Thread: BMW V10 F1 engine

BMW V10 F1 engine

This is a paper written by BMW Motorsports, and presented at a German motor sport conference.

It outlines the history of their F1 involvement for the time the board decided to get back into F1 in 1997, through to the current V8.

http://sd-2.archive-host.com/membres...urs_BMW_F1.pdf
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I am surprised at the low Torque figures the engines produce at about 350NM. My car has more torque, though seriously down on power.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Torque generally stays pretty constant with displacement. Unless you go forced induction, its pretty hard getting more than 100nm/L. Production cars are starting to achieve that now, but thats also using technologies banned in F1.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    I am surprised at the low Torque figures the engines produce at about 350NM. My car has more torque, though seriously down on power.
    obviously the lack of a torque output to match their HP level isnt making them slow

it makes a mockery of the sub 10'000 rpm "wisdom" that torque wins races

the most incredible thing about a F1 engine isnt their respective power levels, but their savage throttle reponse & willingness to accelerate thru the rev band

its what sets them apart

For a 3 liter normally aspirated engine, 350nm is nothing to sneer at....

For a displacement limited formula like F1, the more power you can squeeze out the better, but given the freedom of otherwise, you always go to the biggest engine you can....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thank you for blowing what's left of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    This is a paper written by BMW Motorsports, and presented at a German motor sport conference.

It outlines the history of their F1 involvement for the time the board decided to get back into F1 in 1997, through to the current V8.

http://sd-2.archive-host.com/membres/up/10237196789579146/moteurs_BMW partsF1.pdf
    mind blowing document. still its worth reading if you are a fan of bmw like me. a very nice thing to read while in the office. i just wonder why BMW is revealing this kind of documents to public.
    Last edited by b.carson; 11-24-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Re:

Good one.Keep it up.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    obviously the lack of a torque output to match their HP level isnt making them slow

it makes a mockery of the sub 10'000 rpm "wisdom" that torque wins races

the most incredible thing about a F1 engine isnt their respective power levels, but their savage throttle reponse & willingness to accelerate thru the rev band

its what sets them apart
    Its interesting you should say that because every single car needs torque, and the faster it goes the more you need. Formula 1 engines simply take very small, lightweight motors, that have their awesome throttle response and speed, and use the transmission and final drive to multiply what little torque their is at the wheels. No matter, torque is what moves the car. Im sure if we did extensive maths we could take a formula 1 car and a 6 second drag racer and figure out that they produce very similar amounts of torque at the wheels. Maybe.

That is quite an article. It is very detailed, if a little long. Thank you for sharing. Can you find similar articles for other manufacturers as well?
    Last edited by Magnum9987; 12-02-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information