, RC Robots, and other Radio Controlled hobby Videos

Study Reveals the Dangers of Texting While Driving
    The following statistics come from a study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI):
    Last edited by gary0006; 03-20-2013 at 12:33 AM.

i hate people who text and drive. i feel like in recent years, the number of rear end collisions has gone up because people are texting and driving.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Hands-free Bluetooth needs to be incorporated more. Its obvious people (not just teens) have to just pick up that phone.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    Hands-free Bluetooth needs to be incorporated more. Its obvious people (not just teens) have to just pick up that phone.
    talking to somebody not in the car also distracts. The person you are speaking with has no opportunity to see what you are doing, and when it is the right moment to shut up.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    talking to somebody not in the car also distracts. The person you are speaking with has no opportunity to see what you are doing, and when it is the right moment to shut up.
    I don't get why it's that much bigger of a problem than talking to somebody in the car. I have people in the car keep talking when I'm trying to concentrate, occasionally even screaming. I'd rather ignore someone on the phone for a second then ask them to repeat themselves than deal with high pitched screaming.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I just ride a motorbike. Much more peaceful.... until someone texting changes lanes without looking.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

The NZ government has made it illegal for people to use mobile phones and drive at the same time, unless it's securely mounted somewhere (like a GPS), or if it's using a bluetooth handset... I think.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    The NZ government has made it illegal for people to use mobile phones and drive at the same time, unless it's securely mounted somewhere (like a GPS), or if it's using a bluetooth handset... I think.
    They just did that in washington state, but I still see people holding a phone to their ear all the time, and texting a lot more often than I'd like. I don't get how anyone could text and drive.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

My three year old daughter was nearly run down right in front of me last fall by a texting driver. It changed me but I don’t hate texting. The way I see it, that would be like hating nightfall – its coming no matter what. 72% of teens text every single day - some over 3000 times a month. The texting drivers I spoke with, including teens and truckers, all said that laws and Big Brother type software devices that "lock down" their phones would not deter them at all. They feel their civil liberties slipping away. So I built a tool called OTTER for the individual to help manage their texting on their terms.

OTTER is a comprehensive text management system for the home, office and certainly, the highway. It has GPS based Parental Control Feature for teen drivers, a GPS Mode for adult who choose to use it and an Auto reply with unlimited customized responses. We are getting 4.5 to 5 star rating from the tech community and great response from teen groups and safety organizations. We have heard of teens using OTTER to schedule their own "texting blackout periods" so they can get some homework done without feeling disconnected from their social network. If a teen uses OTTER like this, then we think they will see the benefit of OTTER's road safety features. We are not going to stop until change hits our roads and not just our laws. Please give us your feedback.

Best,
    Erik Wood, owner
    OTTER LLC
    Otter - One Touch Text Response
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_yS0V21CFg]YouTube - OTTER on Fox News[/ame]

That's why manual gearboxes are a safety features. You have to change gears while you drive and therefore can't do anything else other than driving.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's why manual gearboxes are a safety features. You have to change gears while you drive and therefore can't do anything else other than driving.
    I've seen someone eating and holding a phone to her ear while going through an intersection (yes, this meant no hands on the wheel.) I'm thinking a manual won't really change retardedness.
    Big cities suck

Well maybe it won't change retardedness, but since you need your hands to actually change gear you can't eat or phone anyone or anything really. Also, when driving a manual you've got pay attention in order to not stall the car or kill the engine because you are in the wrong gear.

Yes, it wouldn't solve all the problems, those are in the drivers in the first place, but I think it does help a bit.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Education is the only chace to get drivers to realise they are in charge of a lethal weapon and should act accordingly.

Thus why more and more British ads pop up pulling NO punches like these - google think! . Lots of examples now popping up all over the world as the original ones made a difference - the biker ones always made me cringe and applaud
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsHL30Z60kg]YouTube - Think! -Road Safety Commercial[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVBfMMMUsGs]YouTube - British safe driving commercial[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsJs4AYa8sU]YouTube - Think! Road Safety Moving Commercial[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNxcysLlhA]YouTube - Scary British Car Commercial[/ame]
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

From what ive seen with the no texting and driving laws, drivers used to text with their hand right next to the steering wheel which allowed them to switch their eyes back and forth from the road to the screen. Now with the laws in place, people keep their cell phones in their lap or well below the angle of the road and completely take theirs eyes off the road for seconds at a time. Laws like the no texting and driving which still allows users to text from their phone will never keep people from texting while driving TWD.

Most phones these days have some sort of gps/cell phone triangulation to determine your approximate location. I think that to stop the TWD, a device must be built into the phone that when it has covered a certain distance, or can be determined that it has been moving, the text feature on the phone shuts off.

Yes it would inconvenience other passengers, but if it keeps them safe as well its a price worth paying. Navigation systems already have this feature (some) that shut off user inputs to change location or what not, cell phones should be next. Driving is not a right, its a privilege.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Texting while driving and talking on your mobile phone while driving should be illegal in every country. It seems like the laws in relation to this vary from country to country (and from state to state).
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information