Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best American Super Car

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I thought they also produced some Mustang derivatives, but that the whole company went bust a couple of years ago.
    sorry, yes the Saleen mustangs are a dime a dozen out there. I had completely forgotten about them. I assumed we were still talking about the S7. I'm unsure if Saleen went under or not. The last I remember seeing from them was their revised version of the '05 Mustang body style when it first came out. For what its worth, that was actually quite nice.

Chrysler PT Cruiser.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Factory Five GTM. If the car really matches the performance claims, it should be totally bonkers.
    Otherwise, I'd say Dodge Viper ACR because of it's track abilities.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Can the AC Cobra and Ford GT40 be counted as true American Super Cars!?.
    Both chassis are developed in England, and "just" mounted with an American engine.

If i where to chose a "100%" American Super Car i would chose the original Viper! (Mostly because of it's Le Mans domination)

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    The Ford GT, although not as balls-to-the-walls as the Corvette, was a limited production car that was completely original albeit based on a 60's Le Mans racecar, and not just a corvette on steroids.
    Limited to over 5.000 units iirc...
    There are more exclusive Mustangs put there
    Well done Ford!

JK, I for some reason like the GT, even if I was quite unimpressed when I saw one (in Gulf livery).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I really love the Saleen but the question was what's the best not what's your favorite so i have to say the Ford GT. Reasons being like what everyone else stated. Low production, heritage, sufficient power, heritage, great modern take on a retro design, and heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Its not hard to steal the show by squeezing massive power out of an engine and shoe-horning it into the same car that every other guy going through a midlife crisis already owns. That's where the credentials debate comes back into play. Can you call it a supercar?

The Ford GT, although not as balls-to-the-walls as the Corvette, was a limited production car that was completely original albeit based on a 60's Le Mans racecar, and not just a corvette on steroids. It may have a muscle car heartbeat, but the fact that it was truly such a special production car makes it far more worthy of supercar status than the Über vette. So the corvette has power, but what is power if its not joined by exclusivity and wow factor? I'm sure there's civis out there with 700 horsepower too. There's nothing super about them though.
    While I think a great deal of the Corvette, this is basically how I feel as well. Just as, no mater how good a 911 GT2 RS might be, I still see it as another 911, I see the ZR-1 as another Corvette; a very good one with great technology but a Corvette and thus it shares some of it's heart and sole with a great $50k car.

The Ford GT was a great stand alone car. Yes, the motor wasn't truly unique to the car as it was based on the Ford family V8. The V8, wasn't just a truck V8 as I believe it was the only 5.4L alloy block motor in a production Ford at the time. Anyway, while the ZR1 is a truly impressive car, it's just a range topping Vette. The 911 GT2 RS is a range topping 911. It seems to be just a bit more special when the bottom of the range is still in the exotic world as is the case with the GT.

The SSC thing. Because AFAIK it's the only contemporary american supercar (except for even smaller manufacturers).

The ZR1 is just a (very fast) sportscar.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The SSC thing. Because AFAIK it's the only contemporary american supercar (except for even smaller manufacturers).
    And unfortunately it's a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    While I think a great deal of the Corvette, this is basically how I feel as well. Just as, no mater how good a 911 GT2 RS might be, I still see it as another 911, I see the ZR-1 as another Corvette; a very good one with great technology but a Corvette and thus it shares some of it's heart and sole with a great $50k car.

The Ford GT was a great stand alone car. Yes, the motor wasn't truly unique to the car as it was based on the Ford family V8. The V8, wasn't just a truck V8 as I believe it was the only 5.4L alloy block motor in a production Ford at the time. Anyway, while the ZR1 is a truly impressive car, it's just a range topping Vette. The 911 GT2 RS is a range topping 911. It seems to be just a bit more special when the bottom of the range is still in the exotic world as is the case with the GT.
    Except the 911 GT2 RS is even more exclusive, faster on the track, and, its a Porsche.

Actually, the GT used the same iron block used in the f150. Plus the supercharger and aluminum heads.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Actually, the GT used the same iron block used in the f150. Plus the supercharger and aluminum heads.
    The source of all knowledge (here too), the source of all car knowledge, and the database of car specifications disagree; it was an aluminum block.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Limited to over 5.000 units iirc...
    There are more exclusive Mustangs put there
    Well done Ford!

JK, I for some reason like the GT, even if I was quite unimpressed when I saw one (in Gulf livery).
    At least they made enough for a handfull of us to potentially have a go at owning one in the future . Its uncommon, but not stupidly rare. Still loads more exciting than any given limited production Mustang in my eyes.

Corvette is no supercar, and either the Viper. The performance is there, but that doesn't define them as supercars. The Shelby SSC, the Saleen, and Ford GT might all be defined as supercars. The Ford GT would maybe be questioned as well, but not in my mind.
    the best american super car must be the original Ford GT(40) street car. Only two was made, but still.

As I heard that the new Ford GT and Saleen S7 are supercar which in production. its cost and performance both is good...

Have to go with either the ACR or the Ford GT. I mean, they both have legacy and heritage, whereas no matter how much I love the brutal performance of the S7 it seems too passive.

Thread Information