Thread: Why The Stig slides somewhat in his Power Lap corners while road racers don't?

Why The Stig slides somewhat in his Power Lap corners while road racers don't?

Maybe because Top Gear test track is designed specifically to upset handling and break traction?

Maybe while Stig-style sliding is faster it actually creates too much tire wear for road racing? But maybe still enough tire wear for qualifying laps?

Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    Maybe because Top Gear test track is designed specifically to upset handling and break traction?

Maybe while Stig-style sliding is faster it actually creates too much tire wear for road racing? But maybe still enough tire wear for qualifying laps?
    Plenty of sideways driving in GT qualifying. I've seen Jaime Melo drift the 430 GT2 through T1 at Mosport for example. You can get away with higher limits when going for one hot lap but you don't do that in race pace.

When racing at the limit on a track you know VERY well a racing driver will often exceed the tyre grip levels and end up with drift. Four wheel is the most balanced and front the less noticable before corrected. So the Stig has an advantage. BUT when racing you wont generally take that much of risk as too much depends on it AND it's on race tyres - another whole difference

Also drift/slide in racing is different from what anyone wants to acheive in touge/driftin ..... not sure which cars or series you're compairing B_T
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I would also think the tires to be cool and therefore, a lower friction coo efficient making the tires let go sooner than racing slicks. That and he's the Stig...
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

It's all in the tires. Look at pictures of older race cars and you will see they have more slip angle in the tires vs the modern cars.

Ya, the Shtig is doing it on road tyres, which are a different story than race tyres. It also looks better on camera, so the lap shown will include showy shots that weren't necessarily part of the lap that produced the time. They also do that with the guest laps.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Also in a race, sliding wears down your tyres faster, which means slower lap times.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

The Stig only needs to do one power lap and not have to worry about double/triple-stinting his tires.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Also, is the lap they show the one they timed, or just the best for TV?
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Also, is the lap they show the one they timed, or just the best for TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Ya, the Shtig is doing it on road tyres, which are a different story than race tyres. It also looks better on camera, so the lap shown will include showy shots that weren't necessarily part of the lap that produced the time. They also do that with the guest laps.

Life's too short to drive bad cars.

IMO on TG Power Laps, the Stig pushes the cars beyond their limits, which is the point of the Power Laps I suppose: to not only see how fast the cars can do a single standing lap, but also pushing beyond the car's limits exposes potential weaknesses in the car.

On the other hand, in a race, it is more about consistency and, as many of you mentioned, preserving the tires so they last the entire stint during a race. If any of you watched Formula 1 this season (and I'm guessing a lot of you have), you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

The original drifters were Nuvolari and then Fangio. They were pretty quick.
    '78 Fiat 131S
    '82 Fiat x1/9
    '70 Otas

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    This.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information