Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post

Sad that it happened, and sympathies to those involved, but...

I really don't see why we, in the UK, need to be have up-to-the-second rolling news coverage of something that, actually, doesn't really affect more than a handful of people or so who might know someone in the region.

There are more important and relevant stories to cover, both nationally and internationally,

Not near enough to your doorstep ?
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-16-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: quote formatting

Nah i do have to agree with Coventry, its sad and all but i would like to know what is happening in MY country first an foremost,

despite all the political and constitutional BS surrounding guns in the US. Gun control works, no where has gun control EVER increased or hurt anybody except they cant pump an M16 into a deer. Oh dear, big fkn loss that.

Get your heads screwed on America and join the rest of the 1st world countries.
    The Datto will rage again...

Absolutely tragic event. But why do events like these mainly seem to happen in America?

Or is it just the media only reporting the ones that happen in America.

Raises some questions I feel...

It's a damn shame the USA is so far beyond gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Your sarcasm wafts into illogic in light of our experience in cessating further gun massacres since this event, through gun control
    If you have a dangerous person with a gun, removing the gun still leaves you with a dangerous person.

It would seem that more time and effort should go towards identifying why the USA is producing such a high number of dangerous people.

I'm not in favour of guns at all, but I think that you are completely ignoring the problem if you focus on guns, not the people brandishing them.

Quote Originally Posted by macoran View Post
    Not near enough to your doorstep ?
    There are thousands of people dying in tragic circumstances every day across the globe, the vast majority of these events pass unnoticed by the world.

Why do we suddenly need blanket coverage of something happening 4000 miles away, when children are being stabbed on the streets of London?

It is a tragedy, but considering the actual importance and relevance to this country, the response to the story is completely out of all proportion.

For everyone screaming gun control, it has yet to be determined if the guns he used were purchased legally. Kthxbai.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

If you have a dangerous person with a gun, removing the gun still leaves you with a dangerous person.
    - who is unable to shoot anyone at least.
    It would seem that more time and effort should go towards identifying why the USA is producing such a high number of dangerous people.
    Without knowing details of this case I would say it is pretty well impossible to identify, much less remove dangerous or more importantly potentially dangerous people. In the case where it is an individual with emotional or psychological problems they can manifest themselves in this way without most people around them knowing just how bad they have become. It is like suicides. If people knew their friends of family were suicidal they could take measures to help them.
    How do you identify that someone’s mental state is potentially bad enough for them to want to commit such an act or actually carry it out?
    Removing excessive and unnecessary guns from society is much easier. It is never going to be totally effective or eliminate the potential for people to be murdered but for each life it saves the cost is insignificant.
    I'm not in favour of guns at all, but I think that you are completely ignoring the problem if you focus on guns, not the people brandishing them.
    That’s true but you should not completely focus on one aspect of anything without considering all of them

There are thousands of people dying in tragic circumstances every day across the globe, the vast majority of these events pass unnoticed by the world.

Why do we suddenly need blanket coverage of something happening 4000 miles away, when children are being stabbed on the streets of London?

It is a tragedy, but considering the actual importance and relevance to this country, the response to the story is completely out of all proportion.
    True, if it bleeds it leads. Also it is easier to get this type of excess coverage form countries like the U.S. We got the same thing from the London bombings. Every little minutiae of detail (in many case speculation and incorrect). The news services love it. I suppose it must rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    For everyone screaming gun control, it has yet to be determined if the guns he used were purchased legally. Kthxbai.
    Kind of irrelevant. The fact they are available easily to anyone is the problem.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Kind of irrelevant. The fact they are available easily to anyone is the problem.
    It's incredible relevant. If he bought the guns illegally out of some guy's trunk, all the laws in the world wouldn't have prevented this.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

One of the main reasons the US is "so far behind" the rest of the world as far as gun control is because of the second amendment which gives "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." There's really no simple way for politicians to pass a law banning the personal ownership of weapons, because that would require amending the Constitution, again....which won't get passed.

Yeah, god forbid they try and make the constitution relevant to today's world. Only the military should have the right to bare arms. And really, what does the average Joe need 9mm handgun for? Hunting? Not for wild animals, they're used for hunting humans.

- who is unable to shoot anyone at least.
    Ah, but as the UK is currently experiencing, they can stab - with a broken bottle, even - and you still have dead school children.

The UK authorities' approach in these cases is not to criminalise glass bottles or whatever, but to try and tackle the social aspects that are clearly the cause; i.e. knives are available nationwide, but stabbings are only happening in certain areas and certain communities, therefore something in those areas or communities is at fault.

I would say it is pretty well impossible to identify, much less remove dangerous or more importantly potentially dangerous people.
    There have been 19 school shootings in 10 years in the USA.

There is a problem there, that isn't being experienced or replicated elsewhere in the world.

That problem needs to be identified and addressed, otherwise the matter is just being swept under the rug. "Our kids are turning into murderous nut-jobs, but as long as we can keep them away from guns: mission accomplished!"

The fact is that kids shouldn't be attempting to murder in the first place.

We got the same thing from the London bombings.
    I don't mind so much if it is something that will have wider political or economic implications, or that will dramatically affect society on the whole.

This incident is unfortunate but otherwise entirely irrelevant.

I really don't see why we, in the UK, need to be have up-to-the-second rolling news coverage of something that, actually, doesn't really affect more than a handful of people or so who might know someone in the region.

There are more important and relevant stories to cover, both nationally and internationally, but I suppose they don't involve shaky pictures of cops with guns hiding behind patrol cars.
    Awwwww poor coventry Like you honestly wanted to watch the news all day anyway...

This I agree with. This is why we could seriously limit the number of dangerous people in the US if we build a massive wall around New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    I am amazed that one man was able to kill so many people with a 9mm pistol and a .22 handgun...

It is a terrible thing when lives are ended and I don't think I have ever felt what the families of the victims are feeling right now. I mean a school is probably the last place I would expect anyone to get shot (even in the US).
    Honestly I'm not. It's not like anybody was going to pull a gun out of their waistband and shoot back at him. He was unopposed and easily unloaded round after round. Even if you were in that situation would you have gone up behind him and attack if you knew he had two very maneuverable hand guns?

QFMFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
    One of the main reasons the US is "so far behind" the rest of the world as far as gun control is because of the second amendment which gives "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." There's really no simple way for politicians to pass a law banning the personal ownership of weapons, because that would require amending the Constitution, again....which won't get passed.
    Plus there is a Texan in office....

Quote Originally Posted by LTT View Post
    Yeah, god forbid they try and make the constitution relevant to today's world. Only the military should have the right to bare arms. And really, what does the average Joe need 9mm handgun for? Hunting? Not for wild animals, they're used for hunting humans.
    Mostly negros that try to rob your house at 2:30 AM. Home protection FTW.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

It's incredible relevant. If he bought the guns illegally out of some guy's trunk, all the laws in the world wouldn't have prevented this.
    If the guns are illegal it makes it hard for the bloke selling them out of his trunk to get them, and should also make that a more serious crime.

Ah, but as the UK is currently experiencing, they can stab - with a broken bottle, even - and you still have dead school children.
    It's going to be fairly hard to stab 33 people to death in a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    This I agree with. This is why we could seriously limit the number of dangerous people in the US if we build a massive wall around New Jersey.
    Speaking of New Jersey, I'll be spending a night there. I'm sleeping at a hotel in Morristown friday when I'll be back from Washington D.C. in part of my NYC/Washington D.C. trip with school. I already bought myself a kevlar bulletproof vest and two loaded Glocks. I'm set. Best part of the trip: we're 7 dudes and 47 chicks. Who said school trips sucked?

As for the subject, I don't think the fact that guns are so easy to buy in the US is a good thing. Even if it matters or not in the actual subject, it's still not a good thing. It's not that I believe crime rates will be lower, but maybe if there is no weapons that makes mass murdering easy there won't be 32 persons killed, maybe 2 at best if the killer used broken bottles as Coventry said. Two fatalities is better than 32 in case of killing rage...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    It's going to be fairly hard to stab 33 people to death in a situation like this.
    So, one or two children at a time, that is acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Awwwww poor coventry Like you honestly wanted to watch the news all day anyway...
    Yes.

I was hoping for a long drawn out-debate about how all Americans are ****s for, yet again, refusing to cooperate with an inquest into dead British soldiers caused by US pilots.

Now all I've got as entertainment is looped clips of a very fat policeman "running" along with his M16 knock-off. He seems intent on hurting someone; it looks to be himself.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-16-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Thread Information