Thread: BMW High Security

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BMW High Security

11 November 2003
    Armour-plated security comes to more BMW models

Expanding the range of special BMW Security vehicles offering protection from firearms attack, robbery, kidnap and car jacking, BMW today announces the introduction of X5 Security cars. The X5 Security joins 7 Series High Security and 3 Series Security vehicles, which have become the cars of choice for visiting heads of state, high profile business people and celebrities throughout the world.

From the exterior all BMW Security cars are almost identical to standard road cars bringing absolute discretion to owners. However appearances can be deceptive – and shocking for potential assailants – as all Security models are heavily armoured, featuring significant modifications like bullet-resistant, reinforced passenger cells, triple glazing and strengthened door joins.

All modifications are engineered into Security cars during production, a process reflected in the case of the 7 Series High Security by its unique engineering number – E67.

This creates a more comprehensive security package than post-production armouring (retrofitting) which can leave hollow cavities unsecured and cause unnecessary weight penalties. Even though all BMW Security cars are designed to provide the ultimate in protection from violent attack, they also boast similar performance and comfort to equivalent road cars.

X5 4.4i Security

The latest BMW Security vehicle, the X5 4.4i Security is particularly suited to remote areas or where roads are poorly maintained. In these conditions an

armoured Sports Activity Vehicle fitted with xDrive, BMW’s revolutionary four-wheel drive system, offers the perfect deterrent to the threat of ambush or attack.

Conforming to the independent weapons standard B4*, the X5 Security’s reinforced glass stops ammunition up to calibre .44 Magnum from breaching the glass. The glazing is approximately 20mm thick and coated in polycarbonate which acts as splinter protection for the passenger cell.

Door shuts, cable ducts and door joins in the B pillar are normally weaker areas of any car. To provide a completely secure passenger cell, these areas of the X5 Security are reinforced to ensure no munitions can penetrate. The entire reinforced passenger cell features sections supplemented by ballistic resistant steel capable of withstanding a .44 Magnum attack. Run-flat tyres allow the driver to travel safely up to 30 miles at speeds of 50 mph, even when punctured or deflated.

The X5 Security compromises neither performance nor interior comfort in its design. It comes with a V8 4.4-litre engine developing maximum output of 320 bhp at 6,100 rpm. Its 0-62 time of 7.6 seconds means that it is more than capable of leaving the scene of an incident quickly while its 130 mph top speed will leave any pursuers far behind.

330i Security

Like the X5 Security, the BMW 330i Security closely resembles the standard 330i road car. However its chassis has been extensively adapted to compensate for additional weight, with reinforced springs and dampers. This ensures that it is just as agile and safe to drive as the production version, and still boasts a top speed of 130 mph and 0-62 time of 7.3 seconds.

Conforming to the independent weapons standard B4, joins and gaps in the armoured body shell are reinforced with ballistic resistant steel and high-tech fibre material. Bullets or splinters are prevented from penetrating the interior even at gaps and overlapping points. In addition, a special fibre-reinforced mat in the underbody area of the passenger cell is available as an option, preventing bullet splinter penetration.

Common to both X5 and 330i Security cars is an intercom featuring ‘assault alarm’. Occupants are able to communicate with those outside the vehicle – at a road block for example - without opening a door or window via an internal microphone and loudspeakers incorporated into the exterior mirrors.

In the event of a hostile reception, occupants press a button to activate the assault alarm. This features a loud siren which wails intermittently for 30 seconds, complemented by flashing high-beam headlights and foglights.

7 Series High Security

BMW 7 Series High Security exceeds even the high levels of protection offered by BMW 330i Security and BMW X5 Security vehicles. Meeting the requirements of B6/B7 weapons standard, 760 Li and 745 Li High Security derivatives are able to withstand attack from explosives or bullets of the armour-piercing 7.62x54R API calibre – often used by terrorist organisations.

Standard underbody protection prevents grenade fragments from entering the passenger cell. Its effectiveness has been verified independently with hand grenades detonated simultaneously below the driver’s seat and the rear right seat.

Fibre-reinforced material and special steel elements are used as an additional measure against armour piercing munitions. The material prevents fragments and secondary projectiles from entering the passenger compartment and keeps their angle of dispersion as small as possible.

High Security 7 Series feature multi layer laminated triple glazing, with an internal polycarbonate layer. Its function is to protect passengers from glass fragments.

A host of additional features serve to protect occupants in the event of attack:

Emergency exit through front windscreen

Intercom system with additional ‘attack alarm’ function

Remote starting system

Fire-extinguishing system with temperature sensors

Emergency fresh-air system

Partially lowered windows

Automatic central locking when moving off

Ownership

Owners and chauffeurs of Security and High Security cars are offered special training programmes, helping them to understand and practice the requirements of car control in critical driving conditions. Vehicles can be serviced and repaired at selected BMW workshops or will be maintained by a worldwide operation crew. Parts supply is assured thanks to a dedicated worldwide logistics programme.

To ensure that these special vehicles do not make their way into the wrong hands, BMW offers a special ‘buy back’ service for Security cars which are up to seven years old. Following a thorough technical inspection at BMW’s Dingolfing Plant, they are either sold or go into BMW’s car pool. Cars from the Security car pool are then made available for potential customers throughout the world, at short notice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

Quote Originally Posted by junaman
    11 November 2003
    Armour-plated security comes to more BMW models

Expanding the range of special BMW Security vehicles offering protection from firearms attack, robbery, kidnap and car jacking, BMW today announces the introduction of X5 Security cars.
    Hurray, more protection for the gangsters, paint it black, including all the windows, three tons of organised crime on the road
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Hurray, more protection for the gangsters, paint it black, including all the windows, three tons of organised crime on the road
    no, more protection for rich people who live in mexico like taz or other similar places where there are thousands of kidnappings/car jackings.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

So what offers more protection, the Maybach's extra security package or the BMW's?

Those models sell very well here in Mexico becuase of the high rate of kidnappings.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Those models sell very well here in Mexico becuase of the high rate of kidnappings.
    I take it that they are being used as the get-away cars
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Anyone knows what is the price for a used 330i security 2004 model?

Thread Information