Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loeb wants a new record...

Loeb wants a new record...

Sebastien Loeb eyes Goodwood record in Pikes Peak Peugeot T16 - National news - AUTOSPORT.com

I'd curious to see if he gets it....IIRC the current crop of cars that runs for time is still a chunk of time slower than Heidfeld's record in that F1 car...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

We should go for the big one.

Fastest man named Sebastien round the Nurburgring.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I'd curious to see if he gets it....IIRC the current crop of cars that runs for time is still a chunk of time slower than Heidfeld's record in that F1 car...
    It would be interesting to see if he can even beat the Jaguar XJR up the hill

What makes the Heidfield F1 car that much faster than current cars?

I genuinely don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What makes the Heidfield F1 car that much faster than current cars?

I genuinely don't know, that's why I'm asking.
    it is not a really serious race. the modern F1 cars are on the hill to demonstrate only, burn outs, doughnuts etc, that is what the fans want to see.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it is not a really serious race. the modern F1 cars are on the hill to demonstrate only, burn outs, doughnuts etc, that is what the fans want to see.
    They were actually banned from setting outright time due to agreement between Goodwood people and F1 people. The risk/reward ratio is not reasonable and they want to stop them from trying...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

They were actually banned from setting outright time due to agreement between Goodwood people and F1 people. The risk/reward ratio is not reasonable and they want to stop them from trying...
    yeas and the record set by Heidfeld was with a older model Mc Laren Mp4-13 if I am not mistaken.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    yeas and the record set by Heidfeld was with a older model Mc Laren Mp4-13 if I am not mistaken.
    IIRC it was a "then-current" car though. Probably no older than a year? There was an interview with Martin Whitmarsh(who has since disappeared, lol) that they ran that with the Bridgestone qualifying tires and actual setup on the car trying to set a time. Nowadays for any running outside of official events they are limited to demo tires...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

www.fsae.utoronto.ca

the "run for the best time" has developed into a quite useless aspect of the Festival of Speed, on Saturday Anthony Reid, in an effort to set a time with an older ASton Martin, hit the wall, lost all his oil and caused the Saturday session to be completely stopped for the of the day, robbing both the participants and the public of an opportunity to show and see the cars. On sunday, the programme got seriously delayed, because the supercars also had a timed run, for the first time in Festival. You will say some of the results of this in our upcoming report.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Thats just a normal racing event issue though....while the festival's interest is mostly in the presence of these cars, it was still sorta a competition....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thats just a normal racing event issue though....while the festival's interest is mostly in the presence of these cars, it was still sorta a competition....
    Some egos make it a disruptive aspect of the show....and the "track" is not really catered for a "normal racing event".

No worse than I think most hillclimb sort of a deal...I mean Matra's regular hill climb route looks no more suitable than that...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

No worse than I think most hillclimb sort of a deal...I mean Matra's regular hill climb route looks no more suitable than that...
    I guess Matra will not have about 250-300 vehicles going up per day...and the drivers on a regular hillclimb normally know what they are doing.

If Hillclimbing is like autoX or any other grassroot motorsports, you'll be surprised...

I was at a ProSolo this last week, which was my first national level event, we had 263 drivers running 12 runs each across 2 days, with event manned entirely by volunteer(basically drivers) and running non-stop from 8am to 6pm for 2 days. There will always be disruption or novice drivers or anything in between, its just the nature of being grassroot. Goodwood really isn't that different aside from the fact that the novice now are in pricy old race cars as opposed to the shitbox they built in their shed.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information