Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaro being prepared for FIA GT3 and ADAC.

Camaro being prepared for FIA GT3 and ADAC.

It's bizzaro world...Camaro's in FIA and Audi R8 in Grand Am(and soon in ALMS).

'YACO Racing will bring a American vibe to GT3 racing after the team announced plans to enter two brand new Chevrolet Camaro GT3 racers in the FIA GT3 European Championship.

The American muscle cars will also compete in the highly competitive German ADAC GT Masters series on some of the best European race tracks.

The Chevrolet Camaro, one of the legendary US sports cars, will be race in 2012 for the very first time in GT3 racing.

The two Chevrolet Camaro GT3s, developed by German company SaReNI United, will be entered by YACO Racing, who are run by former rally driver Uwe Geipel.

The team have built a big reputation in touring car racing in the past with self-developed versions of the Toyota Corolla and Toyota Auris and claimed the German ADAC Procar championship in 2008.

“The development of the Chevrolet Camaro GT3 is well on schedule and we plan to make the roll-out with the first car built at the end of October or in the first days of November“, Uwe Geipel says. “We will then start an extensive pre-season test program.”

Technical specification of the Camaro, which will be powered by a V8-engine, will be published at a later date.

The Chevrolet Camaro GT3 will be homologated in time before the start of the 2012 racing season.

Geiple added: “The Chevrolet Camaro has all the ingredients for a great racing car and with its very spectacular design, it will definitely be a fan-favourite in the 2012 season.“

Drivers of the two Chevrolet Camaro are not confirmed yet and will be announced after the conclusion of pre-season testing in February 2012.

Preliminary schedule ADAC GT Masters 2012
    13.04. – 15.04.2012 Motorsport Arena Oschersleben
    11.05. – 13.05.2012 Zandvoort / The Netherlands
    08.06. – 10.06.2012 Sachsenring
    13.07. – 15.07.2012 Nürburgring (Sprint-track, ADAC Truck Grand Prix)
    10.08. – 12.08.2012 Red Bull-Ring / Austria
    31.08. – 02.09.2012 EuroSpeedway Lausitz
    14.09. – 16.09.2012 Nürburgring (Grand-Prix-track)
    05.10. – 07.10.2012 Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg"

YACO Racing Announce Chevy Camaro Programme for FIA GT3 European Championship - FIA GT - The Checkered Flag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Yl0q9s_VI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Yl0q9s_VI[/ame]

Odd base indeed for a sportscar racer.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Aside from the odd-ball body style though, the platform's former self, the Aussie Monaro/Pontiac GTO was raced in the "National GT" level(World Challenge in US, Aussie GT...etc). The Grand Am version of the old GTO was probably a tubeframe car, so not really the same story. But seems rather plausible....

The new Mustang already races(poorly) in the older GT3 class in the last few years no?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

That's pretty cool, but wouldn't it be easier just to use a Corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's pretty cool, but wouldn't it be easier just to use a Corvette?
    A Corvette would require de-tuning the engine to comply with FIA standards. But it's time to show the Europeans what really horsepower looks like and I think that it will do fine compared to the other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 250gto boy View Post
    A Corvette would require de-tuning the engine to comply with FIA standards. But it's time to show the Europeans what really horsepower looks like and I think that it will do fine compared to the other cars.
    any "real horsepower" will be subject to performance balancing....also that of a Ferrari 458.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yeah... The Europeans have HP. And a small budget GT3 conversion of a car not that well suited to racing is probably going to have trouble, even if the ADAC GT is not the most highly touted European GT series.

Up against manufacturer made 458s, SLSs, and R8s...

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The new Mustang already races(poorly) in the older GT3 class in the last few years no?
    Key word here is poorly, and probably why this Camaro won't work either.
    Visca Catalunya!

The Mustang in GT3 was still saddled by the live axle layout, this car, despite retro look, is pretty modern by comparison. We can go all day on the merit of each, but for road racing when given the choice, especially on a "production based" formula with limit room to modify geometry, IRS will have more desirable layout advantages....

Multimatic(from Toronto) was responsible for the Mustang and they pretty much gave up on it....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

But then the Corvette that runs in Le Mans (I forget which class) is based on the ZR1, that has too much hp too and that had to be detuned.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    But then the Corvette that runs in Le Mans (I forget which class) is based on the ZR1, that has too much hp too and that had to be detuned.
    It's not really based on the ZR1. Only the name actually is...
    Visca Catalunya!

The GT2 C6.R still has much of it based on the GT1 car. Changes mostly relates to the less aggressive aero and less power. Engine size was reduced to 5.5 Liter(IIRC), and direct injection was removed.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

At least it sounds good, there's gonna be a lot of thunder with those two and the swarm of SLS's on the track at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The GT2 C6.R still has much of it based on the GT1 car. Changes mostly relates to the less aggressive aero and less power. Engine size was reduced to 5.5 Liter(IIRC), and direct injection was removed.
    The old Katech block had DI? I did not know that.

So the car is based on the Z06 then still sorta?

Also, I remember reading years ago on this forum about a Katech built road Vette ZR1 competitor. I saw it or its descendent in a Vette magazine a few weeks ago - ZR1 power from a 7L NA engine. Cool shit; imma look into it.

I'll side with thoose betting on poor performance, even if it is slighty more moder than the mustang, the aerodynamics alone will set it back. That front is no Corvette.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information