Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin DBS V12 Volante 2009-

Aston Martin DBS V12 Volante 2009-

Aston Martin DBS Volante: Fusing Open Top Motoring With the Ultimate Luxury Sports Car

• The ultimate open air motoring experience
    • Lightweight fabric hood preserving DBS’s purity of lines and beauty
    • Class leading handling characteristics and torsional strength
    • At home in the town or city as on country roads

Gaydon, Warwickshire, 25th February 2009. Aston Martin will premiere the DBS Volante at the Geneva Auto Salon on the 3rd March 2009. Completing the DBS line-up, the new Volante will afford customers the combination of the DBS’s already-established benchmark sports car characteristics with all the thrills of open-air motoring.

Broadening the DBS’s character, the DBS Volante will appeal to drivers who wish to combine the excitement of driving a finely-tuned sports car with the invigorating feeling of being open to the elements. This juxtaposition of ultimate performance and openness stirs the senses on any drive whether an exhilarating jaunt on favoured roads or cruising on lengthy journeys. ‘Volante’, meaning ‘moving with light rapidity’, perfectly defines the performance potential and the dynamic characteristics of the DBS Volante.

Featuring a motorised retractable fabric roof, the DBS’s beautiful profile is preserved whether up or down. When the roof is closed, it provides a warm comfortable ambience and when open, it neatly disappears behind the new tonneau cover at the touch of a button.

Aston Martin’s Chief Executive Officer, Dr Ulrich Bez said: “The DBS Volante delivers the utmost relaxed driving experience with the hood up or down. It combines engineering excellence with design perfection.

“The DBS Volante offers a subtle mix of power and performance. Adding to this, the fine craftsmanship – it is an unparalleled ownership and driving experience.”
    Conceived as a Volante from the outset, Aston Martin engineers opted for a fabric hood to closely follow the silhouette of the DBS coupe and due to its lightweight properties, minimise overall weight gain. Fully retractable in only 14 seconds and at up to speeds of 30 mph (48 km/h), the roof will automatically stow under the newly sculpted tonneau, maintaining the DBS Volante’s perfect form – hood up or down.

Power is provided by Aston Martin’s hand-built all alloy 6.0-litre V12 engine producing 510 bhp (380 kW / 517 PS), and 570 Nm (420 lb ft) of torque with a top speed of 191 mph (307 km/h) and 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) time of 4.3 seconds. The nature of the V12, and in particular the torque available at all engine speeds, serves to provide effortless driving in all situations.

Aston Martin’s 16th convertible in 95 years, the DBS Volante draws on the marque’s extensive experience in designing iconic ‘Volantes’ and is a 2+2 featuring two occasional rear seats, ideal for young people or extra luggage. In standard specification, the DBS has a rear-mounted six-speed manual gearbox, while an automatic six-speed ‘Touchtronic’ option is also available. As with the coupe, the Volante is offered with carbon ceramic brakes as standard providing exceptional stopping power. Benefitting from materials derived from the motorsport and aerospace industries, the bonnet, front wings and boot lid are made from carbon fibre all helping to reduce weight.

The DBS Volante also comes with Bang & Olufsen’s renowned ‘BeoSound DBS’ in-car entertainment system, featuring 13 speakers as standard equipment. The BeoSound DBS has been expertly tuned by Bang & Olufsen’s Tonmeisters and Aston Martin’s acoustic engineers specifically for the Volante resulting in a system that senses when the roof has been retracted and adjusts the sound stage to compensate for extra wind noise, providing an unrivalled automotive audio experience.

The DBS Volante will be built at Aston Martin’s global headquarters at Gaydon, Warwickshire with customer deliveries expected to commence during quarter three 2009 and prices will be confirmed at the Geneva Auto Salon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't like it. It neuters the car.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

the coupe looks at least 7 times better than this, yet this will probably outsell the coupe by the same ratio

I'm not against this that much, I'm more nervous to see it with the top up... Still its not that awful.

Does anyone else think this sorta ruins the point of it being a harder DB9?
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Marketing at its worst.

Nice looking car, but I'm not really sure how this will affect the handling. Especially considering, like mclaren said, that it was originally meant to be a performance DB9.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Marketing at its worst.
    I think there are far worse examples of marketing messing with everything.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    True.

Aston Martin's marketing at its worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    Does anyone else think this sorta ruins the point of it being a harder DB9?
    what about the Scuderia 16M?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    porsche

I actually like it, since I like both the DBS and the DB9 Volante. about being a nonsense, and considering the DBS is faster than a DB9 but also not that much harder, I'm fine with it.
    a lot of people/journalists complained about the DB9 being too much soft and not focused, but at the same time they said so about the DBS, expecting probably a Scuderia's in AM sauce.
    now, I never expected a race ready car from AM, nor even a track day car, so I always being fine with the car the DBS revealed to be. for this reason, I think the DBS Volante isn't a real issue.
    maybe the V12 Vantage will be found being much more race oriented, and therefore a V12 Vanatge Roadster wouldn't make much sense, even if again the best nonsense from this point of view is the 16M from Ferrari.
    but in the end, if people are fine with a Zonda F Roadster, or an F50 being first of all an open top, as the MC12, with this car being much more grand touring oriented, seriously, what's the problem?
    about how it looks, it's up to your personal tastes, that's for sure.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Plus open top motoring always intensifies the experience.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes, I do like the coupe in silver better. Being 007's ride always helps. Plus there's always a 6 speed manual.

This makes as much sense as the Ferrari F430 Scuderia 16M, if anything it makes more sense since this will be more "relaxed" and more suited to the open top nature....while being as exclusive....

I think it looks great, but then as does all Aston...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The new California is dying to look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    The new California is dying to look that good.
    best-line-ever....lol
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information