Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well finally some pics...

Well finally some pics...

2011 VW GTI 2 Door with DSG...

Bone stock, had it for 2 weeks now. Already picked up 2 stone chip...slightly regretting the color choice...

Definitely more fun than my previous chariot of choice(or non-choice), a 1998 Camry, but I think pretty much anything is probably more fun than that...(did its job, drove it all the way through school and it hauls a ton of crap and takes abuse). Now to see if this car can live remotely as reliable as the driving appliance like the Toyota...

No plan for the car aside from maybe pad change and tire change + snows for the winter. Maybe I'll think about chipping it....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Excellent choice. Except for the auto.

Enjoy it!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah the DSG was high for the novelty factor.....may live to regret it in the long run....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Yeah the DSG was high for the novelty factor.....may live to regret it in the long run....
    can you elaborate?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I suppose the novelty may wear off, and DSG being DSG, there are more things to go wrong. Within the warranty period it may be fine but maybe after that it might be costly to upkeep....

Right now though I like driving it. Though as much as DSG is an unknown to me in the long run, a VW itself is an unknown too. My family have never owned an European car, so it was kinda odd for myself to buy one. But the price is right....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 03-13-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

To share some experience living with it for 2 weeks now, in good and bad weather. The car is surefooted, very surefooted even in pouring rain at 70-80 mph on the highway. Something I adore coming from a really sloppy driving Camry. I really like the cabin, very quiet at speed, and very nice material. The seating position is pretty good. Though I agree with one of the review I've browsed through that the wheel does not telescope out enough for me. I have long-ish legs so I need to sit further back so my knee don't bend, but as a result my arms are a bit more stretch out than I like. The ride is "controlled", well damped but a bit on the stiff side. I think a big part is the standard 18s for the 2011 cars. The road in Michigan is pretty poor especially in spring when the pavement start to break up, you feel every ripple and crack on the road....

Power is good, not mind blowing but more than enough for everyday need. The idea of being able to up(something like 50bhp and 60+ lb-ft) that with a $600 chipping job is tempting....But the want to keep the car for a while and the possibility of voiding the warranty if caught is holding me back. I have to say though driving it back to back with my father's 2003 G35 the Inifiniti is still more impressive power wise...The VW's brake modulated electronic front LSD emulator, the XDS, works pretty much as advertised and it tightens the line quite nicely under power accelerating from a 2nd or 3rd gear turn(left or right turn when light is green...lol). Have not really explored the cornering limit of the car but you can feel it has quite a bit of grip in reserve.

Gas mileage is a bit poor as noted in the fuel mileage thread. Whether thats a break-in issue or something more rooted remains to be seen. Averaging ~23-ish MPG thus far. The Camry was regularly between 26-30mpg with regular gas, so this car and the Premium gas is going to be a pain....

I like hatch back and the shortness of the car is great, easier to park, easier to live with. Coming from driving a big-ish sedan for nearly a decade its a refreshing change. Its a refreshing change in mentality too now that I actually want to keep the car nice and clean....I pretty much left the Camry coated in dirt for 4 years....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think the colour choice was great.

Good call RM, hope it serves you well.

I'd love to have a spin in it next time you are in TO, hahah.

I love the LSD emulator, do you play the Moody Blues song: "Timothy Leary's dead", while driving?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

lol, I wish its that kind of LSD...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    lol, I wish its that kind of LSD...
    but what is it in reality then?

Edit, oh, yes Limited Slip Dif....just occurred to me.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Congrats on the purchase! Nothing wrong with the color, nice ride

Thanks, I like the black, but its PITA for maintenance...lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Agree on the color, nice looking but a nightmare to look after. I've regret it, and we got it on the Croma, not exactly a looker...

Regarding the stiff ride, it's common on all VAG cars, especially Golfs and A3s.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I wouldn't have gone the black personally, but overall it's an excellent choice of vehicle (and I don't mind the transmission, either)

There have been tales of the transmissions lunching themselves in warranty period (so you should be safe) but they should still know what they're doing, surely.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Great car. Congrats on such a fine purchase :-)
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Thread Information