Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series (C209) 2007-2009

Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series (C209) 2007-2009

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG Black Series

The new CLK 63 AMG Black Series is based on the Official F1 Safety Car, the high-performance AMG vehicle that has been providing Formula One safety since 2006. The coupe, optimized for the racing circuit, is powered by an AMG 6.3-liter V8 with its performance boosted to 500 bhp and 470 lb-ft of torque. Top-rank handling is assured by the sophisticated AMG threaded suspension with 19-inch AMG forged wheels, new steering and the generously dimensioned AMG high-performance brake system with its composite disks. Visually, too, the CLK 63 AMG Black Series clearly shows its descent from the Official F1 Safety Car: its striking front apron with large cooling intakes, flared wheel arches, diffusor-type rear apron and carbon-fiber airflow breakaway edge, all demonstrate the car’s sporting pedigree.

The new CLK 63 AMG Black Series is technically and visually oriented towards the Official F1 Safety Car and thus addresses all sports-car enthusiasts who value high competitiveness. An output upgraded by 25 bhp accelerates the CLK 63 AMG Black Series from zero to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds, a few tenths of a second faster than the standard model with 475 bhp. The top speed is electronically limited to 186 mph (300 km/h).

Redesigned Intake and Exhaust Systems

Mercedes-AMG engineers achieved the increase in power by completely redesigning the intake and exhaust systems. The high-revving, naturally-aspirated AMG engine, with its 6208 cc displacement, gets its fresh air via larger-dimensioned intake ducts. The new AMG sports exhaust system with full-length twin pipes stands out with its unmistakable, pleasant AMG V8 sound. Together with a newly calibrated engine control unit, these measures ensure not only efficient load change behavior, but also let this eight-cylinder unit respond to the accelerator with even greater alacrity.

Power is transmitted through the AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7G-TRONIC. Compared to the standard CLK 63 AMG, the rear-axle ratio of the pur sang special series has been made about six percent shorter – to confer even more agility in acceleration in all speed ranges. For maximum sporting dynamics, the transmission has only the “M” and “S” driving programs; the comfort-oriented “C” is deleted. The driver can switch between the seven gears by using the AMG aluminum shift paddles on the steering wheel, while an indicator in the instrument cluster shows the gear selected at any given time.

Racing Inspiration

The visual appearance of the CLK 63 AMG Black Series shows its racing inspiration. The redesigned front end is descended 1:1 from the Official F1 Safety Car, and its generously dimensioned cooling-air intakes hint at the sophisticated cooling measures. For greater stamina under extreme operating conditions, a larger main radiator and an optimized power steering cooler, as well as an additional transmission cooler are built into the left front wheel arch.

The front fenders are made of high-strength and yet lightweight carbon-fiber composite material. On their flank, a “6.3 AMG” badge hints at the exceptional power of the naturally-aspirated V8. Redesigned side skirts extend to the broad rear fenders, which are in turn connected by a newly developed rear apron. The components taken over from the Official F1 Safety Car include not only the carbon diffusor fins and the integrated chromed dual tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system, but also a cooler for the heavily stressed rear axle.

Adjustable AMG Sports Suspension for Best Track Performance

Like its counterpart in the Formula One World Championship, the CLK 63 AMG Black Series also has a newly developed and quite special AMG sports suspension. The adjustable threaded suspension guarantees optimum road contact and maximum precision. For competitive driving, the driver can create his personal suspension setup: not only the level, but also the compression and rebound stages of the shock absorbers, front-axle track and camber, and rear-axle track are adjustable.

Interior with RACETIMER

The transfer of technology from motor sport, a Mercedes-AMG tradition fostered over decades, is equally evident in the interior of the CLK 63 AMG Black Series. This dedicated two-seater sports touring car not only dispenses with rear seats, but with its bucket-type seats, rich carbon trim and black headliner, displays the functional atmosphere of a true racing car – and thus documents 40 years of Mercedes-AMG motor sport history.

The carbon-embedded AMG instrument cluster with its 200 mph scale furnishes an exclusive ambience and high functionality at the same time. The AMG main menu in the cluster is perfectly tailored to serious racing: it shows the current gear engaged, as well as an upshift recommendation in “M” mode, or alternatively engine oil temperature or battery voltage, as well as the RACETIMER. This last function enables the driver to determine his lap times on a closed course. The RACETIMER stores the time of the fastest lap, average and maximum speeds, and the length of the laps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG Black Series #2

Being nice since 2007.

Is Mercedes-Benz color blind these days?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG Black Series #3

Being nice since 2007.

Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 AMG Black Series #4

Being nice since 2007.

finally
    Gorgeous car, stunning in white. But a dark grey i think is what it needs for that extra menace

I don't know what to think of it yet, but why "only" 500bhp when this engine gives 525bhp in the CL?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Gorgeous car, stunning in white. But a dark grey i think is what it needs for that extra menace
    Amen to that brother! The carbonfibre diffuser/exhaust section looks badass!! Really cool car. And about increasing the power even more, Merc might start gettin to the stage where all its cars start tripping over one another, in both performance and cost. I guess it needs to have some differentiation and bragging rights for its top models. (both this and CL are four seater too, so can carry out same requirements. by giving it less power, keeps the cl owners happy)
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't know what to think of it yet, but why "only" 500bhp when this engine gives 525bhp in the CL?
    Engine breathing?

Back in the day, the SLK32 was down 6bhp on the C32 becuase of the restriction of the shorter exhaust system.

I've never really been a huge fan of the W/A209; this is a definite improvement.

The bigger arches ground the car, and give it a much more aggressive stance than the "regular" version, which always looks to my eye as if the body of the car was never quite intended for the chassis beneath.

I still look forward to the replacement, if it is as much of an advance as the new C-Klasse is over the old, it should be a very impressive competitor to the E32 and A/S5.

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade View Post
    I guess it needs to have some differentiation and bragging rights for its top models.
    Go back and RTA - this isn't some plumped-up luxo-barge, this is intended as a much more focused car, for use on the track as much as the road.

It doesn't compare to anything else in Mercedes' range in this respect.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Engine breathing?

Back in the day, the SLK32 was down 6bhp on the C32 becuase of the restriction of the shorter exhaust system.

I've never really been a huge fan of the W/A209; this is a definite improvement, but I look forward to the replacement.
    I was thinking so, but this being the ultimate CLK couldn't they carve some more vents in the bodywork?

I've decided that I like it except for the carbonfibre bits.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looks absolutely amazing, should actually be black though.

In fact I really like this car...

I think that this is just gorgeous. It has been done perfectly
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

I really like it too. I think its stunning, its like a much much toned down DTM. Got lots of power behind it without the rarity and the cop detector spoiler that the DTM has.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    I've gone to heaven and back...stunning car
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

It's overblown, pointless, irresponsible, and totally stupid. I love it.

Thread Information