Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Buick Riveria still faster than new Corvettes!

1964 Buick Riveria still faster than new Corvettes!

With Chevrolet Corvettes 40+ years of a technological advantage, this individual made his stock '64 Riveria, with 425 cubic inch, dual quad, 360 gross horsepower "Wildcat" ready for modern competition!....Any ricers or Vette fans wanna race him?!

(Ok, I'm new here and have to get the comparison of old vs new out of my system. I have a memory stack of over 3k posts from this site crammed into my head within a few day period!)

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Well, at least with the 'vette I could race with my shopping..
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Well, at least with the 'vette I could race with my shopping..
    LOL ... At least the Riveria was (as in past tense "was") a luxury car, and probably had a functioning radio and globs of power that was explosive for the day. To be competitive today, I commend the "weight reduction" to prove a point! However, I'm sad to see such a car chopped up when it is perfect for a restoration project!

Ever seen a chop-mod '64/65 Riveria? Beautiful custom rods!
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-12-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

I'd rather be a little bit slower but far more stylish.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Oooh...please tell me that it was eventually welded back together or otherwise restored and now lives in a warm garage.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'd rather be a little bit slower but far more stylish.
    You have good taste, indeed! I am also a huge VW Bug fan but would also be one to admit most are "ugly" but if done right are nice little cars!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Oooh...please tell me that it was eventually welded back together or otherwise restored and now lives in a warm garage.
    I looked at the picture and didn't even find rust in the rocker panels, or any hint of a wreck in that straight body. It is sad!

1965 Buick Riviera - Chopped 425 Nailhead-Powered Factory Custom Car - Hot Rod Magazine

Now that is one smoking hot '65 Riviera! Even though I prefer keeping classics mostly stock in appearance, some mods look wonderful such as in that example!

Shame about the silly, shiny, stupid big wheels.
    Visca Catalunya!

The '65 Buick Riviera GS is probably my favorite American car of all time; there is not much that needs improving. (Except mileage, safety, handling, speed, steering feel, three-speed auto ...)
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Shame about the silly, shiny, stupid big wheels.
    I don't get 22" inch wheels on an early '80s car someone picked up for 300 bucks either! What about that late 80s/early 90s fad to put tiny wide rims on a car? The wheels stuck out nearly a foot from the wheel well lip?! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The '65 Buick Riviera GS is probably my favorite American car of all time; there is not much that needs improving. (Except mileage, safety, handling, speed, steering feel, three-speed auto ...)
    Sweet! I even like the original wheels. (The "five star" type. Sorry for not knowing the name but I've always liked them. Plymouth, Dodge and Ford all had a variation of 'em. I believe Ford called their version Mag 500s.)

I just wish my step-dad was here online. He owned that year model and a '69. He worked in the oil field and guess what his ex-wife did to him, while he was stationed in Iran back in 1979? She sold it! He came home to no car, his credit cards maxed out and was handed divorce papers! It was a good thing he still had his '72 Chevy Suburban! (Man, I loved that thing! We called it "the tank!"...On a road trip you didn't need to stay at a motel as it was a motel on wheels!)
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.

A balanced wheel is the best, in both looks and performance. It's better to leave it to the car makers engineers who have put a lot of hours into it, instead of trying to experiment yourself and generally ruining everything.

Altough this days you can have you car ruined from the factory with the preposterous Sports packs...
    Visca Catalunya!

Given the '80s resurgence in pop culture and to a lesser extent in the car, I hope to see some truly-nutty wheels offered from the factory again like these favorites of mine:

Reinventing the Wheel - a gallery on Flickr
    (not my flickr, our tastes just happen to align.)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    Sweet! I even like the original wheels. (The "five star" type. Sorry for not knowing the name but I've always liked them. Plymouth, Dodge and Ford all had a variation of 'em. I believe Ford called their version Mag 500s.)
    Cool! Which engine did your step dad have? I think those wheels were called "Rallye Sports" but I'm not sure. I think the word "Rally" or "Rallye" was involved.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    So true! I am not a fan of the old-school brakes or body roll going around corners; but I love the car's inherent aesthetic beauty!....And at todays gas prices the average joe could barely afford to drive one!

My current ride is a 1989 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton, and with 4.10 gears I get 10 mpg. I pretty much do not drive it anywhere! It probably explains why it only has 132k miles too! :-p

Off-topic: I've also owned a 1989 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton with the 4.3 V6. At least it got 17 mpg on the highway! It wasn't as powerful but I towed my step-dads '62 Porsche 356 from Ohio to Texas back in Feb. 2002 with relative ease.
    Last edited by NorTex; 11-13-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Thread Information