View Poll Results: what car was the first to have these safety features?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • VW Jetta

0 0%
  • Mecedes S class

14 82.35%
  • Cadillac CTS

0 0%
  • BMW 3 series

2 11.76%
  • Audi A4

0 0%
  • Lincoln Continental

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what car was the first?

what car was the first?

what was the first production car to have the following:

electronic anti lock breaks
    airbags
    3 point safety belt
    satellite navigation

yes, there was one car that did it all first. what was it?

The 1st to have all 4 in one car? Or the first for all of them but over different years?
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

the same car had all of those before any other production car

I'm waiting to here the answer and also waiting to call BS when I do

Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDi.

EDIT: Though the Contie did have a stupendous safety record...
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 04-28-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Well since the Old's Toronado was the first car with airbags for sale to the public and it isn't on the list I'm going to vote none.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Well since the Old's Toronado was the first car with airbags for sale to the public and it isn't on the list I'm going to vote none.
    sorry, you're wrong.

In 1981, Mercedes-Benz introduced the airbag in Germany as an option on its high-end S-Class (W126). In the Mercedes system, the sensors would automatically pre-tension the seat belts to reduce occupant's motion on impact (now a common feature), and then deploy the airbag on impact. This integrated the seat belts and airbag into a restraint system, rather than the airbag being considered an alternative to the seat belt.

Numerous technological innovations have been introduced on Mercedes-Benz automobiles throughout the many years of their production, including:
    The internal combustion engined automobile was developed independently by Benz and Daimler & Maybach in 1886
    Daimler invented the honeycomb radiator of the type still used on all water-cooled vehicles today
    Daimler invented the float carburetor which was used until replaced by fuel injection
    The "drop chassis"—the car originally designated the "Mercedes" by Daimler was also the first car with a modern configuration, having the carriage lowered and set between the front and rear wheels, with a front engine and powered rear wheels. All earlier cars were "horseless carriages", which had high centres of gravity and various engine/drive-train configurations
    The first passenger road car to have brakes on all four wheels (1924)[57]
    The "safety cage" or "safety cell" construction with front and rear crumple zones was first developed by Mercedes-Benz in 1951. This is considered by many as the most important innovation in automobile construction from a safety standpoint[58][verification needed]
    In 1959, Mercedes-Benz patented a device that prevents drive wheels from spinning by intervening at the engine, transmission, or brakes. In 1987, Mercedes-Benz applied its patent by introducing a traction control system that worked under both braking and acceleration
    Traction control and airbags in the European market, were Mercedes-Benz innovations.[citation needed] These technologies were introduced in 1986, and 1980 respectively
    Mercedes-Benz was the first to introduce pre-tensioners to seat belts on the 1981 S-Class. In the event of a crash, a pre-tensioner will tighten the belt instantaneously, removing any 'slack' in the belt, which prevents the occupant from jerking forward in a crash
    In September 2003, Mercedes-Benz introduced the world's first seven-speed automatic transmission called '7G-Tronic'
    Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), brake assist,[59] and many other types of safety equipment were all developed, tested, and implemented into passenger cars—first—by Mercedes-Benz. Mercedes-Benz has not made a large fuss about its innovations, and has even licensed them for use by competitors—in the name of improving automobile and passenger safety. As a result, crumple zones and anti-lock brakes (ABS) are now standard on all modern vehicles.[58][verification needed]

Mercedes M156 engine
    The most powerful naturally aspirated eight cylinder engine in the world is the Mercedes-AMG, 6208 cc M156 V8 engine at 85 PS per litre. The V8 engine is badged '63 AMG', and replaced the '55 AMG' M113 engine in most models. The M156 engine produces up to 391 kW (532 PS; 524 bhp), and although some models using this engine do have this output (such as the S63 and CL63 AMGs), specific output varies slightly across other models in the range[60]
    The (W211) E320 CDI which has a variable geometry turbocharger (VTG) 2.8 litre V6 common rail diesel engine (producing 224-horsepower), set three world endurance records. It covered 100,000 miles (160,000 km) in a record time, with an average speed of 224.823 kilometres per hour (139.70 mph). Three identical cars did the endurance run (one set above record) and the other two cars set world records for time taken to cover 100,000 kilometres (62,137 mi) and 50,000 miles (80,000 km) respectively. After all three cars had completed the run, their combined distance was 300,000 miles (480,000 km) (all records were FIA approved).[61]
    Mercedes-Benz pioneered a system called Pre-Safe to detect an imminent crash—and prepares the car's safety systems to respond optimally. It also calculates the optimal braking force required to avoid an accident in emergency situations, and makes it immediately available for when the driver depresses the brake pedal. Occupants are also prepared by tightening the seat belt, closing the sunroof and windows, and moving the seats into the optimal position.
    Half a century of vehicle safety innovation helped win Mercedes-Benz the Safety Award at the 2007 What car? Award

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    sorry, you're wrong.

In 1981, Mercedes-Benz introduced the airbag in Germany as an option on its high-end S-Class (W126). In the Mercedes system, the sensors would automatically pre-tension the seat belts to reduce occupant's motion on impact (now a common feature), and then deploy the airbag on impact. This integrated the seat belts and airbag into a restraint system, rather than the airbag being considered an alternative to the seat belt.
    No, you are wrong. The 1973 Toronado was the first car for sale with an airbag.
    The History of Airbags

The Volvo PV 544 was the first car with a 3 point belt.

I'm not sure what your question was meant to ask but for all the things the S-class did introduce, it was not the first with 3-point belts or airbags. Certianly the 1981 was not the first with 3 point belts. We had 3 point belts in a '78 Ford truck.

FastDriver,
    Please do not copy paste other's work. That is a copyright violation and generally not good form.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    FastDriver,
    Please do not copy paste other's work. That is a copyright violation and generally not good form.
    I didn't copy anyones work. everything i posted was quoted directly from wikipedia, which isn't actually copywrited to begin with...

Airbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is the link. Yes the united states made some failed attempts at the airbag, but the Mercedes S class implimented the first suplimental restraint system. The united states version of the airbag as you can read ended with 7 known fatalities suspected to be caused by the airbag.

you were close, though that car wasn't on the list. I think the overwhelming vote for the Mercedes S class proves it to be the winner in having the first practical airbag system.

The 1973, Oldsmobile Toronado was the first car with a passenger air bag intended for sale to the public.
    whelp, can't argue with that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I didn't copy anyones work. everything i posted was quoted directly from wikipedia, which isn't actually copywrited to begin with...

Airbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is the link. Yes the united states made some failed attempts at the airbag, but the Mercedes S class implimented the first suplimental restraint system. The united states version of the airbag as you can read ended with 7 known fatalities suspected to be caused by the airbag.

you were close, though that car wasn't on the list. I think the overwhelming vote for the Mercedes S class proves it to be the winner in having the first practical airbag system.
    Your new here so we will forgive you for being wrong. You asked which car was first with airbags... that would be the Oldsmobile. You asked which was first with 3 point belts. That would be Volvo. I suspect you are also wrong about ABS. The question is what qualifies as "electronic" ABS. Both GM and I think Jenson had ABS before the 1980s.

The overwhelming vote proves nothing since this isn't a polularity contest. Even though the wiki entry isn't copyrighted it is against forum rules, you did read them when you just signed up right, to post work of others as your own without citations or links. You didn't do that.

Please don't act like a 15 year old on the computer. That is a poor way to be part of the community here.

well i think you misunderstood, but that is ok. The question was for which car model was to be the first for each of those safety features. The Mercedes was the only one that qualified from the choices. You were right about the volvo but the Mercedes was the first to have the 3 point BIS (belt in seat) instead of the belt being attached to the B piller.

anyway it was just supposed to be a fun little quiz, not to be turned into a serious matter. so I am not going to argue with you about it.

well i think you misunderstood, but that is ok. The question was for which car model was to be the first for each of those safety features. The Mercedes was the only one that qualified from the choices. You were right about the volvo but the Mercedes was the first to have the 3 point BIS (belt in seat) instead of the belt being attached to the B piller.

anyway it was just supposed to be a fun little quiz, not to be turned into a serious matter. so I am not going to argue with you about it.
    No, you didn't ask the question you wanted to ask. You didn't ask which was the first to have all 4. You asked which was the first to have an airbag. It wasn't the MB. You asked which was first to have 3 point belts. It wasn't the MB. If you wanted MB to be the answer you should have asked the correct question. We already had one newbe in love with random questions and poles. Please don't be another.

Thread Information