Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallardo V8??

Gallardo V8??

Wow, its been quite a while since I last came on here, hope everyone's cool.

Came across news of a rumoured Gallardo V8 lapping the 'Ring.

LINK

What did you all think? It could be a RS8 in a Gallardo shell, but that wouldnt justify the changes to front and rear.
    Would sound like a good idea, but what was the point of the current R8 then? Does that open the floor for a RS8 (is that what they would call it?) with a V10?? Although Im all for more cool cars, its getting pretty crowded up there. Are companies starting to play Porsche's game of creating multiple varieties of what is essentially the same mix?
    Porsche!

It would be a R8-RS, and Lamborghini could be planning a cheaper car...

Perhaps something to compete more with the lesser of the 911 range? Something to rake in more money for the raging bull.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

A V8 Gallardo would only be forgiveable if it was a stripped-down RWD GT3-RS competitor.

But thats my point, isnt Audi-Lambo stepping on each others toes here? The R8 was supposed to be not only a fast Audi, but upmarket too. My belief was that a v10 was not put in because 1. the RS4 engine was superb and 2. it would directly compete with its cousin the gallardo.

Surely, with a V10 R8 and a V8 Gallardo, we will have have four cars competing with their direct relative, with only look and price to differentiate? Obviously each will have their own characteristics in power delivery etc, but this just seems a slightly absurd step from Lambo to me. They seem to be doing just fine with the models they have at the moment. But who am I to argue with an 'affordable' Lamborghini!!
    Porsche!

I'm looking forward to the economy 4 cyl. version.

I know V-8s have different sounds from V-10s, but how would they know for sure if they didn't look at the car?

Anyway, their products are already clashing, since Porsche owns Volkwagen now. It's really unnecessary to compete amongst themselves.

An R8 RS would be great, but who needs it? By confusing the consumer, they might hurt themselves in the process. It's like the Maybach. An answer to a question no one asked.

I also agree, what the hell is the point of Porsche's competing with Audi's competing with Lamborghini? I mean, at least Porsche has an excuse - they just came into ownership, and there aren't going to close down every project VAG had up. Weiiiird.
    Last edited by McReis; 06-22-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    erm, no, sorry, with the 27 turbo's there may be a chance of it being blown away, you can have chopstick as a trim option and onion rings as speedo surrounds
    So cool. Can the onion rings be scented, so my car smells like a ghetto-riced out crap-burner that just left popeyes, EVERYWHERE I GO?

McDonalds scented air freshners will be available from dealers
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Wow, you guys just went so far off topic.......

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, you guys just went so far off topic.......
    Oh come on. Don't you just love the smell of a 4banger fresh out of the drive-thru fast food place down the block? Especially if its combined with the sound of an oversized exhaust tip.....thats like the make-it-at-home edition of the Audi R8 - its perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    Oh come on. Don't you just love the smell of a 4banger fresh out of the drive-thru fast food place down the block? Especially if its combined with the sound of an oversized exhaust tip.....thats like the make-it-at-home edition of the Audi R8 - its perfect.
    Yeah, so appetizing.......

AFAIK, Porsche does not OWN VW, they have around 30% share in them. And yes, Porsche has been rumoured to be shutting down projects in the early stages that competed with their products - supposedly Audi was going for a mid-size mid-engined sports car, but this was too close to the Cayman for Porsche to allow it, I believe (car mags and internet are my only source).

There is obviously plenty of overlap between brands from the same overall companies, and even within brands. The reason I brought this topic up because it seemed to be going against the grain a bit too much. The R8 has JUST been concieved, so for Lamborghini to venture into the 'mass' market with a V8 seems a bit random.

But after a bit of thought, maybe its not such a bad idea. Maybe Lambo will turn the Gallardo into their '911' - they already have the V10, and the top spec Superleggera. The V8 could round it off I suppose.

I dont envy the decision-making someone with around £90K in their pocket has to make - there are just so many cars to pick from!! Brand loyalty will count for a lot!
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, so appetizing.......
    I hope you know I'm being sarcastic, lol....do you? It'd be amusingly awkward otherwise.

Who knows, maybe Porsche/Audi/Lamborghini are trying to sell more of similar things to save costs, but use similar models to appease people's perceived differences. For example, they might want to make money off of technologies and things from the Audi R8, but want to sell more by putting it on the Gallardo so the rich guy who doesn't know anything will say "HEY ITS A LAMBORGHINI" and buy it, when Lamborghini saved money by borrowing the stuff from Audi. Lamby makes money from another sale, Audi makes money off a car that they didn't build, that the customer wouldn't have bought if it was "only an Audi".

Thread Information