Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Perfect Engine

A Perfect Engine

So could anyone describe a perfect engine, in detail?
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

It depends on it's intended use. 1st, is it for a car, truck, bike, boat, tank, plane, UAV, ect. 2nd is it performance orientated, efficiency orientated, load orientated, reliability orientated. 3rd, cost, is it for an affordable application, or a money no option situation.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

1: We are talking purely theoretically, so it doesn't really matter.
    2: All of the above
    3: Money no option
    Jimi Hendrix

It really does matter, because the perfect engine for a muscle car is not the perfect engine for a hot hatch, or a motorbike. Secondly, a jack-of-all-trades engine will never be the master of any particular trait, so again, the purpose counts.

As for describe it in detail.. it's made of metal, it revolves.. not really actually sure what you're after to be honest.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

hits all 3 Magnum points I think......

A private collector paid one of the planets most advanced independent race engine design and manufacturers to make him 10 Matra V12s from original factory drawings. Money no object for sure.

For me will always be the #1 in sound in the 70s at Le Mans

Small enough to even go transverse if someone wanted to !!!

PS: Yes I'm biased. Live with it !!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The perfect engine? Everyone that we build at my work. All 180 per day

Perfekt engines:
    Performance car: V12 90degrees Turbo charged, high capacity, low consumption, high torque and power numbers.

Familiy saloon car: I4 Turbocharged, 1.6L - 2.0L, High Torque, medium power, Very low consumption. low weight and size.

Small/Micro car: I3 Turbocharged (small), 1L - 1.2L, Medium Torque, low end natural aspirated power, High end Turbocharging, Super low consumption, Very low Weight and size.

Sports car engine (fitted to Hot Hatched, Coupe's and Sports): I4 Turbocharged (medium/big), 1.6L - 2.0L, Low Fuel consumption, low weight, High Power and Torque, Low end Natural aspirated power, Medium/high end Turbocharging.

Don't know if it's the perfect engines, or more an modern "ideal" of an Engine.

The perfekt engines for me will always be these:
    - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRV_engine"]PRV Engine (PSA, Renault, Volvo V6)[/ame]
    Used in everyday cars like Peugeot 605 and Citroen XM, but also used to set the highspeed record at Le Mans in the WM P88. (Highly modified of course)
    - PSA XU8
    The engine used in the 205 Turbo 16, and 405 Turbo 16, delivered 200bhp in the "weakest"(205 T16 Road) and 600bhp in the strongest (405 T16 Pikes Peak)
    Last edited by Brix; 01-15-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Wow, Brix, didn't expect anyone but me would have called up the PRV - used in the A610.
    Shame it has a near fatal weakness if not maintained 100% at high power outputs
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

For me will always be the #1 in sound in the 70s at Le Mans
    Maybe #1 sound of all time at Le Mans and nearly #1 of all time in Formula 1. The BRM V16 has it beat i'd have to say

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Perfekt engines:
    Performance car: V12 90degrees Turbo charged, high capacity, low consumption, high torque and power numbers.

Familiy saloon car: I4 Turbocharged, 1.6L - 2.0L, High Torque, medium power, Very low consumption. low weight and size.

Small/Micro car: I3 Turbocharged (small), 1L - 1.2L, Medium Torque, low end natural aspirated power, High end Turbocharging, Super low consumption, Very low Weight and size.

Sports car engine (fitted to Hot Hatched, Coupe's and Sports): I4 Turbocharged (medium/big), 1.6L - 2.0L, Low Fuel consumption, low weight, High Power and Torque, Low end Natural aspirated power, Medium/high end Turbocharging.

Don't know if it's the perfect engines, or more an modern "ideal" of an Engine.
    The perfect engine can't have a turbo.

As has been said there are no perfect general engines. Everyone of us has in mind a set of characteristics and they will all differ between us.

Probably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wow, Brix, didn't expect anyone but me would have called up the PRV - used in the A610.
    Shame it has a near fatal weakness if not maintained 100% at high power outputs
    Didn't knew that it was used in the A610!
    But it's a glorious engine, but unfortunately it does have it's flaws
    Do you know if this was the engine Sodemo used when they build the Peugeot V6 for Pescarolo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The perfect engine can't have a turbo.
    As has been said there are no perfect general engines. Everyone of us has in mind a set of characteristics and they will all differ between us.
    Probably.
    In my mind the perfect engine has a Turbo .
    So yes, it's individual, perhaps the Thread Title should be "Whats your perfect engine?"
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Do you know if this was the engine Sodemo used when they build the Peugeot V6 for Pescarolo?
    No Sodemo designed around the later Renualt L engine. (Edit: checked and is listed as based on the Peugeot ES9 J4S variant - same starting point as the L)
    a more traditional 60degree V6 it seemed no less fragile than the PRV
    The L engine formed the basis for the Clio V6
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-16-2013 at 04:44 AM.

No Sodemo designed around the later Renualt L engine. (Edit: checked and is listed as based on the Peugeot ES9 J4S variant - same starting point as the L)
    a more traditional 60degree V6 it seemed no less fragile than the PRV
    The L engine formed the basis for the Clio V6
    Thank you Matra et Alpine
    The ES/L is a good engine too!, my dad had it, in a 807. Such a smooth ride (although thirsty).
    I've always loved "Ordinary" production engines, which has the capacity to be tuned to capable race engines, like the PRV and ES engines.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

For the sake of discussion, lets start with one cylinder, it can be of any design, engineered for whichever purpose you desire (power, torque, efficiency, reliability), and lets assume you have an unlimited budget. Use design features that are feasible and realistic.
    For the purpose of Reliability, I am building a 500cc normally aspirated diesel engine. The fuel would use an old school injector pump for the absolute in reliability and dependability. It would feature a Bore of 3in and a stroke of 4.317 inches. The cylinder and cylinder head would be made out of magnesium and integrated as one piece, to save weight and eliminate gaskets. The combustion chamber would be a pan, that features a pre combustion chamber located in the center of the head where the glowplug and injector are located. The compression ratio would be 17:1. The inside of the cylinder would be plasma coated to improve durability. The outside diameter of the cylinder (excluding cooling fins) would be 4.25 inches, for maximum strength. The entire engine would be powder coated to protect the magnesium from corrosion. The cylinder head would be a SOHC and feature only two valves, the intake 1.7 inches and the exhaust 1 inch. They would be made out of sodium filled titanium to reduce weight and enhance cooling. The camshaft would be titanium chain driven and would use racecar-inspired hardened tool steel finger lifters that ride on one piece tool steel shafts. The camshaft would be made out of the same tool steel. The valvesprings would be of beehive design and made out of durable titanium, and sit 1inch tall. The lift at the valve would be .55 inches. The entire valvetrain would use nylon coatings to reduce friction and improve lubricity. The intake port would be a straight tapered port of 80cc to maximize torque and cylinder filling. The exhaust port would feature a more conventional 70cc volume and also be straight. The piston would be made out of aluminum and will be flat top. The skirts would be asymmetrical and have an offset wrist pin to minimize sideload, friction, and mass. The connecting rod would be centered on the wrist pin using spacers to reduce friction at the big end. The connecting rod itself would be made out of titanium and be 8.5 inches along to reduce the piston speed and aid cylinder filling, as well as to smooth out the vibrations. The crankshaft would be made out of forged stainless steel and will be balanced to reduce weight. The crank mains would be 2.8 inches in diameter and would ride on ceramic roller bearings for reduced friction and stress. The fly wheel would be made out of aluminum to reduce mass, and would feature a rare earth magnet magneto to save eliminate the need for an alternator, which saves more mass and friction. The damper would be hydraulic to reduce mass and cancel virtually all of the vibrations. The oil would be pumped through a drysump system that features a cooling external reservoir, and piston cooling jets to keep engine temperatures at reasonable levels.Oil capacity would be 3 quarts. The results are an engine that uses steel where necessary for strength, and aluminum to reduce mass, which improves dependability. I estimate it makes about 20 horsepower at 3000rpm, and make 40 ft-lbs off idle, and peak at 47 lb feet at 2000RPM. In a lightweight motorcycle, at highway speeds, it is feasible to achieve 60 MPG, possibly more. A turbo could add more torque and power, but I believe would be less reliable and would not improve cruising speed efficiency.
    Last edited by Magnum9987; 01-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Jimi Hendrix

In my mind the perfect engine has a Turbo .
    So yes, it's individual, perhaps the Thread Title should be "Whats your perfect engine?"
    In my mind turbos are the devil's work.

Superchargers are ok, though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information