Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maserati Khamsin (AM120) 1972-1982

Maserati Khamsin (AM120) 1972-1982

The Maserati Khamsin (Tipo AM120) is a grand tourer produced by Maserati between 1974 and 1982. The Khamsin had no direct successor, with Maserati not making another V8 grand tourer until the 1990 launch of the Shamal. Following Maserati's tradition it was named after a wind: the Khamsin, a hot, violent gust blowing in the Egyptian desert for fifty days a year.

History
    The Khamsin was introduced on the Bertone stand at the November 1972 Turin Auto Show. Designed by Marcello Gandini, it was Bertone's first work for Maserati. In March 1973 the production model was shown at the Paris Motor Show. Regular production of the vehicle started only a year later, in 1974. The Khamsin was developed under Citroën's ownership for a clientele that demanded a front-engined grand tourer on the lines of the previous Ghibli, a more conventional proposition than the mid-engined Bora. In 1977 a mild facelift added three horizontal slats on the Khamsin's nose to aid cooling. Inside it brought a restyled dashboard and a new padded steering wheel. One Khamsin was delivered to Luciano Benetton in 1981. Despite the many improvements over its predecessor, the Khamsin did not replicate its success, partly due to the ongoing fuel crisis that reduced demand for large-engined grand tourers. Production ended in 1982, with 435 vehicles made, 155 of which had been exported to the United States - barely a third of the Ghibli's production total of 1295.

Desgn
    The Khamsin's body is prominently wedge-shaped, with a fastback roofline and kammback rear end. The tail is characterized by a full-width glass rear panel, carrying inset "floating" tail lights. Combined with the wide, almost all-glass rear hatch this gave exceptional rear visibility in comparison to most cars, especially similar sports cars. Cosmetic triangular vented panels are inlaid in the C-pillar, with the right-hand one hiding the fuel filler cap. Another distinguishing feature is the engine bonnet, pierced by asymmetrical vents. Design features as the wedge body, glazed tail panel and the location of the fuel filler cap all carry Gandini's signature, as they were all present on his earlier Lamborghini Espada. Despite being marketed as a 2+2, the leather-trimmed rear seats, nestled between the two fuel tanks, were found too lacking in headroom and legroom to be usable. The complete instrumentation included gauges for speedometer, tachometer, water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, voltmeter and a clock.

Specifications
    The Khamsin used an all-steel monocoque construction, with a rear Silentbloc-bushing insulated tubular subframe supporting the rear suspension and differential. Suspension was double wishbones all around - a major improvement over the Ghibli's leaf-sprung solid axle - with coaxial springs and shock absorbers (single upfront, double at the rear) and anti-roll bars. he front-mid mounted engine gave the car a 50/50 weight distribution; it was pushed so far back towards the firewall that the full size spare tire could be stored beneath the radiator in front of it, thus freeing up space in the boot. Apart from the adoption of Bosch electronic ignition, Maserati's 4.9 L (4,930 cc) DOHC, 16-valve V8 engine was carried over from the Ghibli SS and delivered 240 kW (330 PS; 320 bhp) at 5500 rpm and 482.0 N⋅m (355.5 lb⋅ft) of torque at 4000 rpm. It was fed through four double barrel 42 DCNF 41 Weber carburettors and used dry-sump lubrication. As on the Ghibli the fuel tanks were two, but not of similar size. A small tank is on the right and it is connected to the main tank below the cargo floor, with a single fuel filler on the right hand side feeding directly the small tank. The double exhaust system ended with two resonators, each with twin exhaust tips. Power was routed to the rear wheels through a 5-speed, all syncromesh ZF manual gearbox with a single-plate dry clutch; a 3-speed Borg Warner automatic transmission was also available on request. Khamsins rode on 215/70 Michelin XWX tyres on 7½J 15" Campagnolo alloy wheels.

Having been developed under the Citroën ownership, the Khamsin made large use of its high-pressure hydraulic systems. The power steering used the Citroën SM's DIRAVI speed-sensitive variable assistance, which made steering lighter for easier parking and decreased its intervention with speed. The all-round vented disc brakes and the clutch command were both hydraulically actuated and assisted. The adjustable seats and the pop-up headlights were also hydraulically actuated. An adjustable steering column (an innovative feature at the time), air conditioning, electric windows, a radio and full leather upholstery were standard. Maserati claimed a 270 km/h (170 mph) top speed for the European-specification model. The Citroën SM-derived power steering is not power "assisted", but rather full power with no mechanical connection between the steering wheel shaft and the steering linkage yoke attached to the power piston rod. Only if hydraulic pressure is lost will the mechanical pinion gear drive the rack gear, and that with significant free play at the steering wheel rim. In normal operation the rack gear, which is connected to the power piston rod, turns the pinion to give feedback to the power valve. This is exactly like the Citroën DS, though the mechanical arrangement is quite different. The power is the same at all speeds as the steering hydraulic pressure is supplied directly from the main pressure accumulator "sphere". A flyweight driven by the transmission output shaft controls the hydraulic pressure supplied to the piston of the steering shaft centring cylinder, which presses a roller against a heart-shaped cam geared 2:1 to the steering input shaft. In automatic transmission cars the pressure is tapped from the automatic transmission hydraulic pressure to a control valve, similarly to the setup on the Citroën SM. ATF and LHM (central hydraulic system fluid) do not mix, and are at quite different pressures. At standstill enough pressure is applied to recentre the steering. At high speeds (approximately 80 mph/130 kmh in the Citroën SM) the centring force is at maximum, which makes the steering wheel very strongly resistant to being turned by the driver ("stiff"). By this strategy the steering can be very quick (2 turns lock-to-lock in the Citroën SM), yet not sensitive to the "sneeze factor" at high speed.

Source: Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 11-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Maserati Khamsin #2

Glad to see you posting!
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Glad to see you posting!
    Thought I'd give it a go .

One more

Maserati Khamsin #3

I didn't know Maserati ever used Corvette engines.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I didn't know Maserati ever used Corvette engines.
    probably because they never did

Khamsin had 4DOHC V8 developed by Maserati...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    probably because they never did

Khamsin had 4DOHC V8 developed by Maserati...
    The one pictured above has a transplant?

DOHC V8 sounds about right.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The one pictured above has a transplant?

DOHC V8 sounds about right.
    Correct, the one I posted did.

talking about a transplant. This is a GT40
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maserati Khamsin #4

Production years: 1974-1982

Thanks for all the pics MoS and duell and eer'yone. This is quite a looker, bar that stupid -plastic front bumper.

You are welcome.

BUT I posted them in acceptable resolution only (1280x960) for Hide Out. I found the same pic's in 2048x1536, but I guess that is a downsize as well.

If anyone has them in full glory, please let me know :-) I love high-res studio pic's with black or white background. No distractions, just the car.

So I greatly admire the art of photographers like Ron Kimball, Rene Staud, Michael Zumbrunn and Michael Furmann.

Actually I ditched a lot of low-res pic's and concentrate on high-res studio pic's most of the time - they rock :-)

Cheers

Higher resolution pictures
    And Jay also drove this yellow Khamsin

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en0vS29sUF8"]1975 Maserati Khamsin - Jay Lenos Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Khamsin #004

Hello all,

My brother did the restoration on prototype number 4, the first road legal Khamsin. The production models that came on the market a few years later had several changes compared to the original. US-models are to be considered even much more different then the original.

Eventually the car is "revealed" by mister Ghandini and the oldest worker from Maserati, being present at the Khamsin Quaranta, June 2012.

More and higher quality pictures are available at our website, but I don't know if I'm allowed to put this in a public thread, so send me a personal message in case

Thread Information