Thread: 2011 Techno Classica report and new BMW M3 Pickup ...

2011 Techno Classica report and new BMW M3 Pickup ...

On Wednesday the Messe Essen exhibition centre opened its doors for 2011 edition of the annual Techno Classica. Attracting well over a 1,000 exhibitors to fill the venue's 20 halls, it is easily the biggest in-door classic car show in the world. Among the exhibitors are many of the major manufacturers including Mercedes-Benz, the Volkswagen Group, BMW and also the likes of Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Porsche. The remaining space is filled to the brim with clubs and vendors of anything loosely related to the classic car world.
    It took some time and a lot of walking but we managed to find some interesting machines in the sea of cars. The result of our effort can be found in this brief report and 150 shot gallery.
    Surprisingly few 'unusual' press releases hit our desk this morning. One exception was a BMW mailing with news of the all new M3 Pickup. Combining the best of both worlds this drop-top machine sports the familiar high-revving V8 but also a luggage compartment big enough to transport 20 golf bags. It is also the first M3 ever equipped with a trailer tow hitch. To ensure that customers will reach the golf course in record time, the BMW engineers have honed the car's suspension setup on the 'Ring. We look forward to seeing the M3 Pickup in the metal soon but we have a sneaking suspicion that today will be the last we'll hear of this machine.

Enjoy the links:

2011 Techno Classica - Report and Slideshow

2011 BMW E92 M3 Pickup - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

BMW-E92-M3-Pickup_1.jpg BMW-E92-M3-Pickup_3.jpg

Cool, i still prefer Holden Maloo though.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Is that license plate a dig at 'Mericans and our love of bad beer and pickups?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

1st April

But I'm confused f6, about the plate, coudl you explain ?

As someone said in the bimmer forum ... the trailer hitch is a little phallic

Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-01-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Corporate BMW had fun .... so did UK

Quote Originally Posted by BMW UK Press release
    MARQUE THE OCCASION.
    To celebrate the forthcoming wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton, a very special Royal Edition of the BMW M3 Coupé will be available at BMW Dealerships throughout the country from today, and for this month only.

The majestic Royal Edition is available in three colours – Regal Red, Bridal White and Imperial Blue. It is resplendently upholstered in Windsor White Dakota leather and adorned with our commemorative ‘Will’ emblem. For more information, call 0800 777 120 or contact [email protected]
    Love the email address.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

MGD 64 is 64 cal. Miller Genuine Draft
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Could i order a brochure for one of these if i called 0800 777 120 or contact [email protected].
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

The phone number has a polite female thank you for calling and hoping you enjoyed the April Fool joke
    Dont know if anyone's emailed pulling-your-leg yet !!

Just for you brochureman
    Sent: 01 April 2011 15:41
    To: peter*****************
    Subject: BMW M3 Royal Edition

Thank you for your interest in the BMW M3 Royal Edition. We would be delighted to send you more details about the model if it weren’t for the fact that it was an April Fool’s joke.

We’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking part and showing an interest in BMW. If you would like to find out more about our range, please visit BMW UK | Homepage

Thanks again for being a good sport. We hope that you enjoy the big day on the 29th.

Kind regards,
    The BMW team

Needs truck nuts.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I remember some crazy German made a Acura Legend coupe into a pickup because he wanted a parts hauler. It was in a very old edition of Sport Compact Magazine, I believe.

But this brings it one step closer to craziness, I love the open top.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Just for you brochureman
    Thanks, just after posting i found out on evo cars that it was acutely an April Fool’s joke. I think the BMW M3 pick-up looks cool, i say BMW should actually make it, maybe they should make a limited run.

— Jeremy Clarkson

Ok so i'm totally confused by all this April Fools nonsense, i know the Royal Edition is a joke but is the pick up a joke too? If so then it's a very good and funny one but if it's not my first reaction to it was "what the f*ck?"

It's an April Fool that it is a car "launched" and the question is was Wouter taken in by the press release or deliberately fooling us too ?

Doubtful as he added "Notwithstanding these unquestionable stand-out qualities, the BMW M3 Pickup will not be heading for the golf course or series development, but will retain its status as an exclusive one-off. It "

However, it's well executed the car is real, does exist and IS road legal.

Nice one BMW, had me till I saw the date of the press release. Made me stir a bit when its said it was the worlds first high performance pickup. That's clearly a Ute mate and Australians have been making high performance Utes for the past 20 years. Utility's or Sports Trucks as the Sepos call them a based on saloon cars were as Pickups are designed on their own. Classic examples for Utes are Australia's Ford Falcon Ute and Holden's Commodore Ute, Americas Chevrolet El Camino and Ford Ranchero. Also check out Steven Applebys M5 Ute.

Thread Information