Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a hot hatch (?) next year

Thanks for the advise guys.

However, since the test drive with the Alfa my interest has been drawed to that car in a magical way. It may sound a bit weird but I thought numerous times about the car since the test drive, although it is certainly no hot performer and 'even' a 5-dr. The test drive certainly impressed me.

Recently I considered that I needed pure performance. But, going back to my original wishes I always wanted a car I liked for its looks. As the Alfa GT dropped out of the list, the 147 fullfills that part in an eyepleasing way. And thank the designers for making the back doors less visible by hiding the door handles (I know it is an ancient trick by now, but still). Let's say the 5-drs brings some practability in, for the sake of it.

The interior is simply stunning. Brown leather seats and leather steering wheel are extra's I could only dream of. As the car's interior is where I will spend most of the time, this is definitely important. Plus when you look out of the window over the parking lot, the exterior is pleasing too. The seats fit like a glove and every car interior without leather looks boring now.

The car is loaded with options which I will never use, but metallic paint, everything electrical and the leather interior are must-haves. Parking sensors and cruise control are plainly stupid, but yes, they are present as well. Climate control, ah well, why not.

The car's engine is smooth, but with 150 hp on 1.245 kg certainly not ridicously fast. But from 0-100 km/h in 18 seconds to 9 seconds is a major improvement. The car felt powerfull enough for daily traffic, plus with the miles I am making it will certainly not be used as an "Autobahn Sturmer". So in the end I can conclude that this is more then sufficient. Of course, 25-50 horses more would be even better, but I can live with it. Plus again, I would gain 100 hp still over my current car.

Next weekend I would go to test drive a MiTo with 155 hp. The styling of the 147 has more class in my opinion, it looks more "mature" (although I like the MiTo). The Mito is lighter and faster on the other hand. It can easily be (professionally) chiptuned to 170 hp. The 147 can only be tweaked about 8 hp if you are lucky. But should that be the reason to praise the MiTo over the 147? Also the MiTo has an enhanced Grande Punto chassis/drivetrain, which has been more stiffened and is equipped with electric power steering. This would result in a more vague steering experience, while the 147 has a more sophisticated chassis/drive train with hydraulic power steering. Less horses, but more feel in the steering wheel. Although I have been told and read extensively.

Hmm-hmm, the 147 is not the fastest, although equipped with 2-litre engine and certainly no hot hatch. It has 5 doors, which is not preferred in my opinion. Although not being the fastest car on earth it is also not the most fuel economic, average is 10 litres on 100 km. Alfa's are unreliable of course and maintenance costs are high (although that is what everyone is telling me). On the other hand the exterior styling is great, the colour is perfect and the interior is superb. It drives and handles very good and brings a smile on my face. The car has full service history and only 48K on the clock. It is loaded with extra's. Plus : It is an Alfa Romeo, a car with character and it would be my first car worth mentioning.

Reasons enough for checking it out again next Tuesday, I might be interested. The price may drop a bit, let's see where it goes...

PS : I still like Clio RS and the like, but when it comes to style over performance and throw some practability in, I think I have made my choices now. The best of those worlds would be an Alfa GT 3.2 V6 of course, no hot hatch can improve that ... A man should keep dreaming ...

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    147's are great-looking cars for sure. I got a soft spot for Alfas - been wanting a 1600 Giulia myself. How's the reliability on 'em?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    147's are great-looking cars for sure. I got a soft spot for Alfas - been wanting a 1600 Giulia myself. How's the reliability on 'em?
    Thanks. For a Giulia, don't know, but for 147 I will experience for sure.

Today I bought the car

2.0 Twin Spark
    48.000 Km
    Built in July 2008
    1st Owner etc. etc.

Friday evening I can pick it up from the dealership.

More pictures will follow!

End of quest / thread

Nice :-) Have always said that everyone should own at least one Alfa in their lives !
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Enjoy the new wheels!

Good.

Welcome to the wonderful world of depreciation, failing electrics, snapping cam belts, occasional oil leaks etc.

No, really - welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Good.

Welcome to the wonderful world of depreciation, failing electrics, snapping cam belts, occasional oil leaks etc.

No, really - welcome to the club!
    Ah true, but I guess that was my fate after all.

Thread Information