Thread: 1966 Detomaso Mangusta

1966 Detomaso Mangusta

I's surprised there hasn't already been a thread about this car already. It is such a gorgeuos car.

Detomaso Mangusta
    Mangusta was the second car produced by the DeTomaso car company, and their first supercar. The Mangusta was designed by the owner and founder of the company, the young Argentinian ex-racing driver Giugiaro DeTomaso.

While looking every bit the Italian exotic, the power was to come from the bargain Ford 289 ci V8 - but of course it was the Shelby-tuned version that had already appeared in AC Cobra, Ford GT-40 and Mustang GT-350.

Three hundred and six horses running in the middle of the car were enough to make a supercar. Of course the Ford V8 was not really able to challenge the revvy and smooth V12s from Ferrari and Lamborghini, but what the car down was mostly from the shortcomings of the chassis - most considered it to be too weak, generating too much flex that resulted in unpredictable oversteer / understeer in corners.
    Here are some photos of the '69, I would post the '66 but I couldn't find any quality photos. So here are some photos of the 1969 Detomaso Mangusta. I don't know if there is a difference between the '66 and '69 but I just wanted to post some of the '66 because the article was about it. If anybody comes accross photos of the '69 feel free to post them!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

as is said in the quote: The handling was rather unpredictable, which really gave the car a bad reputation. These weaknesses were later rectified in the Pantera. I found one pic in my collection, taken in Essen, 2003
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

one of the best moments this car ever had was to have Kylie Minogue in it in a video clip. Horrible song, but who cares?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    one of the best moments this car ever had was to have Kylie Minogue in it in a video clip. Horrible song, but who cares?
    not many got the opportunity to ride Kylie though
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    good one!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

as is said in the quote: The handling was rather unpredictable, which really gave the car a bad reputation. These weaknesses were later rectified in the Pantera. I found one pic in my collection, taken in Essen, 2003
    So is that a '66 in the photo? If so are there any differences between the '66 and '69? I'm not sure if there are, I'm just guessing maybe Detomaso changed some of the options for the car and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik
    So is that a '66 in the photo? If so are there any differences between the '66 and '69? I'm not sure if there are, I'm just guessing maybe Detomaso changed some of the options for the car and such.
    I am not sure when that one was built, I don't think there are that many differences between the various vintages. Not many were built, certainly not compared to the 12000 or so Panteras.

I am not sure when that one was built, I don't think there are that many differences between the various vintages. Not many were built, certainly not compared to the 12000 or so Panteras.
    Yes there were very few made, and the ones that were build were build by hand and are the higheest quality!

i wish.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Actually roughly 8500 Pantera(s) built.1970-1996 but the bulk of the cars were built during the Ford years 1971-1974 approx 6500 units

There were 401 (est) Mangusta(s), The early cars were literally running prototypes and the car evolved . Early cars had unique features like slats for AC grills in rear and larger front signal lights. On the inside the early cars had 2 pc seats and the switches mounted low on the dash as were the AC vents.

Beautiful cars! I owned an original Mangusta back in 1971. It was the purple (CWW) Corgi edition with the yellow tinted windows. I remember ''driving'' it hard and it never did break. Finally, after having wrestled it back from two different thieves, I grew tired of it in 1975, and watched earnestly as a passing (Toronto TTC) streetcar ran it over and literally flattened it beyond repair. My insurance agent refused to compensate me because I deliberately destroyed the car. Ah! I eventually went unto bigger and brighter toys like a new Datsun 260Z.

Posted below is the very car I once owned in its entire splendor…enjoy! LOL

Wow!!! It's really gorgeuos car Manik!...looks fantastic.

Thread Information