Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news.

2011 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news.

West Racing enters two Lambo LP 560 GT's in 2011 ALMS.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|15440

Dyson is rumored to have two cars possibly, and have dumped BP as primary sponsor.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    Dyson is rumored to have two cars possibly, and have dumped BP as primary sponsor.
    dumped? because the BP name is tainted? (Or lost, because BP ran out of money?)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    dumped? because the BP name is tainted? (Or lost, because BP ran out of money?)
    More likely the former. BP isn't short of cash but could have decided motorsport isn't where they could best renew their "green" PR spin.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

BP also owns Castrol....and the races after the spill it seems the car livery was changed from BP to Castrol for obvious reasons.

Hopefully the team lands an adequate sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    More likely the former. BP isn't short of cash but could have decided motorsport isn't where they could best renew their "green" PR spin.
    well, the first post sounded like Dyson actively sought to get rid of BP as a sponsor, a brave thing to do these days in motorsport.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    BP also owns Castrol....and the races after the spill it seems the car livery was changed from BP to Castrol for obvious reasons.
    Hopefully the team lands an adequate sponsor.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well, the first post sounded like Dyson actively sought to get rid of BP as a sponsor, a brave thing to do these days in motorsport.
    I spoke to soon. Dino, have you read anywhere they did drop them? After watching the video it seemed more like Dyson was expressing optimism with the green project and BP's fuel... he just didn't mention BP, which as you pointed out might have been deliberate since they switched to Castrol livery. BP likely helped craft the message... after all, who would drop a big-money sponsor in this economy?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I said that BP is no longer primary sponsor--it seems that some electronics company is now main sponsor.

Maybe BP knows that with the criticism with how they handled the Gulf Oil Spill that putting small Castrol and BP stickers on the Dyson Lolas is the best way to save face with the team and the ALMS?
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

This is the new sponsor:

ModSpace: Modular Offices, Construction Trailers, Portable Storage, Portable Classrooms and More

I found where they have traditionally sponsored ARCA and other stockcars.
    Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 12-18-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    I said that BP is no longer primary sponsor-
    you did not SAY that, but it was the implication of your words. What you SAID was something totally different.

"...and have dumped BP as primary sponsor"

That's what has seemed to have happened, unless it was BP who pulled the plug because of their image in the NA market. And you can expect that in the short term at least that Rob, Chris and the ALMS management would like to distance themselves from BP for a while, with the ALMS' mantra of "green racing" wouldn't they?

And at a time where Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullrich said that Audi running in the ALMS was sponsor dependant. But at least BP isn't Union Carbide after the Bhopal disaster.

Both shouldn't have happened, but I do see a difference in the amount of corporate greed/evil in killing 11 people vs about 3000, if not more.

OAK Racing has confirmed the second of its drivers for the 2011 Intercontinental Le Mans Cup with the signing of Frenchman Pierre Ragues, who returns to the team having successfully raced with them in 2008.

During his previous stint with OAK Racing, then known as Saulnier Racing, the 26-year-old Ragues scored his first-ever endurance racing podium and also helped the team to its first of three consecutive podium finishes at the Le Mans 24 Hours, ending the year fifth overall in the Le Mans Series LMP2 drivers’ standings.

He has since gained valuable LMP1 experience in both the Le Mans Series and at Le Mans while racing the Signature-Plus Lola-Aston Martin, scoring two podiums in 2010 and finishing fourth in the final drivers’ classification.

Ragues will share one of OAK Racing’s LMP1 OAK-Pescarolo prototypes with compatriot Guillaume Moreau, whose continuation with the team was confirmed last month, in the seven-round ILMC which encompasses the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours and also includes prestigious events in the USA, China and Europe.

François Sicard, Managing Director, OAK Racing: “We are very happy to welcome Pierre back to the team. We remained in touch since 2008 and have followed his results closely – it feels like he’s coming home. Pierre is one of the most experienced young French racing drivers around and he has clearly demonstrated the key qualities of speed and reliability required for endurance racing. Pierre also knows Guillaume Moreau well from their Formula Renault days and his technical experience in the LMP1 class will be of invaluable help to the team as we move up from the LMP2 category.”

Pierre Ragues: “I enjoyed a great season with the team in 2008 but felt that the opportunity to move into LMP1 was too good to turn down. However I parted on very good terms and today feels like a homecoming for me. This programme in the ILMC, taking part in all the most prestigious events such as Sebring, Le Mans, Road Atlanta and Spa, is a dream-come-true for a young driver like me. Although the nucleus of the team is the same, it has grown a lot since I was last here and is even more professional. My testing programme starts in mid-February and it will be an important time ahead of Sebring. I can’t wait to start.”

OAK Racing’s third driver for the team’s ILMC campaign will be announced shortly.

will they use new chassis? (One of their LMP2s actually started life as an LMP1 car)
    Last edited by henk4; 12-20-2010 at 02:15 PM.

I think that all Pescarolo 01s were either converted from LMP1 Courage/Pescarolo C60s or Courage C65s to start with. I don't have any idea if they actually built any of their cars from scratch up until now.

However, that's a credit to how good the C60 was in the right hands--the only chassis that rivals it in longevity/success was the Audi R8, which was far more successful, but Audi retired that as soon as it was practical to run the R10 in the ALMS in '06. And, of course, if not for the diesels and if LMP 900s were still legal, the R8 could probably still be winning races today.

Of course, how Pescarolo was able to modify the C60 tubs is that they're built in the "traditional manner" in two halves. Unlike the Audi R18, which is cast in one giant mold.

Ad-hoc mods there are virtually impossible. But that's the trade off. Pescarolo could convert any C60 chassis he wanted or bought into a new car, and he took full advantage of it, and saved a little money in the bargan.

The Pescarolo 01 was a new tub, not based on any Courage and introduced in 2007. Up to then Pescarolo had used Courage tubs.

They build eight of them,
    #1 was the first works LMP1, totalled in 2009 at Spa
    #2 was the first LMP2 and went to Kruse, was later destroyed in a truck fire
    #3 reportedly went to Lister but never raced
    #4 Rollcentre LMP1
    #5 LMP 1, Ran as the second works car, then converted to LMP2 for Oak racing, as #24
    #6 LMP2, for Oak racing #35
    #7 LMP1, works car
    #8 LMP1, 2009, with the new aero package.

Thread Information