Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Premium cars: then and now

FD how can you compare a specific Golf model to a BMW 1 Series, the BMW 130i would be a better comparison, although that’s not a very good one. How can you say the Golf is better because it is more specked out, that’s probable because it’s a GTI (I’m not saying all GTI's are better kited out because that’s not always the case) and how can you say the Golf is better because it's more practical, in that case MPV's are the best. You buy both cars for different reasons, like personal preference.

There are some people who just buy BMW's one after the other, why? well they love BMW's, so some people will buy the 1 Series because they want a BMW.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    FD how can you compare a specific Golf model to a BMW 1 Series, the BMW 130i would be a better comparison, although that’s not a very good one. How can you say the Golf is better because it is more specked out, that’s probable because it’s a GTI (I’m not saying all GTI's are better kited out because that’s not always the case) and how can you say the Golf is better because it's more practical, in that case MPV's are the best. You buy both cars for different reasons, like personal preference.

There are some people who just buy BMW's one after the other, why? well they love BMW's, so some people will buy the 1 Series because they want a BMW.
    That is what i was saying in a previous post, you are paying for the badge. But ya know, these are all based on preference. I owned a BMW 525I before I deployed to Iraq, I sold it. We could all argue till we die of old age, but it isn't going to get us anywhere.

I don't know if anyone on here watches the tv show Top Gear, It is on the BBC network, but even those three guys rarely can agree which car is best, and there are only 3 of them. so im sure on here many people dsagree and that satisfactory to me. I was only basing my choice of the GTI on getting more interior space for the money. It is still a small hatch, looks better than the 130i in my opinion, and costs much less, so its a win win win situation.

But with all that said, I wouldn't buy either. I did have an 88 subaru Justy back in the day, an It was fun to drive, but I would never buy another hatch like that. I have a family and a 4 door Ford F250 turbo diesle is much more practical

Never heard of Top Gear.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Never heard of Top Gear.
    It was an old racing game on the late SNES

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    actually the new gti is faster than the old s2 gti, it a lot better then the previous series finally! but I do like the simplicity of the S2
    So it should with an engine that is 200ccs bigger and has a turbocharger. I doubt it is quite as fun as the old Mk II, though.
    no, i haven't had any desire to drive either, but i did read reviews on them both, and the VW just has more space and just as much power and handles great, according to the review. I mean I saw how much room was in the back seats of both, so I can say it is more practical to get the VW. That is all I'm saying. Im sure there are people who like the BMW better, if that wasn't the case, then they wouldn't have sold any, but they did. So i am not saying it is completely useless. But look at the size of the boot and the back seats, wiith comparable performance, the VW just makes sence. I don't need to drive it to find that out, because I wouldn't drive a 1 series, if i just wanted a car that was fun to drive. I would get an roadster.
    I've been in the front left seat of both, sort of. I've driven a BMW 118d for three years and I've also had the oportunity to test an Audi A3 2.0 TDI SB (or what effectively is a Golf V). And yes the Audi was indeed bigger inside with a bigger a boot and the fit and finish was probably a bit better.

But if you are rally interested in driving there's no contest but to go for the BMW. The Audi could only dream of having such a sublime chasis and enjoyable handling. Not to mention the NVH problems of the old PD diesel enignes, which have been somewhat improved by the CRs, but still aren't as refined as the BMW unit.
    That is what i was saying in a previous post, you are paying for the badge.
    In the Golf? Certainly. Buy yourself a Leon FR and you are saving yourself a fortune for what basically is the same car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

drove a 130i back to back with a MK V gti.. for a driver, the 130i is by far the better option.
    drove an APR tuned gti not long after, levelled the playing field some
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

touche!

As noted already, please God ... do NOT use Top Gear for any realistic comaprisons.
    It's an ENTERTAINMENT show

"GTi faster" ...... we think of different terms of "speed" in our cars
    I dont care aobut top speed, or even a lot of the time how quickly it gets to there from zero. I DO care about cornering, handling and braking. The modern GTi went on a weight spree and then had to chase power to try to get some of the performance numbers back. Weight == shit at a corner
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    As noted already, please God ... do NOT use Top Gear for any realistic comaprisons.
    It's an ENTERTAINMENT show

"GTi faster" ...... we think of different terms of "speed" in our cars
    I dont care aobut top speed, or even a lot of the time how quickly it gets to there from zero. I DO care about cornering, handling and braking. The modern GTi went on a weight spree and then had to chase power to try to get some of the performance numbers back. Weight == shit at a corner
    Yes, I agree. Rarely can you take any of their car reviews very seriously. Those guys are a riot to watch, all they do is bash each other and break stuff. Fun times, but just because manufactureres give them pretty much every new car to test out, doesnt mean they are going to give a legitimate revew. They aren't car experts, they are just like anyone else who tests out a car and they tell you what they like about it an what they don't like about it and you can come to your own conclusion as to weather the traits that they inform us about are actually important to us or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the Golf? Certainly. Buy yourself a Leon FR and you are saving yourself a fortune for what basically is the same car.
    The Leon FR is a great car, my dad was interested in buying one and i really wanted him to get one, he's more interested in buying the BMW 1 Series now, probable the 120d because he wants a diesel, i would like him to get the 123d but i havn't seen many around.

That's the good thing about Seat, you get basically the same car as VW but with more spec and it cost less.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    The Leon FR is a great car, my dad was interested in buying one and i really wanted him to get one, he's more interested in buying the BMW 1 Series now, probable the 120d because he wants a diesel, i would like him to get the 123d but i havn't seen many around.

That's the good thing about Seat, you get basically the same car as VW but with more spec and it cost less.
    There's also the Leon FR TDi if your dad wants a fast Leon and diesel.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    There's also the Leon FR TDi if your dad wants a fast Leon and diesel.
    I think that's the one he was looking at, it has 170 bhp and does 54 mpg doesn't it, he's not so intreasted in it now, he like the BMW 1 Series instead.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Both are aging cars waiting for a replacement in the next months, could be a good deal.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Both are aging cars waiting for a replacement in the next months, could be a good deal.
    Do you have a picture of the next gen Leon, It was time for the Leon to move on because the ibiza has move on and so has other Seat cars. I realy like the Seat Leon and i hope the next gen will be as good if not better.

And about a good deal, i don't think my dad wants to buy a new car just yet, i think he will wait a bit, but hopfully he will buy one this year. Also my dads thinking very Seriously about buying a new van for work because he has had some problems with the one he has now. The van he's looking at is an exdemo Hyundi iload. So because of that i don't think he will be buying a car just yet.
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Try to imagine ... what will be diffrnc between now and future ......????

Thread Information